2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just completed 10k miles in my Galaxy Grey 2.2CTDi SE. I thought I would give a rough idea on my opinions on the car, as I would have found useful when I was looking to buy one.
skaw.JPG
Performance and Handling:
Car has spent 90% of its time on single-carriage way A-Roads and single track B-Roads. It was driven as per dealers instructions (keeping the revs below 3000 for the first 500 miles – although I extended this to 1000). Even while “running-in” below 3000 revs, the trip home on the motorways was relaxed, with the engine performing well within its capabilities.

Now, 10k miles later, the performance in mid range revs between 2000 and 3000 revs is nothing short of electrifying! The 2.2 diesel pulls strongly on any overtaking manoeuvres especially up an incline. The secret to milking the best from the 2.2 unit is to resist the temptation to stay in one gear - change up as the rev counter is around the 3k mark. Petrol drivers may find the turbo lag noticable, but Turbo-Dieselers like me will appreciate the split second wait is worth it for the substantial shove the turbo delivers once it is spinning (accompanied by a satisfying gas-turbine like swoosh and whistle!).

On Winding B-roads, the combination of the taught handling and 3rd and 4th gear can lead to a great driving experience, the cars width and minimal body roll allows smooth progress at the quicker bends.

Running Costs:
Apart from replacement wiper blades due to damage from industrial grit, no spares or warranty work has been required. A set of snow tyres were bought for the winter months.

Fuel Economy seemed off-par at first at around 45mpg, but has steadily improved since 5000 miles. Currently my 30 minute commute to work on undulating A-roads returns about 52MPG. 1.5 litres of the old Castol have been used, but about a quarter of that was lost onto the garage floor as the oil fill point is not easy to get to without a filler.

Practicality:
Internal space is great for a car of this size. I car pool with two gents well over 6 feet high. Both have ample room, although the passenger behind me has limited headroom. The ability of the rear seat to fold up has been used to good effect at times. With the seats folded flat, I have shifted a 900W PA and Bass amp for a gig. I can also fit in my Double Bass with the head resting on the Drivers arm rest, see the photos for proof!
PA in Car.JPG DSC00218.JPG
One Gripe is the poor rearwards visibility, I had parking sensors fitted, and wouldn’t be without them. Rear parking sensors are almost a must for this car.

Overall Impression:
This Vehicle looks great and drives great. I have only had one detractive comment on how the car looks, but that was made by a guy who likes “real cars” and hence drives a 1988 BMW 3-series! Others have commented about the fact it is “moving while standing still”. Others like the Galaxy Grey Colour, which changes hue with the weather!

This is a great car and a credit to those who designed and built it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very good. I agree with all that you have said. The economy varies car to car and of course driving styles!
I went all out to get the price of rear sensors when I first purchased my car. Now most of the time I am ok with out. But if I have a spare £250 lying around may go for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Cheers for the comments guys.

About my driving style, my drive to work has been the yardstick as I have always driven in a consistent way to work. I feel the economy and performance of the diesel has improved with the miles, so yes Munro, I do beleive the engine is "loosening up" all the time.

I would say that when i'm driving home from footie or the gym at night when the roads are quiet and i'm not in a rush, a steady mid 50's mph delivers nearly 60MPG. Then sometimes when the roads are quiet at night, I might only get 45MPG ;).

On a funnier note, I met my pal with the old BMW today, he had broken down! Hilarious!

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I get the feeling you like your spaceship. Thanks for the great write-up it was very informative :D:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Getting same model and colour this wed feel better after reading your thoughts Priesty as a matter of interest what do you pay per litre up there ?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Nice review. I agree completely - engine definitely loosening up...

The only thing I would say is that I find that hanging on to around 3500 rpm before changing up gives best performance...

I've done similar milege too (just come back from first service last week). Getting ~ 45mpg (see RPM comment above!) ;)

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts