2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on tweaking a few things on my FK2R since delivery back in November, so i'm well overdue a project thread for you lot to enjoy :)

First, delivery day:

Enjoyed it stock for about 2-3 weeks to see the weak parts that needed improving on.

GT spec comes with improved audio which i found reasonable and plenty of noise for me, but just lacked the deep notes.

Fun and games was had with the audio (i'll see if i can find more in my library's later on) which i resorted to dual-amping the system. A 4ch 65w Kenwood for the main speaker system (gain on lowest), and also a Pioneer 600w mono amp for the subwoofer. Way overpowered for what i need (gain also very low), but was ex-display at a reasonable discount so would of been silly to choose the 400w model at the same price.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
6-8weeks pass, and i'm seing considerable wear on the genuine mats which i'm not overly chuffed about.
Off to trawl the 'net for a solution and i end up using ebay for a heal plate to stop the wear to the carpet and further reduce wear to the fitted carpet.

genuine knock-off Mugen branded, no less, so you know it'll make the car quicker :D

Shortly after, i notice a scratch on the driver door sill area. Looking around, none of the genuine or the many ebay variants covers the area was scratched so onwards with the stick on tape. It's also a look i like; low profile, functional, and the black textured finish. All 4 door sills were done, here's 2 of them

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couldnt get a decent image at the time with my phone which seems to struggle in low-light without flash, but we got some DIY'd footwell lighting. Wiring ran down from the door-open interior light so they only come on when doors are opened.

Next up we had to do something about the glossy black steering wheel control surround plastic. When the sun was infront of you, there was too much reflection off them so i spent a while looking for possible solutions like sanding, buying the standard 9th civic surrounds (google images said they were matted). I ended up with 3M's 3D matte carbon fibre film. While there is very minor imperfections, i doubt the first time could of gone much better. i might re-apply one day, but those imperfections are now invisible and you really have to look for them or know where they are to be annoying

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Final post for tonight. Over the last week now it's warming up for summer, my winter wheels finally arrived. Original order was Fox FX004's, but issues in shipping caused a 6month delay between ordering and giving up just wanting something delivered, i now have Riva DTM alloys.
these DTM's need a fair bit of balancing - 65g on one edge for 2 of them so far from quality kit, but a) their for winter duty only, b) were bought on a tight budget. didn't make any sense to blow £1200 on metal for winter kit.

Test fit of the wheels to ensure i don't need spacers; all good! 7.5x18 ET42's fit over the Brembo's with a few mm to spare. Tighter than standard 19" clearances that for sure.

once alloys arrived, tyres were bought. 225/40r18's. Pair of NokianWR-A3's and Bridgestone LM-32's to directly compare with each other to get a benchmark

Likely wont be till winter starts up before i get them fitted to the car.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mod threads are an expensive hobby :lol:
Agree on the mats, mine were shocking & definitely not worth over 100 quid
Hhopefully wont be much more expensive now i've got most of the essentials bought now.
Remus cat-back due to be fitted when they get the RHD front section sorted (hoping to get a new fitting date in the in the next 3weeks).

I've toyed with the idea of the remus responder but i like the linearity of pedal in non +R mode. Maybe if it was always set, I'd like it more but +R just too firm for roads to get used to the improved response over a full week. Doesn't seem to add much other than faking throttle position, so why not save £155 and just push my foot further down :p
A BOV has crossed my mind as well, as has the pipercross panel filter or induction kit. I'm holding out till i see prices on TDI-North or Injens kits before deciding.

All this is dependent on the noise the Remus gives. I'm not looking for big power or major changes just a few tweaks and changes with bolt-on parts to compliment the car. Even a remap looks unlikely.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
little teaser for what I've been upto today..

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Not the best of pictures of the weekend work, but I'm having to move the dog into the boot (instead of back seat with seat cover) so i needed to move the amps to the sub-boot area. My skills aren't good enough to get the 10" sub in there due to how tight it'll be (<10mm accuracy with an uneven floor to worth with). At least with the amps no longer attached to the sub enclosure, i can remove the sub as needed and still keep audio in the car.

wiring looks a bit messy, but it's to keep the quick-release connections I fitted instead of hardwiring. I have been thinking about putting a top cover over it with amp cutouts to visually tidy it up, but seems like a pointless luxury when it's going to be hidden by the sub-boot door almost permanently.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
small update on this weeks mods:
Option connector arrived along with the 5x 3way distribution block. Block has ground and ign 12v, with one column spare for future use. Means hardwiring radar detector and dash cam instead of using the 12v points with cables across the dash and free for phone charging use.

also a bit of anti-rattle curing of the map-light unit, which once i test a bit more to ensure it's fixed, a how-to will be posted as i havent found one so far...

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, had a few more things planned over the upcoming months, but due to stone chips i'm having to redirect money towards fending them off.
I'm due in to a place at the weekend to get the rear arches and bonnet covered with ventureshield. I'm also planning on getting it back to them for the front bumper once i figure out some stone chip repairs on it. There's been a big one appeared over the last day or 2 that will be too obvious to cover, but doubt I'll be able to get it repaired in time.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
wanner69's light smoke fog light covers have just arrived. Car is getting partially ventureshielded today, so cant fit 'em yet.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Car is back from Venturesheilding, and they did an excellent job.

fog light covers first thanks to @wanner69 - light smoke covers, left has it, right is naked.

both sides fitted:

closeup:

venturesheild rear arch protection that BodyguardUK in Daventry had to pattern up. I like the attention to detail to follow the natural curves of the arch contours. He now has a full 9th gen typeR kit; full front (bonnet, wings, bumper, lights, mirrors, and now the rear arches). I've just gone for bonnet and rear arch so far as i need to do a bit of touch up on the bumper for stone damage.

once it stops raining here, i'll grab some more pictures of the venturesheild application, but i'm really impressed with it.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 108 Posts