2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discussion thread for the Wiki page VTEC. Please use this thread only for discussing what should or should not appear in the Wiki article. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It states about VTEC on the 1.8 petrol models that there's no performance "kick". I don't really know much about how VTEC works but I do find on my 1.8 EX that around 3500 there's a definite performance boost. Not quite a kick but I find under 3500 acceleration is sluggish, but once over that, especially at 50mph or higher, it's like the car is just taking off.

I know it's probably nothing compared to a Type R, but seems there's a performance boost of some sort there ?

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
It states about VTEC on the 1.8 petrol models that there's no performance "kick". I don't really know much about how VTEC works but I do find on my 1.8 EX that around 3500 there's a definite performance boost. Not quite a kick but I find under 3500 acceleration is sluggish, but once over that, especially at 50mph or higher, it's like the car is just taking off. I know it's probably nothing compared to a Type R, but seems there's a performance boost of some sort there ?
Absolutely right ... no "kick" exactly ... it feels like the engine takes a deep breath and power \ acceleration does improve ...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I'm not sure about the 1.8, but on the Type R the VTEC kicks in at around 5,400, and you can hear the engine note change as the lower cams switch to the upper cams. There is also a big kick too!

·
ciVinfo resident
470 Posts
well I got a 1.8 CTS and when I change gears at around 3500 revs like derek riddell says: it feels like the engine takes a deep breath ( A great sounding grunt) and power boom it kicks off :) just love the sound it makes when VTec kicks in.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm not sure about the 1.8, but on the Type R the VTEC kicks in at around 5,400, and you can hear the engine note change as the lower cams switch to the upper cams. There is also a big kick too!
its actually a flat spot disguised as a power burst if youve seen dyno printouts for vteced cars there all the same theres a definate dip in power when it changes cams ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts