2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

VSA module or glow plug emissions system?? ....

Electrics 
4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  maza 
#1 ·
I have an 06' 2.2 diesel civic 5dr with 55500 miles coming up on 5 years old. It has a full honda service history.

On monday I started the car from cold after sitting overnight. I always allow the glow plug light to switch off prior to pressing the engine start button. On this occasion the glow plug light began flashing and the engine warning light with explanation mark was showing in the centre dash display. I switched on engine then back off to see if it would clear as I thought it was a glitch. This did not work. I drove aprox 15 miles as usual, easy on the brakes no hard acceleration etc. The engine was running fine.

Took it to Honda who cleared the fault and reset the ecu.....Got car back and told fault was cleared which it has been since that day, however, 2 days later I started the car as usual again from cold after sitting aprox 9 hours.

The VSA light came on along with the VSA triangle/explanation mark and also the abs light. They remained on with the engine on. I switched off and re started and they went off as normal after re starting. 2 days later the same happened again. I took it to honda. They ran tests and said it could be the VSA module as it is a known fault in other models. Spoke to technician who said he tested everything and could not fault VSA unit. He said sometimes a power failure can cause warning lights to come on but he could not fault the battery also. VSA unit to cost £1900 with labour. Honda said they would cover most of it but I would have to contribute at least £400.

What the f is going on?!!! Can anybody shed any light on this matter, please?

See less See more
#3 ·
The technician also said he had tested the battery and it was in a perfect condition.He did mention that when a battery goes flat or if there was a cut in power then this can bring a warning light on but could not find any other electrical problem.

The issue has now occurred at least on 4 other occasions now. In fact, on one of those times switching the ignition off and on again made no difference and did not clear the problem. The lights remained on while driving.

As I mentioned earlier, apparently this problem has been seen on certian other models being the Accord and CRV, but nobody seems to have experienced it on the Civic apart from me!!!!!!

#4 ·
A similar fault occurred this morning on my 06 2.2 CDTi. After sitting overnight, on switching the ignition to position 2, the cooling fan started. Waited for the glow plug light to extinguish, which it did initially, and then remained on, along with the engine emission check in the centre display. Customary checks carried out, oil and coolant showed nothing untoward. Tried the suggested in the manual with no change in symptoms. Taking to the dealer today in hope of them being able to diagnose quickly.

#5 ·
Hi there, I have been getting the emission's fault (glow plug flashing, with weird pump like symbol with check system showing) for about a week now, cleared it twice by switching ignition on and off 3 times (as recomended in the manual) but now the light has remained on and I'm getting very concerned. This fault sounds very similar to the fault described above. Did you get to the bottom of it? Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

#6 ·
Hi,

After the first time the glow plug light came on which was cleared it has never came back on. They said at the time that there was no fault showing and put it down to a glitch.

Funny thing is that last week I encountered a fuel system fault. My fuel injector no 2 was leaking which needed replaced at a hefty price. I dont know if the two can be connected due to the length of time. The leak did not seam to affect the engine performance which should have otherwise have brought some sort of light on. Who knows what is going on?!!!

Never buy another honda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.