2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06' 2.2 diesel civic 5dr with 55500 miles coming up on 5 years old. It has a full honda service history.

On monday I started the car from cold after sitting overnight. I always allow the glow plug light to switch off prior to pressing the engine start button. On this occasion the glow plug light began flashing and the engine warning light with explanation mark was showing in the centre dash display. I switched on engine then back off to see if it would clear as I thought it was a glitch. This did not work. I drove aprox 15 miles as usual, easy on the brakes no hard acceleration etc. The engine was running fine.

Took it to Honda who cleared the fault and reset the ecu.....Got car back and told fault was cleared which it has been since that day, however, 2 days later I started the car as usual again from cold after sitting aprox 9 hours.

The VSA light came on along with the VSA triangle/explanation mark and also the abs light. They remained on with the engine on. I switched off and re started and they went off as normal after re starting. 2 days later the same happened again. I took it to honda. They ran tests and said it could be the VSA module as it is a known fault in other models. Spoke to technician who said he tested everything and could not fault VSA unit. He said sometimes a power failure can cause warning lights to come on but he could not fault the battery also. VSA unit to cost £1900 with labour. Honda said they would cover most of it but I would have to contribute at least £400.

What the f is going on?!!! Can anybody shed any light on this matter, please?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maza,
Did you get anywhere with this? I have a 58 cdti and its started random flashing of vsa and abs lights, no traction issues at all, straight dry roads around thirty.
Tried a search but to no avail.

Cheers

Craig

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Problem with the VSA unit maybe?

I'd take it into dealer to be diagnosed. 58 plate should still be under warranty?

·
Registered
283 Posts
i had the abs and vsa light come up and called hondacare as i was on the motorway. they sent the AA out and i was completely embarrassed when he put some air in the tyres and told me to drive a few miles and it would reset. He was right, it was the tyre air pressures which reset after i had driven about half a mile. I thought the car was dying with all those warning lights up!!! Worth a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
poor quality

Honda replaced the VSA unit which done the trick however 1 week later the lights came back on. Now needing a n/s/f abs wheel speed sensor.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Think I read somewhere that the sensors can get dirty and start playing up.

If that's true then it might just need a clean.

Reactions: maza

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If it's the same Bosch VSA modulator fitted on the Civic ICTDI as the Accord then there is a known problem and a few of our members have had this. It normally happens after some work has been done under the bonnet and possibly the unit being struck by accident.

More info here:

VSA 66-1 - 2006 Accord Diesel - TypeAccord

On the Accord, Honda cover it under extended warranty for around 60k miles I think, but we've had members replace them with a second hand unit from the breakers and it works.

I've also replaced a wheel speed sensor on the Accord - I'm sure the Civic's will use a similar design. You normally need to drill the old sensor out as they jam inside.

Your problems might be something else though..

·
Registered
16 Posts
This has happened to me aswell apparently it's an abs sensor fault my n/s/f and o/s/r are both showing a fault. 130 quid to get a new sensor cost price from Honda. Been searching the breakers yards but not coming across anything. Only advice is don't try and clean them yourself. I tried and I snapped a bit of one. There very fragile and get stuck in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts