2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering a bit about Voice Commands.

To start if the system is set for example Swedish like in my case if i press the Voice command button on the steering wheel I only get the choice of saying a prerecorded command for a phone contact. Like "call Anna" or "call sister or just "sister" if that is what I have recorded for calling my sister.

Some of the translations to Swedish is just Wrong though so I tried to change Language to English (United Kingdom) instead and noticed that there were a lot of new voice commands I could use.

For example Phone Call Anna and it would look up all Anna and similar in my phones phone book and I could then chose which to call. That worked fairly well however when I tried some other commands particularly the Audio commands it would not work.
For example I tried to change to DAB and DAB preset 2 and that would not work at all, instead I got to "what time is it"???

OK I am Swedish so my accent is not UK English but it is not that bad as far as I know and been told.

So my question is do you English speaking owners use the voice commands and is it working for you or is it just a bad implementation or is it me not able to speak properly? ;-)

If you using it, what are the main commands you use?

·
4,010 Posts
I have not extensively tested it and have used it to a small extent and things like changing the radio presets and swapping to 'Navigation' etc. seem to work OK for me. I have a a bit of a Southern (English) accent, but its pretty neutral, ie. not strong.

And the last ting that I would do is accuse a Swedish person of not being "able to speak properly". Try slightly different pronunciation of the words, as perhaps it's not the accent but the pronunciation that's screwing it up.

Jus thought, is there an English (US) available on your car that you could try?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input!
No there is no English US just other European and middle east languages to chose from what I could see.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
There are so many different voice activated systems in our lives. Siri, Alexa, a few different car systems, cameras etc.

Each require different commands which I for one find totally confusing.

The Honda system which I rarely use seems to work well with my fairly neutral accent:smile3:

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I use Android Auto and then you get Googles Bot (long press the activation button) which can be a nuisance as well - but it does understand German quite well...

·
Registered
68 Posts
The buttons on the steering wheel from memory its a picture of a head.

If you have google assistant setup so its always listening you dont need to press the button. Just say ok google and then the command. Obviously this only works with the android auto park of the system

·
Registered
368 Posts
Seems to work fairly well with me. My accent is closer to American than UK. Picks up names fairly well whether you're asking it to call someone, play a specific album, or an artist. The shorter the name though the more confused it gets. Was able to get it to play the guardians of the galaxy album, but it just couldn't understand me saying Adele. Haven't tried out satnav voice commands yet, but so far seems promising.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
The buttons on the steering wheel from memory its a picture of a head.

If you have google assistant setup so its always listening you dont need to press the button. Just say ok google and then the command. Obviously this only works with the android auto park of the system
Yeah that's the one. Didn't know about that setting - it's on the phone I guess?

Was able to get it to play the guardians of the galaxy album, but it just couldn't understand me saying Adele.
I had that with Alexa - I couldn't get it to play the music I liked it to, then I selected it manually and asked Alexa what the song currently played is. The pronunciation was way different than what I was saying, I tried it again with one closer to Alexas and then it understood me... :serious:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Also depends how fast you're going. Gave me a hard time on the motorway today. Mind you, the album and artist names can be phonetically modified to the way you say it. It's under settings >voice IIRC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts