2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me how to operate the VSA control properly? We had a terrific snow storm in North Somerset last night. Our driveway is fairly steep, and although I had swept it of the snow, and it was not freezing, I found it very difficult to get our new (2006) Civic up the drive. The engine kept stalling, and the wheels were spinning. There was a burning smell, so I hope I have not done any damage to the gear box!?Previously, my wife had returned home, and had left the car in the road, because of the weather conditions, and had also experienced the same problem on the level. Should we have turned off the VSA in these circumstances/conditions, so as to give the car better grip up the drive? I only thought about the VSA afterwards, when I looked at the manual. Any help or suggestions wouls be appreciated. Thank you.:confused:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Can someone please tell me how to operate the VSA control properly? We had a terrific snow storm in North Somerset last night. Our driveway is fairly steep, and although I had swept it of the snow, and it was not freezing, I found it very difficult to get our new (2006) Civic up the drive. The engine kept stalling, and the wheels were spinning. There was a burning smell, so I hope I have not done any damage to the gear box!?Previously, my wife had returned home, and had left the car in the road, because of the weather conditions, and had also experienced the same problem on the level. Should we have turned off the VSA in these circumstances/conditions, so as to give the car better grip up the drive? I only thought about the VSA afterwards, when I looked at the manual. Any help or suggestions wouls be appreciated. Thank you.:confused:
VSA can be turned off, however traction control can't (that's what I've been told).

I don't think you can do anything about it. Sorry mate.

@robbo51: I hope you are right. I thought VSA's use was for keeping the car on the road:)

·
R - 11859
625 Posts
You should have turned the vsa off in the snow because it works overtime to try to find grip when there is none. Same applies if you are in field.

The smell sounds like your clutch slipping. Not a good thing to do.
You'll be better leaving the car at the bottom of the drive or try a slower approach maybe in 2nd gear and not first, but try not to slip the clutch.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Agreed. Turn it off. I sometimes do this myself for the few critical seconds when I need every bit of traction I can get.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
VSA works by cutting back power and selectively applying the brakes as it sees fit.
It does this under some sort of complex black magic, and is primarily designed to try and get you safely round a corner.

I've always been told (and do) turn it off in the snow, as it's one more thing which can get confused by what the car is doing, and it's actions may be contrary to what you want to happen.

As above, VSA off, 2nd gear, low ish revs, and don't slip the clutch, and you should be fine :)

In your particular case though, it's a balance between parking it on the drive (away from out of control drivers on the road, but hassle of having to clear the drive and negotiate back down it in the morning), or leaving it one road (less hassle, unless one of the above drivers smacks it...)

·
Administrator
19,185 Posts
Never knew any of that so I am glad I read it - great info thanks.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Also as the car id front wheel drive it will go up the slope much better in reverse (always better to back into your drive anyway ;-) )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:) Thank you all for your VERY helpful replies. I am sorry to labour the point, but are we saying that in VERY VERY wet weather or when the road is snowy and icy, we should always turn off the VSA? You can probably tell I am not very mechanically minded! Any further advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
No, I wouldn't do that - it's in these conditions the extra help to stabilise the car is most useful.
I only turn it off as a last resort when i sense the VSA is about to grind the car to a halt.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
At very slow speeds (pulling off / parking) in those conditions, I would turn VSA off.

At anything above those speeds I most definately make sure it was turned ON! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
After this morning's incident, thank god for vsa ! On the way to work, coming round the last corner, looked like a light covering of snow, probably only doing twenty, car starts to go sideways. Already in front of me is a car that's had the same problem ... Ford Focus.... not so lucky, pranged the side of the road with wheel off ! Managed to avoid this car by about a metre, vsa kicked in and got me in a straight line again, honestly thought it was going to be a trip to the repair shop !

·
Dandy Don
170 Posts
Not being with my car at the moment, I have a quick question.

Can I start moving without VSA enabled (in the snow) and turn it on while I am driving? Or would I need to stop?

Thanks

Stu

·
Civic's got Big Booty !
184 Posts

Can I start moving without VSA enabled (in the snow) and turn it on while I am driving? Or would I need to stop?

Thanks

Stu
You can turn it on or off either when standing still or moving, it makes no difference.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

Thanks

Stu
That sounds good to me!

"He called me a fatalist.
But I've never collected a stamp in my life!"

·
R - 11859
625 Posts
After this morning's incident, thank god for vsa ! On the way to work, coming round the last corner, looked like a light covering of snow, probably only doing twenty, car starts to go sideways. Already in front of me is a car that's had the same problem ... Ford Focus.... not so lucky, pranged the side of the road with wheel off ! Managed to avoid this car by about a metre, vsa kicked in and got me in a straight line again, honestly thought it was going to be a trip to the repair shop !
That was lucky mate :VroumVroum01:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

......and if they read what we think about Frauds Focus on this site they will say that you did it on purpose!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes, faster than any invention in human history.
With the possible exception of handguns and tequilla!"

·
Registered
35 Posts
That was lucky mate :VroumVroum01:
Yep think I'll be taking it a little easier tomorrow morning !

Have watched a few videos about VSA, but until it digs you out of a potential smash you dont really appreciate it !

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
More on the VSA here:
VSA - Civinfo Wiki

As said below, you can turn it on or off while on the move, but always keep it on unless your think you might get stuck in snow at slow speeds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts