2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hallo ;)

I always drive around minimum 10 minutes before i accelerate hard / ivtec...

But, lets say you have been driving around for like 30 minutes and you park the car..... How fast will the temperature drop ? Lets say you shop for like 10 minutes, is okay to ivtec up to 8000 right away ? :rolleyes:................. ( depending on the outside temp offcause )

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hallo ;)

I always drive around minimum 10 minutes before i accelerate hard / ivtec...

But, lets say you have been driving around for like 30 minutes and you park the car..... How fast will the temperature drop ? Lets say you shop for like 10 minutes, is okay to ivtec up to 8000 right away ? :rolleyes:................. ( depending on the outside temp offcause )
I reckon base your judgement on the temperature gauge - if it goes straight up to its 'normal' operating temperature, then I'd say its good to go!

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
V tecs hold their temp quite well , 30 mins parked up should not cool down that much . As said use your judgement !!

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
I use the temperature gauge. I don't rev high enough to vtec until it reaches normal operating temp which on mine is slightly below the halfway point.

The engine holds on to a lot of heat for quite a while (unless outside temp very cold) so a short stop usually sees the temp gauge climb straight back up to 'normal' running temp.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Remember that the temperature gauge is the water temperature....not the oil temperature. The oil temperature is the one that matters.
I remember a safe mode in the S2000 i think, if the oil temperature wasn't at the a certain minimum temperature, the engine stop pumping fuel, like you were passing the red line and the engine cuts.

Oil temp drop, is slower, so if your car is "hot", and go for shopping for about na half hour that's ok.
You can guide by the water gauge, if it's in the normal temperature, the oil should be ok. Oil temp drop slower than the water.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
knd is spot on - it's your oil temperature that needs to be up. Allow a good 15 minutes from cold, and I guess 5 minutes for every hour that you've left a hot car.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
When I was test driving an R before getting mine the dealer told me the VTEC engine has a safety feature in that it will not engage the VTEC if the oil is not hot enough. So it appears a similar feature from the S2000 has been incorporated in the Civic.

That said it would still be unwise to hammer it from cold. I always give it ten minutes minimum.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
That's a very clever system!
Are you on about the "not hammering it from cold" system? Yes, I devised it myself though I believe millions of others employ a similar one [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
414 Posts
i know that the K20A engines in the Integra Type R DC5 that my mates dad has will not go into VTEC untill the oil is up to temp. You can hammer it from cold but it will just not got to VTEC very very clever!! So i'd imagine that the same would go for the FN2 Type R...

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I was test driving an R before getting mine the dealer told me the VTEC engine has a safety feature in that it will not engage the VTEC if the oil is not hot enough.
That is correct...
Try to engage vtec with cold oil and you will notice it just revs up as normal,
Sounds totally different and high end revs are slower.

·
Registered
27 Posts
yep that's true. me and my coworker have typers (he has 7th gen though) if we stay late at work we like to go nuts around the city for like an hour. we usually give engine like 5 minutes to idle and then we go. 5minutes warm up engine to like 2nd from the bottom mark of the temeperature scale. and v-tech will only engage if the temperature reaches 1/3rd of the scale.

the other thing to concider that if you push it to the limit on cold engine the fuel consumption is like 3times bigger. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts