2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant see the point in that. Have an important safety feature switched off as standard would just be silly.

I've only ever had it come on while I've been in a 'high state of concentration'. I'd like full control of my car during these periods.

I'm sure that if VSA was that important Honda would have saved themselves the cost of a VSA on/off switch.

I've had VSA for just over two months so I must have been really lucky to survive the last 19 years of driving. [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
You do have full control when it is switched on. It only comes on when its needed. But at end of the day its your decision but dont come running should you ever of needed it(hoping you never do of course) to hopefully save a serious situation which you never know when is gonna happen.

·
Harris Tweed
159 Posts
I've only ever had it come on while I've been in a 'high state of concentration'. I'd like full control of my car during these periods.

I'm sure that if VSA was that important Honda would have saved themselves the cost of a VSA on/off switch.

I've had VSA for just over two months so I must have been really lucky to survive the last 19 years of driving. [smilie=cheeky-grin:[/quote]

When I picked up my new car today, I asked the Sales chap why I would ever want VSA 'off'. He said "it is not recommended to have it on in snow, otherwise, it is normal to keep it on all the time".

This seemed sound advice to me.

Anthony.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Why not in snow???!!?
That´s when I would have thought it to be most useful?
think the dealer should have said when trying to get moving in deep-ish snow - with traction control on you can't get moving, 'cos it kicks in too quickly and often.

MM

·
Harris Tweed
159 Posts
Why not in snow???!!?
That´s when I would have thought it to be most useful?
I can only assume that it is normally designed to work when the wheels are experiencing different degrees of traction and the system attempts to even things up. If all the wheels have lost traction (such as when stuck in snow) then the system cannot balance the traction before it goes out of balance again and then proves to be worse than having no control system at all.

The handbook (p.342) refers to this and discusses the rare and specific situations when it might be appropriate to switch off the VSA (albeit temporarily).

Hope this helps...

Anthony.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
I can only assume that it is normally designed to work when the wheels are experiencing different degrees of traction and the system attempts to even things up. If all the wheels have lost traction (such as when stuck in snow) then the system cannot balance the traction before it goes out of balance again and then proves to be worse than having no control system at all.

The handbook (p.342) refers to this and discusses the rare and specific situations when it might be appropriate to switch off the VSA (albeit temporarily).

Hope this helps...

Anthony.

Yes, there is a differance between DRIVING on snow and being STUCK in it.

·
Harris Tweed
159 Posts
Of course. I was just trying to be helpful, by indicating what the answer to my question of the dealer on this topic was. And subsequently what the handbook had to say to clarify the point.

Personally I see no point in turning off a good safety feature unless there is a very good reason to do so.

Anthony.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Of course. I was just trying to be helpful, by indicating what the answer to my question of the dealer on this topic was. And subsequently what the handbook had to say to clarify the point.

Personally I see no point in turning off a good safety feature unless there is a very good reason to do so.

Anthony.
Agreed with you there totally. Just no point in having it switched off as it makes no difference to the drive. I think some people seem to think there clever by having it switched off.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Well I've had the car just long enough to experience some snow/ice, and I find the VSA well balanced in not over-reacting when you lose grip.
The VSA button is also readily accessible in those rare occations you'll need to switch it off (when you need to get loose from snow or trying to retain your speed in very slippery uphill slopes).

A maybe silly question: Does the ABS work when VSA is switched off?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed with you there totally. Just no point in having it switched off as it makes no difference to the drive. I think some people seem to think there clever by having it switched off.
You're probably right about some people thinking they're clever. Some of us just get irritated by the flashing light and the cutting revs. It therefore makes a difference to the drive for me and so there is a point to me in switching it off.

I doubt that I, or many others for that matter, will ever have a situation where VSA will make or break the outcome. Sensible, sedate driving will surely not warrant the VSA to kick in. Those moments where I feel up to a more brisk pace (and the only times when the VSA has kicked in) I am more alert and prepared for the unexpected and am confident that I can suitably control the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
As per the 'driving with lights on thread' - moved out of the 'what software upgrades' into a discussion of its own :wink:

·
King of the rodeo
4,830 Posts
I doubt that I, or many others for that matter, will ever have a situation where VSA will make or break the outcome. Sensible, sedate driving will surely not warrant the VSA to kick in. Those moments where I feel up to a more brisk pace (and the only times when the VSA has kicked in) I am more alert and prepared for the unexpected and am confident that I can suitably control the vehicle.
Possibly, but by saying that you are basically saying that there is no need for the system at all, which is incorrect. Perhaps it will take being caught out by something unexpected to change your opinions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The VSA is not a traction control system. It is a much simpler system that applies the break to the wheel that is slipping. This can make the car handle very unpredictable when cornering and impossible to driver in conditions of low traction.

This also is a factor in the excessive break wear being seen on many civics

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
The VSA is not a traction control system. It is a much simpler system that applies the break to the wheel that is slipping. This can make the car handle very unpredictable when cornering and impossible to driver in conditions of low traction.

This also is a factor in the excessive break wear being seen on many civics
The VSA system is a TCS. And a whole lot more. It is a very capable stability system that uses numerous inputs to control the car using brakes and throttle (torque) control from the engine.

This article explains a little more:

http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php/VSA

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Interesting article

An interesting article Pottsy.

I see that it "learns" the driver's normal braking pressure, to determin when a Panic situation occurs. Do you know how this deals with more than one driver?

The reason I ask is that I used to have an Lexus IS200 and if you poodled around town for a few days, it "learnt" you were a sedate/gentle driver and de-tuned the throttle response. Enter the situation of trying to pull out in to fast moving traffic and the b*gger wouldn't accelerate properly.

Personaly I am a fan of safety featurs (ABS, EBD etc. etc.) BUT as a software designer/programmer I am always nervous of someone else's code!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have to say that the VSA comes in much later than other cars I have driven so it seems like sense to keep it on - meaning you can have a good deal of fun without the yellow light keep flashing at you!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts