2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I brought another civic recently with some known faults which I'm working through.

However the VSA check light is on. No other lights and get code 25-1 for yaw rate sensor. Now the chap I got it off said he already changed it but still on. So guessing he's lied and not changed it or just had a bad part?

So what do we think change sensor and check connections to be sure or should I be looking else where also ?

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Try clearing the codes, as it might need a reset, but if the sensor was replaced the VSA light should go away straight away or after a few trips.

VSA needs ABS, Wheel Speed Sensors, Yaw sensors, throttle position, steering angle sensors and a few other things. to work correctly

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
If it were a bad ABS sensor ABS would not work which would show ABS light as well.
Maybe. On 8g civic ABS and VSA systems are closely related. On redesign tmps uses both off them for tire pressure. I know on mates car rear ABS sensor was problem and after change VSA light was off.
Easiest to change is yaw rate sensor which is in car near handbrake. VSA modulator is in engine bay

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Maybe. On 8g civic ABS and VSA systems are closely related. On redesign tmps uses both off them for tire pressure. I know on mates car rear ABS sensor was problem and after change VSA light was off.
Easiest to change is yaw rate sensor which is in car near handbrake. VSA modulator is in engine bay
ABS sensor is used as VSA uses the brakes to control the vehicle and it can no do this if the ABS is not functioning.

The civic does not have TMPS, but has DWS.
Which uses wheel speed sensors to detect if a tire has gone flat.

TPMS uses sensors attached to the valve stem to give tire pressure readings(psi, kpa)

Many high end german cars have this function.

TPMS and DWS are similar but do two different things

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,891 Posts
I think the yaw rate sensor is faulty. Maybe the new one was a cheap aftermarket one that doesn't work properly? Assuming that is was actually changed...

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
So I brought another civic recently with some known faults which I'm working through.

However the VSA check light is on. No other lights and get code 25-1 for yaw rate sensor. Now the chap I got it off said he already changed it but still on. So guessing he's lied and not changed it or just had a bad part?

So what do we think change sensor and check connections to be sure or should I be looking else where also ?
First rule of fault finding;
Never trust the person who fixed a fault before you, even if it was you that fixed it.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I think the yaw rate sensor is faulty. Maybe the new one was a cheap aftermarket one that doesn't work properly? Assuming that is was actually changed...
Hi

Where is the Yaw sensor located?

Regards

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Under the center console
I can't add pictures yet, but my reader reports that both longitudinal acceleration and Yaw rate aren't zero when stationary; there's a tolerance I would imagine, indeed my TT reports movement even when at a standstill, but I wonder if this is the cause of my VSA/ABS warning light?

Attachments

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,891 Posts
On the Accord there is a built-in neutralisation procedure that can be run to set a zero reading. I imagine this Civic would have similar?

Certainly this problem would register an error code (84-1 on the Accord) and bring on the warning light.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
There's no error code produced, that's the issue; all of the modules report back without issue, and none have faults, so I've had to go to live data to see what the ECU is reporting. My TT has a similar system, a small error of movement is acceptable on the long/lat sensors but I'm not sure if that's the case with the Civic; I don't think so, so I'm going to have to replace the Yaw sensor as a starter for 10.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts