2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really annoying vibrating noise that has appeared down in the left side of my engine bay when the car is at low revs or idling. When parked it will be really noticeable for a few seconds then it'll disappear for a moment then re-appear again, anyone got any ideas what may be causing this noise as it's really starting to bug me. Many Thanks.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
When you say left side, do you mean when looking under the bonnet (i.e the drivers side)? If so, then it'll either be something driven by the auxiliary belt or worn timing chains... remove the belt and see if the noise goes away or not.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, got someone taking a look at it for me tomorrow, hopefully it's not something too major & can get it sorted pretty easily. Will update when I find out the cause of the noise.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi There, I've had someone take a look at my car and have a good listen to the noise I posted about on this thread, I've had the aux belt off & the noise is still there. The chap that looked at it used to be a mechanic, he's of the opinion that the noise is being caused by the timing chain rubbing on the guides due to the timing chain tensioner being worn, this allows the timing chain to go slack & therefore rub on the guides.Has anyone any idea what sort of cost I'd be looking at to get this repaired & also if there is anywhere in the Midlands ( Not Honda Dealership ), & the nearer Birmingham the better, that someone could recommend to do the work for me ? Any help on this would be much appreciated. Many Thanks.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
The best quote I get was £1100 (for both chains/tensioners).

I'm currently mid-way through replacing them myself... it's a big DIY.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
QUOTE-Vibrating noise down in left side of engine bay when at low revs ?????
i wonder if that is what i can hear on mine,-at low revs when increasing the load on the engine- it disappears at aprox 1800rpm!

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
QUOTE-Vibrating noise down in left side of engine bay when at low revs ?????
i wonder if that is what i can hear on mine,-at low revs when increasing the load on the engine- it disappears at aprox 1800rpm!
Timing chain noise does has nothing to do with engine load. But it will be the most noticeable when ticking over when hot, because the engine oil pressure falls to its lowest figure and the tensioners are mainly driven by oil pressure (not springs).

Not my car, but mine sounded exactly like this example...
and the odd rubbing/chafing sound did almost disappear once the revs went up to over around 1200 RPM.

Timing/oil pump chain failures lead to quite a few i-CTDi engines being wrecked... there are usually Accords being broken on eBay because of this (but early Accords - like mine - did have an inferior tensioner design, so don't panic too much).

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
well i dont think its that then :). its only audible under load/low revs
could it be simply the turbo spooling up?

forgot to say- the sound is not constant, it is more of a "throbbing" drone(about the best i can describe it.

just checked and mine sounds like a sewing machine compared to the sound in that video!

the sound i describe can only be heard as you start to accelerate.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hiya Jon,
Mine doesn't sound anywhere near as noisy as that one on the video but the most obvious noise is the rubbing/ chafing noise that you mentioned. Could it be possible to just change the tensioners if it's tensioner wear that's the cause ? I'm still interested in hearing from anyone who knows of anywhere in the Midlands area that could diagnose the problem & sort it out for me without ripping me off like a Honda dealer would. Any info would be most welcome. Many Thanks.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
Hiya Jon,
Mine doesn't sound anywhere near as noisy as that one on the video but the most obvious noise is the rubbing/ chafing noise that you mentioned. Could it be possible to just change the tensioners if it's tensioner wear that's the cause ? I'm still interested in hearing from anyone who knows of anywhere in the Midlands area that could diagnose the problem & sort it out for me without ripping me off like a Honda dealer would. Any info would be most welcome. Many Thanks.
It is possible to replace the cam (upper) chain tensioner fairly easily... there's an inspection plate on the chains cover that let's you do this. However, I was reliably informed by a Honda technician member on the TypeAccord forum that it's normally the oil pump chain (lower)/tensioner that fails, and that can't be replaced without removing the sump (which I've got to the point of being able to, after removing a lot of items).

Tensioners cost around £150, so not something to replace lightly!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts