2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe a daft quetion but was in the dealers today getting a new glovebox light fitted It was blowing snow and the salesman and i were talking about the wether.. he mentioned that should remember to switch off VSA in these conditions.... why would that be? does it not make the car more stable??

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
You should switch if off if you are stuck on a hill, because if the wheels start slipping it will just kill the power to the front wheels.

Other than that I would leave it on for the stability controls. Your ABS will still work with it off, but the VSA is supposed to brake the wheels to stop you spinning the car and it won't do that with it turned off.

·
Banned
952 Posts
yes if you get stuck in any snow even on a relatively flat road switch it off as all you will do is spin the wheels and waste fuel

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
yes if you get stuck in any snow even on a relatively flat road switch it off as all you will do is spin the wheels and waste fuel
Surely the other way around? With VSA on it is difficult to spin the wheels because the revs drop. Last winter the only way I could get up my driveway was to switch off the VSA and spin the wheels up the drive. Kept the car moving and I think the heat generated melts the snow/ice.
With VSA switched on the revs dropped so low I had no forward momentum.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers.. for record its still snowing and lying now.. time to swap the wife and take the 4x4!!!

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Cheers.. for record its still snowing and lying now.. time to swap the wife and take the 4x4!!!
Yep - if you get stuck, turn VSA off and proceed slowly and with care ...

Otherwise, fit proper winter tyres and you'll never need to resort to a 4x4 ! ..

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
This will be my first winter in my Civic so a bit more optimistic than last year. I had an ST 220 which was hopeless in even a slight skim of snow. Ended up stranded in my street for a week. :facepalm:

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
This will be my first winter in my Civic so a bit more optimistic than last year. I had an ST 220 which was hopeless in even a slight skim of snow. Ended up stranded in my street for a week. :facepalm:
Well - the Civic is pretty good on Snow & Ice, even on 'Summer' tyres ...

But, I believe that this Winter is going to be as evil as the last one (Global Warming ?) - so, get yourself some 16" 'steelies' with proper 'Scandinavian' (not European) Winter tyres, and you'll leave the 4x4s in your dust ! ...

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
You should switch if off if you are stuck on a hill, because if the wheels start slipping it will just kill the power to the front wheels.

Other than that I would leave it on for the stability controls. Your ABS will still work with it off, but the VSA is supposed to brake the wheels to stop you spinning the car and it won't do that with it turned off.
+1

You only need to turn off the VSA when your getting wheel spin.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I never have the vsa on in any conditions!

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
so you disable it everytime you start your engine ?:mad:
Yep! I don't like the feeling it gives! Won't let you turn in sharp enough on corners! With the LSD you just don't need it on and at the end of the day I trust my car control rather than a sensor which brakes and cuts power when it senses sliding or wheel spin!

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
how does VSA works?!..for stability you need VSA, but if your wheels are spinning you have to turn it off to get yourself moving? i'm lost now here :(
One of the features is traction control. That is what people are referring to in order to get yourself moving.

Imagine you are on a hill on snow or ice. You go to set off and the wheels spin, the traction control kicks in and cuts the power and brakes the wheels to stop the spinning. You just will not be able to get up the hill.

Turn the VSA off and use your judgement on the throttle to get yourself up the hill.

VSA also has a stability function (Vehicle Stability Assist = VSA), so if it feels the car sliding sideways, it will brake the wheels individually to try and bring the car back under control.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised today with the Civic.

I'd heard they were bad in snow but early this morning on roads only driven over by one other car, I set off in 1 inch of snow and had no problems. Handled it really well.

On one steep corner at a couple of mph VSA cut in and out several times assisting. Can't tell how much help it was but certainly I got round.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
the VSA should be switched off in my opinion when snow arrives. i took it out today for a short journey the car is much more SAFER when VSA is OFF, the car is much more controllable. none of this engine cutting the power when your half way up hill.. engine lowering the revs coming down a slope.. VSA off in snow i think :p

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
the VSA should be switched off in my opinion when snow arrives. i took it out today for a short journey the car is much more SAFER when VSA is OFF, the car is much more controllable. none of this engine cutting the power when your half way up hill.. engine lowering the revs coming down a slope.. VSA off in snow i think :p
Easier to get up slopes with VSA off, but safter for all round driving? I think not. What if your rear wheels start sliding, and you can't catch it? Or your fronts doesn't grip in a turn, and you're going straight forward instead? VSA will save you in both cases.

VSA saved me several times the first winter i owned the car - me beeing too optimistic about the cars abillity to handle proper winter conditions. My old Vauxhall Vectra with 175/65-14 winter tyres was a much better winter car, mostly due to the tyres. The Civic has too wide tyres, and is a bit too light be a good and safe winter car IMO.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts