2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i might be going mad with some "placebo" but i have turned off VSA the last 4 or 5 times i have driven and my car definately "feels" faster. Throttle response is even more instant and this morning when i put my foot down after a corner it actually pulled to the point where i thought "f****** hell, thats quicker than normal".....

would a dyno show up the difference with vsa on and off or does it only work in real world conditions.??

....it honestly feels 5 - 10bhp quicker than normal.....

will be left on in the wet though..;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
VSA should only back power off if one of the wheels are turning faster relative to the others.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
i might be going mad with some "placebo" but i have turned off VSA the last 4 or 5 times i have driven and my car definately "feels" faster. Throttle response is even more instant and this morning when i put my foot down after a corner it actually pulled to the point where i thought "f****** hell, thats quicker than normal".....

would a dyno show up the difference with vsa on and off or does it only work in real world conditions.??

....it honestly feels 5 - 10bhp quicker than normal.....

will be left on in the wet though..;)
It can only be a placebo if you are expecting the result.

I'm with you on this one mate. I believe it does feel sharper when off. I've notice it more since I got my power mods done.

Don't think it's 5-10 bhp though. 😄

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
You will notice it more out of a corner turned off. It's applying the rear brakes to try and keep the car settled.
This is why the rear wheels always have brake dust on them as well. ;)

·
Type R GT Milano GP Kit
2,262 Posts
You will feel a little faster taking traction control off but definitely doesn't add extra bhp, all you have to do is watch car shows like Top Gear when they take the traction control off they fly around the tracks slightly quicker but slide like hell when doing so.

I'm no mechanic but sure its to do with slowing the opposite wheel down to a left or right corner as the outside wheel travels quicker. If you take the vsa of both your wheels will be going the same speed around corners.

Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong but that's what I was lead to believe. Like I said I'm not totally mechanically minded.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...well, less brake dust on the rear wheels is one bonus i hadn't thought of as well...!!!! (thanks TDI :D).....i didn't mean the car HAD more bhp just that it felt like it, its most defintaley more responsive so the vsa button is going to be off now unless its raining.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
...well, less brake dust on the rear wheels is one bonus i hadn't thought of as well...!!!! (thanks TDI :D).....i didn't mean the car HAD more bhp just that it felt like it, its most defintaley more responsive so the vsa button is going to be off now unless its raining.
It will feel more 'lively' when you're pushing it as the car isn't doing as much to aid control

If i'm driving spiritedly it goes off, IMO it makes a more predictable ride as there's no onset of forces i'm not expecting (stability assitance via brake use), there's nothing worse than taking a tightish corner and expecting slight spin & a bit of understeer on the exit only to be bogged by traction control... :facepalm:

Some people will prefer the car to 'help', it's personal/driver preference

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
You will feel a little faster taking traction control off but definitely doesn't add extra bhp, all you have to do is watch car shows like Top Gear when they take the traction control off they fly around the tracks slightly quicker but slide like hell when doing so.
Just to clarify, VSA is not traction control. Hondata are soon to be releasing a version of FPM that will make traction control possible.

Also VSA has no effect on power, other than to allow you to have more freedom when giving it some beans in corners. VSA should also be turned off in low grip conditions, such as ice and snow.

VSA is explained in full here

VSA - Civinfo Wiki

Its perminantly off in my car ;)

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Just to clarify, VSA is not traction control. Hondata are soon to be releasing a version of FPM that will make traction control possible.

Also VSA has no effect on power, other than to allow you to have more freedom when giving it some beans in corners. VSA should also be turned off in low grip conditions, such as ice and snow.

VSA is explained in full here

VSA - Civinfo Wiki

Its perminantly off in my car ;)
If it doesn't alter the power going to the wheels why then does it come on to stop wheel spin?

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
If it doesn't alter the power going to the wheels why then does it come on to stop wheel spin?
It doesnt pull power going to one of the wheels, it works by applying the brakes

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
But as others say. VSA has traction control in it. Doesn't matter how it does it it's still traction control then.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
It's always off in my car, does my head in

·
Registered
379 Posts
End of the day that button should be removed its useless and always been a hindrance in any of my cars, I wish I could remove the dam thing, that buttons for old people with walking sticks and zimmer frames and cateracts lol

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
It cuts the power as well!
I can't see that being because the brakes have been applied Ash. :lol:
The applying of rear brakes is part of the stability control system NOT traction control.

Try jacking the car in the air and running it through the gears. You can't. Thats the traction control system working. front wheels turning but rear's are static. ;)

·
Type EX,A guy called Mark
3,435 Posts
Try jacking the car in the air and running it through the gears. You can't. Thats the traction control system working. front wheels turning but rear's are static. ;)

Call me thick but as a front wheel drive car the rears would always be static if jacked up and put in gear?. :confused:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts