2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! First post!
So ive been lurking on this forum for a while now and its been great for info that ive required.

Ive just purchased a MY08 FN2 privately.

On the drive home I noticed a big message that says "VSA CHECK SYSTEM"
Ive tried the obvious things like taking the key out then putting it back on again etc. And Ive pressed the VSA button a few times on the dash but the message is still on the dash.

How can I diagnose this myself (without plugging some equipment in that I don't own)

What sort of things can I try/check to see whats up?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
You could disconnect and then reconnect the battery it might reset the VSA, but if there is a fault it will probably come back on

·
Twisted by the Dark side
1,278 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! Very quick responses.
I think I'll be quite active on this forum. Seems to be a very good community.

I will disconnect/reconnect the battery tomorrow.
Will the car ask for a stereo pass code afterwards?

I'm at my girlfriends house ATM and I've just took her dad out for a spin. I mentioned it to him and he told me that he has a OBDII reader that I can use.

Plugged it into the port. And it took a while but eventually said "Link Error"
And then I put the key in and turned it.
And tried again but it said "Link Error" again.

It was only a simple hand held one and I think it was this one
LINK

I don't have an android phone, I have a iPhone

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ah, we'll that's not a problem! Haven't even had chance to put in the pre-sets I want anyway.

Can it be caused by the tyre pressure or depth?
The car has recently had new disks/pads fitted also.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Ah, we'll that's not a problem! Haven't even had chance to put in the pre-sets I want anyway.

Can it be caused by the tyre pressure or depth?
The car has recently had new disks/pads fitted also.

Thanks
possibly as the VSA sensors are near the discs if I remember correctly

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope this isn't a silly question (only owned 1 very basic car before)
Can I just remove the cable(s) from the red terminal + and then leave it for 30 mins or do I need to remove them both.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Best to remove both, it saves having any accidents or mishaps.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info!
Ill disconnect both red and black terminal cables and leave it for half an hour (making sure to manually lock it) tomorrow after work.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
If you get stuck, I've got Torque and the OBDll connector and I'm not too far away from you.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just been tinkering in the garage. Disconnected the battery and left it for 30mins. Reconnected it and put the keys in the ignition, turned them and the message is still been displayed (VSA Check System) on the dash.

If you get stuck, I've got Torque and the OBDll connector and I'm not too far away from you.
That would be really helpful, Id really appreciate that

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it possible that my brake fluid reservoir could cause the VSA message? My disks and pads have been replaced recently and I'm wondering if it needs a top up? Worth a try? Is there a level on the filling up reservoir?
(I'ts too dark and Ive moved my car back onto the driveway now)

·
regrets his username
7,983 Posts
Yes it's the biggest container next to the small clutch container (drivers side near the windscreen)

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Just read your post again and realised I've just been out and checked the wrong reservoir.
Because I've just been reading about dot3 and dot4 fluids and saw the dot3 and dot4 recommendation notice on the cap. (but Im assuming that the same goes for clutch fluid)
I'll get up early before work tomorrow so I can actually have some LIGHT!

But anyway... clutch fluid is almost on the min!
Could I buy some fluid and top both the clutch reservoir and the brake fluid reservoir up with the same fluid?

·
regrets his username
7,983 Posts
Yes that is your clutch reservoir and it is low you want the one in the background for the brakes Dot 3 or 4 for both (only if your brake res isn't on full). I recently topped my clutch reservoir up with Dot 4 paid £6 for a bottle and it only took a trickle so it doesn't take much (and remember not to spill it)

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Which fluid would be best if I'm going to top both of them up using the same fluid, which brand? dot3? 4??
Where did you get yours from?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts