2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Engine Video clip - does this look / sound normal?

Hi all,

I was about to write a 'newbie' intro in the newbie section when I thought I'd try to kill two birds...I'm hoping someone can shed a little light please.

Bought a 2006 2.2 cdti Sport a month ago, Alabaster Silver, FSH, 95k miles, well-looked after, almost immaculate inside and out - very happy with a car I'd wanted for ages.

A week later it started to stink of diesel fumes in the cabin - usual story of fumes at standstill and on start-up (wish I'd joined this great forum before buying it!) so after taking it back to independent dealer, I also got in touch with Honda UK, explained that fumes and a 2 year old boy in car is a no-no, they put me in touch with local Honda dealer who then negotiated fitting of a replacement manifold for me, free-of-charge (even though car is 8.5 years old).:eek: Very pleased with outcome (although they cocked up when reassembling and nipped the corner of a gasket when tightening. So had another day without the car whilst they took delivery and fitting of new gasket.

Anyway, all was well until 2 weeks ago, the smell of diesel was back, not on start-up, only once warmed up. I'm suspecting Injector seals (after reading forum solidly these past few days) but upon a quick inspection this eve, took the cover off and I can't see any tell-tale signs of black / soot / diesel around injectors...
If anyone has a mo, could they just have a quick look at this video link and tell me if they look ok? Am I looking in the right place?! The last bit, where i dab my finger, looks like a seal has come away from the main casing...?
And the ticking sound of the engine; is this normal? Sorry, first diesel i've owned! :confused:
The car runs beautifully, pulls hard in every gear, economy is very good (average 55mpg). Just seems the build quality suffers a bit.
Thanks in advance for any advice or info!

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,898 Posts
I couldn't actually see any sign of a leaking injector seal (which are located at the very base of each injector)... this can lead to an alarming build-up of soot and crap that can resemble a small volcano! BUT - if the problem has just started - then maybe there isn't yet a visible build-up? If you put your hand over the top of each injector can you feel any release of gas/exhaust?

There is a high-pitched ticking noise which isn't normal, although often video clips like this do distort the real sound. Now this could be a slight leak from an injector seal, or it could be the timing chain, or it could be something on the aux belt routing. Best to rule out injector leak first... with the engine off, spray a fair bit of WD40 down into the individual 'wells' that each injector sits in, then start the engine and look down at the bottom of each injector to look for signs of bubbling as gases escape up through the WD40.

I'd do this first, then look into other causes.

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Bravo to Honda for fixing your exhaust manifold, even if they did nip a gasket.

I hope you get to the bottom of issue#2.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies, guys, Will check injector seals with WD40 first and keep you posted!
(High pitched ticking does sound quite like the sound in video - someone else on here had similar problem and found it was the tensioner needing tightening, will see how injectors go first)

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
When my injector seals went the car sounded very similar to yours,but I had the black soot round the injectors.

Reactions: woogadee

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,898 Posts
Thanks for replies, guys, Will check injector seals with WD40 first and keep you posted!
(High pitched ticking does sound quite like the sound in video - someone else on here had similar problem and found it was the tensioner needing tightening, will see how injectors go first)
I replaced both my engine chains, tensioners, etc myself (there is a thread that I wrote describing the task). It definitely isn't possible to tighten either tensioner, or adjust them in any way.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
I couldn't quite see but, but check the hard lines to the injector and make sure the nuts are done up correctly.
When I had a bust manifold on the Focus the garage failed to tighten on of the nuts, which led to a small amount of diesel to weep out onto the hot metal, making the cabin fume-y.
Only smelt when engine warmed up

Reactions: woogadee

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Is it a neat diesel smell, at start up or idle it may be the return pipe where diesel that is not required is returned to the tank not under pressure. Very common on the trucks I service.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
The number 2 injector looked to have black residue around it. My dad had this issue a few weeks back made the same noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spot on Sprotty!
Thanks for all your replies and advice, been under the bonnet today and taken a closer look in daylight. Soot and black gunk all around base of injector 2 and the "ticking" sound has got worse and is indeed the smoke puffing out of the injector seal!
Sounds like it's a lot louder today and there is visible smoke puffing out on each cycle - a steam tractor would sound quieter!
Taking it back to the garage I bought it from, spoke to them and they're happy to sort it. Just hope I get there (30 miles away).
Can I do any damage if I drive it that far? Obviously not gonna drive it in meantime, but is there any danger the injector can pop out or anything?

Thanks again for all the advice. What a great forum, full of knowledge and help.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,898 Posts
It's unlikely that the injector could shoot out, but is possible if the clamp bolt has come out or broken. I suppose you could check that the clamp bolt is tight, but you'll need a 1/4" drive T30 (from memory) male Torx bit.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
The injector won't pop out as it's only a small copper crush washer deep in the cylinder head that has failed. My dad drove his for ages before I managed to have a look and diagnose the problem. A decent garage will be able to remove the injector, replace the washer and refit. Honda tried to make my dad have 2 new injectors at £900 fitted. Needless to day we supplied some reconditioned ones for them to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
It's unlikely that the injector could shoot out, but is possible if the clamp bolt has come out or broken. I suppose you could check that the clamp bolt is tight, but you'll need a 1/4" drive T30 (from memory) male Torx bit.
This^^^^^

Just ensure that the bolt hasn't failed in any way. The damage from a flying injector will be significant. One other thing to bear in mind but I don't suppose anybody does it, I'm pretty sure Honda don't recommend you reuse the HP fuel line when you've removed it BUT be sure to re torque it to spec.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Will do, thanks Jon and Tristan. I know most people reuse the fuel lines if still ok. I'll pass on message to garage to ensure correct tightening etc.
I'll check bolt to make sure still clamped in ok and then take it easy to garage next week. Hopefully the injector will stay intact upon removal Sprotty, to save getting a reconditioned one, but even if not, I'm afraid Honda won't be talking me into that 'deal of the century!'

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just in case anyone wanted an update on this; car went in for new injector seal today, all sorted and no more diesel smell :) (Fortunately the injector came out nice and easily)

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Phew, that's a relief. Glad it sorted your problem without too much grief.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Will do, thanks Jon and Tristan. I know most people reuse the fuel lines if still ok. I'll pass on message to garage to ensure correct tightening etc.
I'll check bolt to make sure still clamped in ok and then take it easy to garage next week. Hopefully the injector will stay intact upon removal Sprotty, to save getting a reconditioned one, but even if not, I'm afraid Honda won't be talking me into that 'deal of the century!'
I have a similar problem.. Will take a further look ****. Can you provide me with details on how you got the manifold changed from Honda. Would also like to do pursue this.

Thanks in advance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts