2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The common (as it turns out) hand brake was just fine, and fell apart apparently in the technicians hand once he got in the car, so much so he had his manager come out to see the damage and sign off that he didn't do it....(When he did).

I understand its a 10 year old car and its a common fault, but it wasn't broken when I dropped it off.

Additionally in a slightly other fashion apparent an exhaust clamp is broken (rattling now, wasn't when I dropped it off, also noted by said technician and manager) and needs replacing, but they wouldn't touch it as it was a milltek, this one: Milltek Cat-back Exhaust System for Honda Civic (2007-2012) Type R 2.0 i-VTEC FN2 (Non-Res) | RTECSHOP.com

Does anyone know my rights in regard to the hand brake?

Does anyone know what size clamp to buy for the exhaust and if I should get 2?

Thanks and hope everyone still here is well,

Unhappy Chris

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I’m not sure of the exact rights as such, but the handbrakes on these cars are known to break easily after a while which is probably down to a design flaw. It’s likely the bloke just yanked it a bit harder than you’d have normally done and it’s failed - it’s likely it would have failed soon for you anyway. You could try and push for a replacement but I’m not sure you’d get far.

A second hand handbrake is peanuts and can easily be fitted which is what I did, though I know this one may also fail soon. A brand new one is 120 quid which I don’t see it being worth that unless you plan to keep the car for another long while.

Reactions: cache

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea thats basically what honda have said so far, underlying problem and would have been broken or it wouldn't have happened. its a car i intend on keeping for a long time to be fair so thinking replacement used one and then some form of handle guard?

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I think I paid about 20 quid for a used hand brake lever so it’s worth looking on eBay etc to see what’s on offer. I haven’t bothered with a guard; it seems like you treat your handbrake with care (more so than Honda techs) so I think you’d be fine. The handbrake in my 2011 ES is still going strong, it was my 2.2 that was broken by the previous owner who apparently had shovels for hands!

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice :) i think i will do just that. is the plastic assembly easy to take apart and put back together if its likely to be a used old one liable to snapping anyway?

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,720 Posts
I would certainly complain to Honda HQ about it.

Then consider switching to Crown Honda who have good reviews.

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would certainly complain to Honda HQ about it.

Then consider switching to Crown Honda who have good reviews.
thanks, ive written on their customer service contact form about it, not sure if this is honda HQ?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
You can buy (fake) leather covers that go over the end of the handbrake for a few quid (paid £2.76) in various styles. Might be able to find one that matches your car. They look decent imo when matched with a gear stick gaiter.... plus, a bit of electrical tape and sticking the cover on takes seconds and is cheaper :D

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can buy (fake) leather covers that go over the end of the handbrake for a few quid (paid £2.76) in various styles. Might be able to find one that matches your car. They look decent imo when matched with a gear stick gaiter.... plus, a bit of electrical tape and sticking the cover on takes seconds and is cheaper :D
you mean a new used one or the current broken one? as in, hold it together and electrical tape it all then stick a cover on it now? ive had a look and cant find one for my civic (2009 fn2)

·
Premium Member
177 Posts

One here as an example. There should be plenty of more on this site if you have a search :)

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers pals :) i have electrical taped it all together, doesn't feel like death is looming in traffic anymore like it was when i drove it home from the dealers.

I will grab a cover for it, and i will get my next service at Crown :) and im buying all clamps for my milltek exhaust to get replaced somewhere else too¬!

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,720 Posts
When they send you your next reminder in a year you will have the satisfaction of telling them why you're going elsewhere :)

I've used Crown Bushey for some years now and can only praise them.

I drive past Honda Ruislip as their standards are far lower and a 'that'll do' attitude was my experience.

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When they send you your next reminder in a year you will have the satisfaction of telling them why you're going elsewhere :)

I've used Crown Bushey for some years now and can only praise them.

I drive past Honda Ruislip as their standards are far lower and a 'that'll do' attitude was my experience.
love it, can't wait! actually I can, it comes around way too quickly and things are falling off the car literally!

Is there anything people would recommend i get looked at / replaced for things that deteriorate over time in our fn2s?

mines 2009 with 80k miles, just me driven like a fairy (mostly)

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
Is there anything people would recommend i get looked at / replaced for things that deteriorate over time in our fn2s?
I've just replaced the front and rear shocks @56k miles. Used Sachs as they are the original brand Honda use and fit straight in. Did the top mounts, drop links & ARB bushes while I was at it. Did rears myself and got mechanic to do the front, the whole lot cost £730 inc labour.
Will be doing the fuel filter when a mate has made the tool to remove the locking ring.
Make sure the clutch fluid gets changed regularly as there isn't much in there and it'll deteriorate quickly.

Other than that it's just the normal wear & tear stuff for any car unless you really want to start replacing the suspension bushes.

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've just replaced the front and rear shocks @56k miles. Used Sachs as they are the original brand Honda use and fit straight in. Did the top mounts, drop links & ARB bushes while I was at it. Did rears myself and got mechanic to do the front, the whole lot cost £730 inc labour.
Will be doing the fuel filter when a mate has made the tool to remove the locking ring.
Make sure the clutch fluid gets changed regularly as there isn't much in there and it'll deteriorate quickly.

Other than that it's just the normal wear & tear stuff for any car unless you really want to start replacing the suspension bushes.
I've just had KW v3s fitted and had the 'large' service, so i would hope clutch fluids included? not 100% on that one, but i will look into the fuel filter thanks :)

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
clutch fluid is customer request only if you are talking Honda dealer, it's £42 all in if they do it.

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
clutch fluid is customer request only if you are talking Honda dealer, it's £42 all in if they do it.
cool, thats a no then, next service i will get that done mate, thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
if it's still nice and golden then that's OK, if it looks like smoker's lung get it done asap. They will do it as a one off job

1 - 20 of 28 Posts