2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All Honda cars have this mysterious "recirculation" mode in their ventilation controls. What does it mean? Does it actually circulate the air inside the car without taking in new air from the outside? If it does, what is its purpose? My guess: it's a "hold your breath while passing through a stinky zone" button. Correct? :) But won't the drivers and passengers pass out if recirculation is on for too long?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I drive with this ON more than OFF to be honest, saves breathing in the fumes from everyone's cars - not passed out yet and I've done this on my previous two Ford motors as well :)

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I drive with the Climate Control on Auto all the time and this changes the air circulation from inside to outside automatically. On a hot day the Climate recircs the air until the cabin is at working temperature and then switches to outside air.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Skaven - every car has a recirc mode. Trouble is you can steam up inside, and often the air is taken from the feet area (not nice in some cases)....

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pottsy said:
Trouble is you can steam up inside
... but wouldn't the air conditioning take care of this by condensing humidity out of the air?

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Yes it does - the steaming up problem is only in the winter when the aircon is disabled (don't know exactly what temp in the Civic, but normally 5C or so).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn't in such cases the automatic climate control run both heating and cooling simultaneously? It's a waste of energy, certainly, but it would dehumidify and heat the air. There's a special de-misting button, I recall, does that do exactly that?

(Yeah, I'm teh n00b, I ask a lot of questions. Hope you don't mind answering.) :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
For those who already have their Civics - Quick question.

Does tha manual state that the Diesel variant has a 'Pre-heater' for the aircon. It is a fact that on a very cold morning, a diesel can take a long while for the heating system to get warm air through to the cabin, unlike some of the modern petrols. The diesel is so efficient that there is a lot less waste of engine energy that can be turned into cooling heat.

On the Golf MK5 - If it is a cold morning, certainly well below the temperature that the Air-con will work, say -3 degrees. You can still put the car in Auto/climate mode, this turns a heater on which heats up the coolant fluid independantly of the engine temeprature - The result is warm air into the cabin within a couple of minutes.

May not seem like a big deal, but if you have gone from a petrol to diesel and have not experienced a cold morning start yet, then I reckon you may notoice it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been using the re-circulating air feature recently as I suffer from hay fever and have been told it helps! It makes sense to me...

·
Administrator
21,167 Posts
The pollen filter should be sufficient to suppress it without resorting to recirc.

I've found that on most cars recirc should be used sparingly as misting up is a side effect. I think recirs should be on a timer if you set it manually because I'm always forgetting to turn it off.

·
Registered
161 Posts
if you turn the heater dial down to min - and then turn of the climate control
Ive noticed that I have a heat soak coming thru the vents ...
Its a definte warm very weak breeze - why is this ...
I know that all cars allow air to come circulate around the car even with its off...
But if the climate control is off but set for cold before - shouldnt when its off - see the setting is for cold and just let normal air from outside come in to the cabin

And this has happened on a hot day where the temp outside is probably higher than inside when i noticed this...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts