2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
My 2006 civic 2.2 ctdi has started to make a very load noise it sounds like a motorbike lol.
Sometimes does it on start up and sometimes when I'm driving, only lasts about 10 seconds to a minute then its fine.
Just done a engine flush and oil filter change just incase its a chain tension problem but seem 2 load to be that.
possible DMF but how can I tell. I lost the undertray on the motorway so its not that just changer idle pully and tension pully and new belt so its not that.
Anyhelp would be great cheers john

·
more torque than the mrs
6,623 Posts
Hi all
My 2006 civic 2.2 ctdi has started to make a very load noise it sounds like a motorbike lol.
Sometimes does it on start up and sometimes when I'm driving, only lasts about 10 seconds to a minute then its fine.
Just done a engine flush and oil filter change just incase its a chain tension problem but seem 2 load to be that.
possible DMF but how can I tell. I lost the undertray on the motorway so its not that just changer idle pully and tension pully and new belt so its not that.
Anyhelp would be great cheers john
I have known noisey dmf especially in the colder months, a vw golf I had sounded like someone had chucked a load of spanners in the gearbox on start up.. but like yours cleared up after a while.so could be the same issue for you.... good luck

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have known noisey dmf especially in the colder months, a vw golf I had sounded like someone had chucked a load of spanners in the gearbox on start up.. but like yours cleared up after a while.so could be the same issue for you.... good luck
Cheers ** the tension pulley wasn't changed we took it off and greased it but now its loud aswell lol could be that getting it looked at over next couple of days hope its nothing 2 bad been a great car over the last 3 years

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers ** the tension pulley wasn't changed we took it off and greased it but now its loud aswell lol could be that getting it looked at over next couple of days hope its nothing 2 bad been a great car over the last 3 years
Looks like I have sorted it well will do thusday the crank pulley is shot big time its about to free spool the whole pulley has split and moving side to side . its been catch the block hence the noise.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,623 Posts
Looks like I have sorted it well will do thusday the crank pulley is shot big time its about to free spool the whole pulley has split and moving side to side . its been catch the block hence the noise.
result better than a new flywheel..:wink3:

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I had a grinding noise exactly as you described this week (petrol ).

A quick Google search found a known issue with the ground terminal of the starter motor that can cause this noise. Although it appears different on the fn2, I did find the battery terminal lead was loose. Since tightening this I've not had the issue in the last 24 hrs, so before spending money on expensive work trying to find a fault by elimination, I'd try checking and tightening your battery leads and any grounding leads in the engine. I actually loosened all the grounds on my parso kit and sprayed wd40 under the nuts before retightening them to give better conductivity and rust prevention.

Just posting this in case anyone else has this issue and it turns out to be grounding rather than a worn part as in your case.

It seems to affect all civics including 2016 and there's apparently a service bulletin about it :

http://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/start-up-grind-2691016/

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Just for information, on mine it turned out not to be the starter connection but 2 exhaust heat shields which had rusted through at the nuts and fallen down and were vibrating, 1 under the bonnet and 1 at the rear. An hours labour later and 2 rusty heat shields removed (the dealer assured me they aren't necessary for safety on Hondas but a H&S requirement on car makers - he says they've removed dozens including the ones on his own car), and everything is as right as rain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts