2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Hoping someone may be able to offer some insight into a problem I am getting every once in a (long)while.

It's happened about 4 times in the past 4 months. Basically, the steering goes massively heavy for about a second, I get a blink of an orange light on the dash (never managed to work out exactly which one it is as it disappears so quickly and I'm usually concentrating on not crashing!).

It feels like what I imagine driving with a flat tire is like. The car feels like it's pulling to one side and it feels like you are braking.

It first happened immediately after having my Clutch Mater Cylinder replaced at Honda. I drove out the garage, pulled out onto the main road and when rolling up to some traffic lights it went bonkers for a few seconds.

My gut feeling is that it's the VSA kicking in when it shouldn't be, but it does feel like its actually braking - is that possible?

Any help appreciated :)

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
EPS? There have been a few issues with the EPS unit on startup (although I've not heard of a problem whilst driving) and would explain the error that flashes up and the heavy steering. Might actually get stored as a fault code so something to check there and would give a dealer some grounds to investigate.

Does the orange light look anything like this?

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.

I've never had it at startup.

The only light I can definately see is an orange one above the fuel guage. I'm pretty sure nothing pops up the in the middle of the revs. I would imagine anything popping up in there is also accompanied by a 'bing' sound? I definately don't get any of that. I know the VSA light is up around the top right somewhere which is why I guessed it might have been that.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Thanks for the help.

I've never had it at startup.

The only light I can definately see is an orange one above the fuel guage. I'm pretty sure nothing pops up the in the middle of the revs. I would imagine anything popping up in there is also accompanied by a 'bing' sound? I definately don't get any of that. I know the VSA light is up around the top right somewhere which is why I guessed it might have been that.
Unlikely to be the EPS then as the dash would display as above.
Best bet is to get it into a dealer and have the fault codes checked, see if it's throwing anything up. I assume it's just random when it occurs?

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems to be random. Has happened when driving in a straight line twice, twice when going round corners. Twice soon after starting up and twice in the middle of a journey. Weird.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Maybe an ABS sensor is faulty or needs a clean?

Mine were well and truly filthy with filings
I would guess that this could trip the ABS sensor if they get too bad

Whip the wheel & disks off and have a look

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'm going to take it into Honda this weekend as it only has a month of warranty left I might aswell see if they can find something. They've been pretty useless in the past so I'm not expecting anything so may have a look myself if they don't find anything.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Honda offered to come and collect the car from me today and they've just called me to say they've looked at it and they reckon it needs a new 'yaw' sensor? Either way, covered under warranty but they have to have my car for 4 days to fully diagnose it apparently :(

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Well Honda offered to come and collect the car from me today and they've just called me to say they've looked at it and they reckon it needs a new 'yaw' sensor? Either way, covered under warranty but they have to have my car for 4 days to fully diagnose it apparently :(
Glad you've got it under warranty but a bit of a bummer you'l lose the car whilst they investigate... hopefully the stored fault codes will allow them to pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
191 Posts
This happened to me before during turning and hitting bumps. Ended up being the negative battery terminal not being secured tightly after the battery was replaced.

Lucky nothing was damaged! Tighted it myself and all is well. Might be worth a quick look.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting you say that, I can reproduce the problem on a certain corner on my way to work every time. It's a fairly open but bumpy corner. I thought I was just pushing it a bit hard and with it being bumpy, the VSA was doing it's thing but I guess that may not be the case.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So Honda have had the car for 3 days now and have so far been unable to reproduce the problem. Doesn't suprise me as it's rare that it happens but it's frustrating as they said it happened to them twice last time they had the car.

I suspect they will do nothing unless they can get an error code logged. However, they said that it hadn't logged any when I brought it in and I know it's happened several times so I doubt they will manage to make it produce an error.

So I'm expecting a phone call this afternoon telling me they can't find anything wrong with it :(.

Even more annoying because the car has 1 month of warranty left. If it gets worse in the future and they do manage to find a fault it's gonna cost me!

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Even more annoying because the car has 1 month of warranty left. If it gets worse in the future and they do manage to find a fault it's gonna cost me!
No - you have reported the problem within your warranty period so should be OK if needs fixing after your warranty has expired :) - but not 5 years later :p

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honda have done with the car. They never found a definate fault with the yaw sensor. They did say the tracking was well out so they have carried out 4-wheel tracking and also 'cleaned some wires' which I'm hoping means sensors or something. Apparently they've put loads of miles on it with a diagnostic computer plugged in and it was all fine. Will be picking up this evening, hope all is well :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Honda have done with the car. They never found a definate fault with the yaw sensor. They did say the tracking was well out so they have carried out 4-wheel tracking and also 'cleaned some wires' which I'm hoping means sensors or something. Apparently they've put loads of miles on it with a diagnostic computer plugged in and it was all fine. Will be picking up this evening, hope all is well :)
Sorry to bother you but your prob sounds similar to mine and im actually desperate to have it sorted. have you had the problem reoccuring or has it been cured. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Mine also randomly had the vsa light flash up this morning in the first corner I took after starting up? Strange if anyone works out what this is it would be good to know

·
Registered
26 Posts
just letting u know if changed poor quality back tires and got laser alignment, car was out of alignment and is now going like a dream.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts