2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

my R has done almost 139k miles and I feel like I've been straining the poor thing.

bought it on 16k miles, then up to 54k miles ish it was all town driving since then it's been 3 years and mileage has crept up to 139k which is about 85k miles, all of it has been on motorway.

Oil it does like to drink, especially when i'm idling in traffic at junctions etc, it will do in about 500ml every 600 miles.

I just wanted to know with such high mileage, what do I need to get checked out? not sure where the oil consumption is coming from as I know its a trait of the R but it seems very high compared to people on here and I don't really rag it, given my daily commute is 120 miles!

does timing chains need replacing? tensioners etc?

also how much would the car be worth? front end is stone chipped badly, otherwise interior is in pretty good shape

I change oil every 4 months or so however the valve clearances have only been checked twice and both times I've never needed an adjustment.

Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dont worry about oil, mine with 94k uses abot the same amount of oil, and it was using much more when i was using 0W-30 (it was about 700-900ml depends from driving style).
What oil you are using?

·
Enjoying life
8,530 Posts
Mine uses hardly any oil.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using edge 5w40

Well I'm not exactly ragging it so I'm
Just a bit concerned about the oil usage, especially when it's sat below 4K revs most the time!

Just worried especially as it's high mileage! It started doing it a few years ago now but I feel it's got progressively more oil thirsty!

·
Premium Member
6,705 Posts
That oil usage is high. Definitely no leaks?

I'd start by looking at valve stem seals. The valves might benefit from relapping on such high mileage.

When were the clearances last done? Any reason why you've done them on the 1.8 schedule?

Chain is life of the engine so it isn't on the service schedule. Personally, I'd change it along with the tensioner and inspect the guides while it's off.

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
I like the suspension, so much so I only just had the shocks replaced lol not too bad for 138k
the suspension is really not as bad as people try and make it out to be, yes its very firm but it is a type r that would be set up for a track.

also try a compression test as it very easy to do and low compression may mean the rings are gone.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've done the pic valve before so I'm not gonna do
It again.

Clearances do a while ago tbh, there's no reason I did it on the 1.8.

I'm guessing checking the valve stem seals And also the other work is gonna cost me a bomb...

Like how much we talking for that work? There definitely ain't any leaks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Valve stem seals should give you a blue cloud from exhaust when coming off higher revs. Get someone to drive behind you and check by accelerating hard on first and second and coming off throttle for good couple of seconds.
If there's no smoke, no burned oil smell from the exhaust i wouldn't worry. Read somwhere on this forum that apparently up to 1l per 1000 kilometers i deemed as within spec. People have no oil usage, through medium to use like on our cars. I said this before - this is my 3rd Type R, first one burn oil, but around 200-300 ml per 1k kilometers, second one didn't take anything (ok - 200ml per 5k kilometers) and this one burns biggest amount of oil but it feels more powerfull than other two :) Lot depends how engine was run in.
Oil consumption is not death sentence - my motorbike has 10k miles mileage and takes 1l per 600 miles and it's within manufacturer spec.
In your case with high mileage you will have problems with selling it at decent price, so don't bother, keep using it and don't invest more money in to this car apart from your normal servicing.
Maybe out of intrest try to use the car more hard and see if you will go over 1 liter.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Mine seems to be burning around 600ml every two weeks. Doing around 400 miles a week at the moment and most is motorway miles... has only done 58k! Also slightly concerned about my oil use... using 5w40 too.

Sorry for the hijack!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts