2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just finished adjusting the valve clearance on my 1.8 petrol (glad i did, as almost all of them needed adjustment).

When putting the cylinder head cover back on the engine, i over tightened and broke one of the screws (number 1 in the photo). Half of it is threaded into the block...

I've beaten my self up for being so careless - my torque wrench has a minimum setting of 13 NM (9.8 seems to be the recommended) and thought i would just give it a try doing it manually with another wrench...

I haven't started the engine yet - letting the silicone in the new gasket cure.

Apart from a new head block, is there a way of removing the part of the screw threaded into the block?

Do you reckon an oil leak is to be expected or anything worse?

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Thanks
Pedro

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can't you just remove the cover if there's no head on the bolt and turn it back out with a pair of mole grips?

Or are you saying it's cross threaded and knackered the threads in the hole?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Or if the bolt has snapped too far down and you can't get the grips on it then you can try a bolt extractor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or if the bolt has snapped too far down and you can't get the grips on it then you can try a bolt extractor
Thanks Hipwell,

Yes, that's the current status of the thing.
I'll have a look into that tool.
While the issue isn't sorted, what can be the potential problems coming from this?

·
Enjoying life
8,510 Posts
I can't quite see the set up for the 1.8. Here's mine I threaded on the ep3. It was one that bolted into the cylinder head. Bought a replacement, straightforward swap.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's the *******!

Already went for a drive - the engine is smoother and i notice a bit more response on the throttle.

I drove the car for half an hour, including motorway, to get the oil really hot - happy to report there are no oil leaks for the moment, fingers crossed...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I can't quite see the set up for the 1.8. Here's mine I threaded on the ep3. It was one that bolted into the cylinder head. Bought a replacement, straightforward swap.
Thanks for your reply, but i think i might have a different issue in my hands.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts