2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
did anyone check the VIN of his vehicle (the check sum) on one of the internet pages intended for that? I am going to buy 2006 Civic next week, but it seems that there is something wrong with its VIN. It is hard to imagine that someone fiddled around with 6 months old car, so I believe the VIN is original. But still the check sum is incorrect. Unless there is mistake on the papers, I am going to see the car itself tomorrow. Anyway- the question is simple: did anyone checked and had problem with the VIN check sum ?

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
I would be sceptical of any website that offers VIN checks, much better and more reliable to run it past Honda or your local Police if you have queries.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Hello,
did anyone check the VIN of his vehicle (the check sum) on one of the internet pages intended for that? I am going to buy 2006 Civic next week, but it seems that there is something wrong with its VIN. It is hard to imagine that someone fiddled around with 6 months old car, so I believe the VIN is original. But still the check sum is incorrect. Unless there is mistake on the papers, I am going to see the car itself tomorrow. Anyway- the question is simple: did anyone checked and had problem with the VIN check sum ?
There is no requirement to have a check sum in Europe so in the case of the Civic the 9th character is set as '0' followed by a '6' for a 2006 car or '7' for a 2007 one.
You don't say what car you're going to see but it will look like this:
SHHFK***06U0***** with the * being variables.
If your worried the VIN does appear in a few places on the car.
1.On the body itself (hidden behind a cover easily removed with the bonnet open in front of the right hand wiper).
2. On a plate visible through a clear part of the front screen on the lower left hand side.
3. On a plate riveted to the left hand pillar between the doors, this plate also carries the engine number which should match the number stamped on it.
All this information should of course match the documentation for the car.
If anything looks dodgy or tampered with walk away.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow!!! thanks a lot MCH !! why nobody says openly that Honda does not code the checksum?? It would make the life much easier :)
The car I am going to buy is: Civic 2006 1.8 sport. the VIN is : SHHFK27606U009590. Anyway , there is something wrong here, as Honda dealer checked the number and told me that this is not the car for German market. So maybe re-import. I have to talk to owner tomorrow and take look at the car.
Anyway, thanks for your help, will let you know how it will end up. Although I am a little scared now, looking at all complains about new Civic. Is it really SO bad???

·
Fallen Angel
1,229 Posts
Although I am a little scared now, looking at all complains about new Civic. Is it really SO bad???[/quote]

No its not that bad...
......mainly a series of niggles and it is still a gorgeous car to drive:D

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
The VIN looks ok from here and the FK2 matches with a 1.8L petrol car. If you check the details I listed above you might feel better about it. This Civic is only made for Europe and if it has a left hand steering wheel it will be fine for Germany:rolleyes: .
The car is fine really, it does have a few faults but generally we live with them or get them fixed. It is about time we had a happy Civic thread instead of all the moaning ones.
Good luck with your viewing.

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
The car is fine really, it does have a few faults but generally we live with them or get them fixed. It is about time we had a happy Civic thread instead of all the moaning ones.
Good luck with your viewing.
That sounds like one for you to start MC. Car is grand, few minor faults, nothing major and Honda are fixing them usually without too much bother. same with any brand new car really. I love it!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do not worry about VIN number. You might be right that it is a re-import car. I have bought my Civic in Belgium and it had to be registered in a german system once I approached a german Honda dealer near Heidelberg when I went there to have my misaligned boot door checked.
Just ask an owner what country it comes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts