2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I wonder is there anyone on this forum board who is associated with the policing authority or the road traffic laws for the UK as I was intending of installing the V-Leds Switch backs. I already have their standard Gen 2 amber indicator but what the switch backs do is in the below video,

basically they turn on as DRL's when the ignition is on full brightness during the daytime and when you indicate they flash amber and the white turns off and then depending on how you wire them they will dim to less than 80% brightness but the leds in this video only dim to 50% when the sidelight is activated again the white dim to 80%, so basically this would do away with my current sidelights as I would be using these switch backs in the indicator location as my new sidelights.

Please see the video above to see what I'm talking about or can anyone suggest how I could install a relay to turn the DRLs off during MOT Time as I think these would fail an mot test and to take them out every year would be a real pain in the butt.

My question is would this scenario be road legal if I was to install these switch backs to my motor vehicle, here is a forum post by grayfox who has been assisting me but he lives in Australia and our laws are much stricter.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/117351-how-installing-v3-triton-switchback-leds.html

I did read our current road laws concerning DRL's and these DRL's do everything that is asked of them and should be road legal my concern is they will be installed where the current indicator is.

So can anyone advise before I purchase these switch backs.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html

Thanks

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I can't see any legal implications here. If the drl's switch off with the indicator and dims with the headlights then it's meeting all the requirements.
You have functional indicators and hazards.

What happens when the headlights are on and the drl's are dimmed to replace side lights, when you indicate does it still turn off the dimmed drl's or does it remain on? As turning off a side light in effect would be a bit of a pain.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can't see any legal implications here. If the drl's switch off with the indicator and dims with the headlights then it's meeting all the requirements.
You have functional indicators and hazards.

What happens when the headlights are on and the drl's are dimmed to replace side lights, when you indicate does it still turn off the dimmed drl's or does it remain on? As turning off a side light in effect would be a bit of a pain.
When the headlights are on the DRL's dim to 80% white brightness & yes when you indicate the white DRL turns off and they flash amber, then when the flashing amber stops or you turn the indicator off the white DRL returns. If you look at the video you can see in both scenarios meaning headlights off and headlights on both occasions the DRL dim and switch off when they indicate.

Only solution would be to leave stock sidelights in situ so on effect the sidelight part when dimmed would be as standard, or can anyone suggest how to turn the drl off and leave the flasher during an MOT Test. I think these flash backs require a constant for the white drl to come on so if this is disconnected then it would mean the flashers would only operate and with leaving the original sidelights in situ everything is status quo I don't imagine the police bothering much but the MOT Test centre we have are bloody strict about such things and to remove these is too much of a pain as wheels have to come off I will wire these into the fuse box optional connector which is under the drives side under steering colum so this would easily be removed with the use of an ato fuse box. Just meas extra wiring and you would have to go through the fire wall from engine compartment to under foot well to internal fuse box.

Only other option and as you have stated they are road legal in effect I could use a relay which is as above only when you apply the sidelights the DRL's turn off completely and leave the flashing amber intact. Would this scenario work as I would then leave the original side lights as is and it is status quo only question then is if I go in with DRL's on to the test centre as they come on with the ignition on for a test and they see them on then when I turn on side lights and the DRL's turn off completely would that be a problem but remember original sidelights are still operational and working as I would elave those intact operational, so it is satus quo then when test day is over re wire then as before with DRL's only & no sidelights then remove the relay, so I could use the relay on test day and would only take 3 mins to rewire with spade connectors via the ato fuse box..

I am also installing a dash camera got one really cheap with CPL lens GPS unit to show speed direction & a continuous power supply kit as these things record when you are not in the vehicle ie they turn on on impact and motion detection if I had one fitted it would have saved me on insurance as i had a run in which was not my fault and a U Tube video shows a man who left his car for a service and when he watched the video they had just parked his car roud the back and did nothing and he was charged £350 which when he showed the vide to the garage they gave a full money refund so these things are dandy wee things indeed, the camera is finevu 500HD wiring it in myself easy to do no big deal as anyone can do it if i can £204 for the whole lot from North Korea tracked FEDEX for $10 shipping amazing on E bay you can pay £299 I got mine on E Bay below I hasten to add it comes with everything mounting bracket and attachemnts just not the camera and it's HD 1080p.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131101836445?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Watch these two u tube videos below.. Amazing stuff & the reason i'm buying one as I got the front of my car scraped cost me £80 to have it painted in professionally and that was a cheap price had I ahd one of these then i could have reported to the police to cough up insurance so a must ahve tool in the drivers tool box not a novelty or a toy but it could back fire as well if you are in an accident and say you were speeding or acting the maggot so beware.

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts
When the headlights are on the DRL's dim to 80% white brightness
The normal kit dims to 50%, if you want to go to 80% you either have to purchase the 80% dim models as well or ask VLEDs if they can do a special 80% kit for you.

Another thing you can do to pass MOT is just remove the +12v ignition wire from the option connector.
This way they will only flash amber, then you can reconnect afterwards.

Be a sly little fox, like me.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The normal kit dims to 50%, if you want to go to 80% you either have to purchase the 80% dim models as well or ask VLEDs if they can do a special 80% kit for you.

Another thing you can do to pass MOT is just remove the +12v ignition wire from the option connector.
This way they will only flash amber, then you can reconnect afterwards.

Be a sly little fox, like me.
Hello Grayfox

Then that is my query answered that is a fantastic way of doing it no relay or nothing, solves my problem I'll purchase a set right now within the next 10 minutes cant wait to get them & Grayfox thank you for all your help on your post I did give you a shout and explained you were helping me out with thsi install as yoru how do was very informative. So problem solved I'll upload videos of the install of the camera and the v-leds switch backs so book mark this page when all the stuff arrives i'll take pictures and give a link to my U tube channel.

I have written to V-Leds and you can see query below.

I WORTE

I was thinking of purchasing your 5K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM | 1 PAIR and would like to ask the following questions. I see you now have a controller for these Switchbacks that can dim these daylight running lights to 80% is it possible to swap the 50% controllers to the 80% controllers? Or would they have to be purchased separately? Or as a valued customer will you swap the controllers for me, kindly or is that not an option?

V-Leds REPLY

All the new V3 switchbacks come with the 80% dimming control box

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There you go I have ordered a set of the switch abcks in 5K colour with the 80% load resistors or controllers or whatever it is you call them so I ahve some new toys coming my way feels like christmas so do you think I would be able to sell my amber V-3 Tritons 2 Gen which have been in less than one year, i'll include all new fittings and use the old ones myself, ie screws washer rings, the controlers and leds will be used.

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts
There you go I have ordered a set of the switch abcks in 5K colour with the 80% load resistors or controllers or whatever it is you call them so I ahve some new toys coming my way feels like christmas so do you think I would be able to sell my amber V-3 Tritons 2 Gen which have been in less than one year, i'll include all new fittings and use the old ones myself, ie screws washer rings, the controlers and leds will be used.
Controller

You can put the old amber ones in the back.
I got plain amber ones and stuck them in the back.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Controller

You can put the old amber ones in the back.
I got plain amber ones and stuck them in the back.
That is all well and good but i have all V3 Tritons in the back 4 x red and 2 x amber, at night and in the long winter months it is amazing the light output when the brakes are applied the weee faces behind me light up nice and red it must be blinding especially the indicators, lol.. By the way all v leds v3 tritons have passed all mot test and inspections never a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I am also installing a dash camera
I've just bought a Mobius B Wide Angle. £114 with all the accessories including a hardwired power connection.

I have a Go Pro HD Hero 3, but at nearly £400 with the LCD back, it's a lot of money to have in the car and TBH the Mobius looks to have better picture quality and its far more discreet.

So far as the switchbacks are concerned, technically unless E Marked they're not legal, but I doubt you'll have any problems. I flew through the MOT with HIDs in.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've just bought a Mobius B Wide Angle. £114 with all the accessories including a hardwired power connection.

I have a Go Pro HD Hero 3, but at nearly £400 with the LCD back, it's a lot of money to have in the car and TBH the Mobius looks to have better picture quality and its far more discreet.

So far as the switchbacks are concerned, technically unless E Marked they're not legal, but I doubt you'll have any problems. I flew through the MOT with HIDs in.
Hello well got my Finevu 500HD today and it came with a CPL FILTER to stop glare and reflections, a continuous power supply which cuts of the power if the volatge of the cars battery falls below below what you have set it at, or you can set a time limit from 6 hrs to 72 hrs or infinity which is indefinitely to turn off power to the cam and GPS sensor so it records speed and direction which can be used on google maps i'm very happy with the price all in this unit cost me £203 and it came with all those accessories so for the peace of mind it actually records when you are not in the vehicle as it is both motion detection and impact detection it is a brilliant wee unit which is hardly seen if placed behind the rear view mirror. So it is an investment that if I had it installed a year ago it would have saved me a garage bill becauase someone hit the front of my car so it needed repaired with this wee thing I could have went to the police and reported the driver cute EH? So thsi is my reason for buying one of these, the Go Pro does not have the motion or impact detection nor does it automatically wipe and record over old videos stored on the sd card, & the go pro is much bigger and cumbersome for thsi type of covert install which to the unspecting motorist will be unseen as they will never see it, the Mobius B Wide Angle I looked at before purchasing the Finevu but the Mobius did not appeal to me asthetically so I ruled it out on a whole lot of factors it is a good unit but I preferred the Finevu just personal preference.

As for the V-Leds I know they are not E marked and my previous V-Leds passed all mot tests including my V3 Tritons which are V-Leds already but not switchbacks which i'll be upgrading to. I plan to install these switch backs in a way which means I can disconnect one of the wires easily to the 12v constant and that in turn will turn of the DLR's off then when test day is over just a doddle to reconnect it and the beauty if that is the indicators still work so the MOT Test center will never know these indicators actually work as DLR's, as well lol.. Thanks to Grayfox this is all possible.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Pictures

Here are some pictures of my new V3 Tritons switchbacks which are my new front end indicators and DRL's my current standard V3 Tritons amber indicators will be replaced with these and my new black box recorder which is the Finevu CR 500HD. The V3 Tritons controller box is much smaller than my previous gen 2 controller box and this controller box dims the DRL's lights to 80% yes you heard right 80% as I asked before purchasing if they could supply this new 80% controller and they stated it now comes as standard as previous model it was 50% which is a bit bright IMHO i'm waiting on a fuse box to arrive from china which will take a further 3 to 5 weeks to arrive so this is all that is holding me up doing this this install, enjoy the pictures. Now I have a spare set of V3 Tritons Gen 2 amber indicators going a begging so will be selling those once these are switched over.

Attachments

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Looking forward to see how the 80% are compared to the 50%
Yea I asked them that question myself in an e mail and the reply was 80% as all their switchbacks now come as standard with 80% controllers I think maybe the 50% weren't dim enough @ night any maybe people in the states were being pulled over for glare or dazzle as I know some states in the USA are very strict with traffic laws even worse than the UK if you send your controllers back they will upgrade or downgrade what ever way you look at it to the 80% controllers and I notice the controllers have shrunk in terms of my current controllers as they are the exact same in design but only these ones are much more compact, now.

I'll throw a video up on U Tube when I have them installed just waiting on no nails double sided tape and an ato fuse multi connector coming.

I'll keep you posted, just sent you an e mail have a look and give me your advice on breaking through that grommet as you did if you read my new post you will see what I'm talking about.. I will start it this weekend if it isn't raining and spend Saturday & Sunday @ it, until it is finsihed.

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts
Yea I asked them that question myself in an e mail and the reply was 80% as all their switchbacks now come as standard with 80% controllers I think maybe the 50% weren't dim enough @ night any maybe people in the states were being pulled over for glare or dazzle as I know some states in the USA are very strict with traffic laws even worse than the UK if you send your controllers back they will upgrade or downgrade what ever way you look at it to the 80% controllers and I notice the controllers have shrunk in terms of my current controllers as they are the exact same in design but only these ones are much more compact, now.
The controllers from gen 1 to gen 2 are way smaller.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ok well I started the drivers side of my car was a real pain as the neck of the water windscreen washer bottle is yes you have guessed it right in front where the indicator bulb needs to go. So I have the wires coming from this unit tucked inside the engine bay tied out of the way as I will need to use the car tomorrow so the indicators work but not the DRL's as they have not been wired in as yet I will start early tomorrow morning and finish off the passkenger side and have it wired in on Saturday or Sunday so will shoot a video of the DRL's with and without side lights being on position during the day & @ night. So you can see what they look like, i'm glad I used flexible plastic trunking for the cabling as the threat of sharp edges cutting the cable will be good protection. I'm knackered, lol it was a real pain doing this job I do not envy audio hifi installers or motor mechanics this is tough what small places Honda make in their motor vehicles no room at all in the engne bay or under the wheel arch. Final question how to you get the side panel off to get at the fuse box? I take it just pops off why you pry it off with a flat bladed instrument

Attachments

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well got the wires all tidied up in the engine compartment must say it look factory especially with the plastic circular automotive tubing, pierced through the firewall grommet and it was successful did not break any of the cars wiring loom. I also installed my new Pioneer 8600 AVH BT double din head unit when I was at it that also was a task and a half anyway i'm yet to finsih the install of these DRL's which will be tomorrow morning thank god that is finished would hate to do that again as it was a lot of work, fiddly and you do have to take your time with this sort of install.

Attachments

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ok got the switchbacks fitted & wired & working they look fantastic and when you flick the sidelights the switchbacks dim by quite a bit so much so they do make for very good sidelights though I have left my side lights in situ. I will try and upload a video of the switchbacks in operation during the day and @ night and upload it to YouTube for you to see. A lot of fiddly time consuming work not an easy install but was worth it because every Civic driver out there will be wondering why does my Civic not do that, lol..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
a great job. I have a question: is light DRL switch off automatically when the parking lights are on?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts