2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shell V-Power fuel replaces Shell Optimax

"Shell V-Power is the new and improved fuel which replaces Shell Optimax today. The high octane quality, combined with its optimised formulation, are designed to provide improved performance in many modern cars.

Shell V-Power contains Shell’s unique FMT (Friction Modification Technology) which is designed to reduce friction inside your engine, helping the car run more efficiently. This is the same FMT that is used by the Formula One Ferrari team in their 2006 racing fuels.

Combined with an Octane Rating of 99 RON* and high detergency to help protect your car against harmful deposits, Shell V-Power can help you get more performance and responsiveness from your engine."

Is this going to be any better do people think? I only use Optimax now because I get a much better MPG, but I was considering going back to normal for a bit to see if my car had settled in more yet.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Apols if this has been asked before but has anyone done the maths to see if the extra fuel economy with Optimax outweighs the extra cost ? Obviously there are other benefits of using Optimax but would be interested to know if it works just on the numbers. What extra mpg are people getting using the Optimax/BP Ulimate/Tesco 99, higher octane fuels.

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Posted in the other petrol thread, apparently 8% more cost, and 10% more economy.

This is providing you drive the same way all the time

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'll explain that to the Mrs and see if that convinces her to splash out over £1 per litre of the stuff when "regular" unleaded is advertised a lot cheaper. We're not heavy milers but there's something about spending over £50 to fill up. Thxs

·
Registered
20 Posts
I noticed that Shell has just remarketed Optimax as V-Power (99 RON) in the UK (as of August 23rd 2006).
In Denmark Shell has had the V-Power (97 RON, in danish called Oktan) on their stations since around 2003 and I know Japan has had a 100 RON fuel for ages.

Does anyone have any experience using this type of fuel (the 97-99 RON)?
Will it do any difference in fueleconomy or is it just fancy words by marketingpeople?

Does anyone think there would be a risk of damaging the engine as the engine is supposed to run on 95RON?

- BL

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
The engine isn't designed to run just on 95RON. In fact, it definitely performs better on higher octane numbers.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I always use BP Ultimate. Response seemed quicker and MPG improved but that was in my old Mini Cooper S Works.

Haven't accelerated too fast in my new 1.8 i-Shift as I've less than 1000 miles on the clock, but MPG is averaging 44. :lol:

Book says 'minimum 95RON' so anything lower would not be advisable, higher is OK. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
allan40alt said:
I always use BP Ultimate. Response seemed quicker and MPG improved but that was in my old Mini Cooper S Works.

Haven't accelerated too fast in my new 1.8 i-Shift as I've less than 1000 miles on the clock, but MPG is averaging 44. :lol:

Book says 'minimum 95RON' so anything lower would not be advisable, higher is OK. :lol:
Allan - give it some welly! It wants to be pushed :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds good, I must have missed the part about minimum 95RON i the manual.

I guess I'll swing by Shell and try the V-power next time.

Despite the high prices here (95RON = 1,32€, V-Power 97RON = 1,36€), although I think they're almost aligned with the prices you guys have to pay in the UK.

-BL

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I normally just stick Sainsbury's normal 95 stuff in, unless the mood takes me or there is a problem and only the high octane stuff is available.

Would we really be better off using the higher octane stuffm both in regards to peformance, MPG and engine life? The stuff is a fair bit mroe pricey, and I need a really good reason to go for it regularly.

I do like the sound of the Shell stuff, though...

·
..with Superchips please!
336 Posts
I think the financial benefits of using Optimax/V-Power have been detailed (and proven?) in another post, but believe me, the benefits in improved response are well worthwhile! The advertised promise of reduced engine deposits is also worth thinking about methinks.....for my sins I worked in the petrochem industry for thirty years, and this gave some added insight into various fuel 'recipes' and their long term effect on engines (and the environment!).

I've used Optimax in my previous Alfa for four years or so, and the improvement in acceleration was marked in that car, but I haven't found it quite to the same degree in the Civic - but I haven't really given it any serious 'stick' - yet!

I've traditionally mixed Optimax/V-Power by alternating fill-ups with 'standard' fuel so that the ratio of the premium fuel is about 2:1 and the perceived benefits don't seem to be compromised to any great degree.

I'm lucky in that there are two Shell garages selling V-Power at a particularly low price (£1.00/l) for these parts within 2.5 miles of my home, so this helps of course..... :lol:

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been using Optimax pretty much since I got the car and noticed a marked improvement on MPG in my civic, this and the fact it's supposed to be better for the car and not THAT much more expensive (about 4-5p a litre so about £2.50 more for a full tank) I have always used Optimax in my car.

However, I'm currently on my first tank of V-Power and noticed that the MPG seems to be lower than recently; now I have been stuck in a few traffic jams and stuff so it may be this, but at the moment I'm not too impressed with V-Power!

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Trekker308 said:
basegreen said:
Tesco do a 99RON bio-fuel mix.
Have you tried it BG??
Not yet, I plan to, but the Tesco is far enough away so as to make it annoying in terms of timing my filling. I want to do it when I'm almost empty to get max benefit. I'm almost out now, so I might well give it a go.

It's been on the market quite a while though.

·
..with Superchips please!
336 Posts
"Bio-fuels"

Apologies for the 'senior moment' but I meant to add:-

From my last sight of 'insider' info within the petrochem industry in Feb '06, all fuel providers in the UK and most European countries are commited to offering this style of reduced emission fuel by 2008/9 - there are various different processes to achieve the forthcoming pollutant limits being investigated by the oil companies, but essentially we're going to see all fuel going this way....

·
Registered
20 Posts
We've had the Bio 95 (5% Ethanol) for just about a month here. And just yesterday I read that some swedish scientists have found a higher concentration of vaporized fuel in the air for cars using the socalled green fuel (in this case the one with 5% Ethanol).

So the pollution from the exhaust is actually higher when using that kind of petrol. Also the fact that it is the 1st generation, meaning the Ethanol comes from production plants in Brazil and has to be sailed to Scandinavia, the pollution saved from the environment is minimal at best.

-BL

·
Registered
975 Posts
BP does a 102 octane fuel and has increased the outlets from 6 to 30 due to demand.

COST £2.42 A LITRE

1 - 20 of 56 Posts