2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, you’ve all seen this topic 100,000 times but having an issue with it and every thread i’ve read hasn’t solved it so thought i would ask the expert!

so i was driving yesterday for an hour or so, car was fine. started it this morning to get to work and the VSA and the ABS error is coming up on there. My Obd scanner cant pick the codes up and cannot get use of a better one until next week. tried disconnecting the battery for an hour and came straight back on, tried fuse 4 for the ABS with no use, tried the 20/40 fuse for the VSA and same result.

is there any other quick things to try before i can get it scanned?

car still drives spot on and no issue with lack of ABS or VSA

·
Premium Member
2007 FK2 1.8
289 Posts
The pin trick works on 8G, not sure about 9G.

With the electronics off, use a paperclip to short between OBD2 port pins 4 and 9

Then switch the electrics on (but engine can stay off) and count ABS warning light flashes

e.g. 5 long flashes followed by 3 short flashes => 53 etc

You'll probably get a few numbers separated by slightly longer pauses. Then look up the errors the numbers correspond to (I got these off another forum but double check they're accurate):

11 - wheel senor (open/short to body ground/short to power) FR
13 - wheel senor (open/short to body ground/short to power) FL
15 - wheel senor (open/short to body ground/short to power) RR
17 - wheel senor (open/short to body ground/short to power) RL
12 - wheel senor (electrical noise/intermittent interuption) FR
14 - wheel senor (electrical noise/intermittent interuption) FL
16 - wheel senor (electrical noise/intermittent interuption) RR
18 - wheel senor (electrical noise/intermittent interuption) RL
21 - pulser FR
22 - pulser FL
23 - pulser RR
24 - pulser RL
31 - solenoid (short to body ground/short to wire) FR-IN
32 - solenoid (short to body ground/short to wire) FR-OUT
33 - solenoid (short to body ground/short to wire) FL-IN
34 - solenoid (short to body ground/short to wire) FL-OUT
35 - solenoid (short to body ground/short to wire) RR-IN
36 - solenoid (short to body ground/short to wire) RR-OUT
37 - solenoid (short to body ground/short to wire) RL-IN
38 - solenoid (short to body ground/short to wire) RL-OUT
41 - wheel lock FR
42 - wheel lock FL
43 - wheel lock RR
44 - wheel lock RL
51 - motor lock
52 - motor stuck OFF
53 - motor stuck ON
54 - fail-safe relay
61 - ignition voltage
62 - ignition voltage
71 - different diameter tire
81 - central processing unti (CPU)

Worth a shot cos a code reader with ABS support is a hundred quid or so. Cheaper ones work with your phone until they don't after an unsupported Android upgrade etc so many will recommend just getting a stand alone device - I just invested in Foxwell NT630 Plus fwiw and few others on here have same.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You most likely need a new wheel ABS sensor. Common fault on these as they age.

£25 diagnostic at most mechanic shops. Unless you go to a chain like Kwikfit which want £50-£60 to run the codes and print them for you. :rolleyes: Wanted me to leave my Civic with them for the day as well to get a ABS code off. But they wanted to "scan the whole system." When I had no other lights on. Went to a independent shop they plugged a laptop straight into the OBD port and had the code off in a minute.

·
Premium Member
2007 FK2 1.8
289 Posts
you bunch of absolute legends, soon as i bridged pin 4&9 it cleared the code and no longer comes on! thanks lads
That's good but you might not be out the woods yet. These sensor errors can come and go intermittently, you still might need to replace a sensor at some point if you haven't done yet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts