2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to All,

I am going skiing next week with the R. Four people, roofbox, lot of luggage, but the main thing that my otherwise warm garage (10-11 C) kept baby will be kept outside under the blue sky without moving for a week probably in very cold, -10-20 C.

I plan to fire the engine and run it for 10-15 minutes each day to warm up the oil, but without driving the car anywhere.

What do you think, is it necessary at all, or can it cause harm to the engine?

Your advice are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Hi to All,

I am going skiing next week with the R. Four people, roofbox, lot of luggage, but the main thing that my otherwise warm garage (10-11 C) kept baby will be kept outside under the blue sky without moving for a week probably in very cold, -10-20 C.

I plan to fire the engine and run it for 10-15 minutes each day to warm up the oil, but without driving the car anywhere.

What do you think, is it necessary at all, or can it cause harm to the engine?

Your advice are appreciated.
I wouldn't bother doing that it will do more harm than good, just wait until you are going to actually drive it, clear the snow/frost while it idles then on your way!

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I'd leave it stood until you're ready for leaving. There's always the temptation to use it on a short journey when it's cold, why not take a trip to a different mountain one day to give it a good run?

Very brave taking your car in the first place. The hire car I used was a wreck by the end of the week when I went skiing.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd leave it stood until you're ready for leaving. There's always the temptation to use it on a short journey when it's cold, why not take a trip to a different mountain one day to give it a good run?

Very brave taking your car in the first place. The hire car I used was a wreck by the end of the week when I went skiing.
Good idea, I'll take her to a nice drive in those mountain roads. Wrecking a car during skiing???? I don't have children yet and no eating, smoking, sexing is allowed in the car to the friends who come with us :)

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
As above, would be better to go a drive.

Starting the engine up for 10-15 minutes and not driving it will drain the battery and won't warm the engine up sufficiently.

Have a good holiday :D

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I wouldn't bother doing that it will do more harm than good, just wait until you are going to actually drive it, clear the snow/frost while it idles then on your way!
Just the opposite if driving it, not long enough if not.

Most of the wear occurs during those 1st few minutes of driving and reversing is particularly bad.

Allowing the car to warm before setting off is a very good idea and will reduce wear. I personally allow mine to warm until the needle just starts to climb the temp gauge scale. By then there's some warmth and the oil has had plenty of time to thin and circulate. Others may have other ideas of how long / much.

Only thing is when warming your car, stand right next to it. Theft from warming is a problem and most insurance companies won't pay out if you have the car stolen with the keys in the ignition.

There are some after market alarm systems that allow you to start and warm the car with the doors deadlocked. I'm not sure if they have any further precautions against theft.

If you need to charge the battery as you do, then you need to start it, let it warm, then sit in it and run it with some throttle - I'd say about 2500rpm. This will really get the alternator going as if you were driving and get some charge back into the battery. I'd give it at least 10 mins of this. I'd also be tempted just to move it a few feet back and forwards at the end just to free the brakes.

·
Wife & Civics to support
235 Posts
Just the opposite if driving it, not long enough if not.

Most of the wear occurs during those 1st few minutes of driving and reversing is particularly bad.

Allowing the car to warm before setting off is a very good idea and will reduce wear. I personally allow mine to warm until the needle just starts to climb the temp gauge scale. By then there's some warmth and the oil has had plenty of time to thin and circulate. Others may have other ideas of how long / much.
Are you making this stuff up as you go along? An idling engine will take far, far longer to warm up than one started up and driven carefully straight away and not over rev'd. The longer the engine takes to warm up the more wear is taking place inside the engine. :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I think this thread was about whether or not to start his car every day to warm it up and not use it, not about the time to leave it before driving In cold weather. So I would suggest not to warm it up every day and not use the car leave it until you are leaving your holiday. I agree with nighthawkES with regards warm up time before driving off, start it up leave for a couple of minuets to settle then drive carefully until the car is up to temp otherwise you could add more ware on the engine.

So to recap I would suggest NOT starting and warming it up and not driving it.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem just to leave it, but bring jump leads just in case.

If you want to start it up, don't just let it sit and idle, take it for a good drive so the whole car warms up completely.

We leave cars outside in that temperature all the time and think nothing of it. :D

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
the only thing I can suggest is, if you leave your car to stand for a week or so just make sure you have the auto wipers and lights in the off position as it has been reported the sensor can have a very small drain on the battery.

assuming you have a GT spec ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.