2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
Is it normal to get a hot smell when driving in vtec? The car Does it pretty much every time I hit vtec. I've got plenty of anti freeze, oils fine, the car is well maintained and looked after. There is no issues power wise throttle response isn't amazing (but then I'm used to cammed high spec stage 3 builds so could be me with throttle) just wondering if it is normal for this hot smell. Cheers guys.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
As VTEC on the 1.8 is essentially "normal" cam, a different setup to the CTR which enters "high" cam at a given RPM.
The 1.8 uses the "eco" cam under very light throttle or cruising etc, when it can.

Is it a burning smell?, rubber like?, smoke like?

But no, it shouldn't "smell hot" mate; assuming you aren't ragging the bits off it 100% of the time.

Check that one of the disks doesn't get significantly hotter than the others.
Watch your gear changes, that you aren't dragging the clutch between.
Make sure the neighbours cat isn't stuck in the rad :rolleyes:

As long as the levels are all as they should be and the temps stay in line; I wouldn't worry unless it gets worse.
Bit more detail would help though :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for that guys no I know it's not a clutch smell there's no smoke and I don't rag the car I respect it but when I'm on the motorways overtaking it just seems to get very hot under load but temp gauge is fine. I'm averaging 36mpg round town and 50 odd on a long run. I hope neighbours car is lol :)

Sorry guys you know as much as me I'm a mechanic and its got me baffeled. There is just a very hot smell when the engine note changes to vtec I've never heard of it before though. Thanks for all the input. :)

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
As stated before, the 1.8 does not have true VTEC and the change over is not very noticeable on iVTEC, so not sure why you think it's associated with the cam change.

Could it be that an ancillary belt start to slip at a certain RPM? or at a certain speed, the smell finds it way through the cabin vents?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well either way you can tell the note changes as it engages and feel a change as the solenoid switches across and then it starts to smell. I can't quite put my finger on the smell, someone's said it could be the cat getting hotter which is plausible and would give that sort of hot ceramic smell it's definitely not belt or clutch. Anyone any heard of this before though? As said there's nothing wrong with the car as such.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi mate. I have that smell too, and I m sure is the kat... I drive eco most of time but when I pull above 3.5 to 4k the smell appears for half a minute or so... If I keep on pushing the smell disappears... If I drive eco again next time I pull the smell shows again... So it's exhaust related and the kat for sure... don't forget the exhaust manifold in this car is integrated on engine head so it heats more and faster...

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
As stated before, the 1.8 does not have true VTEC and the change over is not very noticeable on iVTEC, so not sure why you think it's associated with the cam change.

Could it be that an ancillary belt start to slip at a certain RPM? or at a certain speed, the smell finds it way through the cabin vents?
The vtec switch over is very noticeable to me on my 1.8. Just because it dusnt go into an aggressive cam profile wouldn't make it not noticeable.

Reactions: dexcivic

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
You're right sometimes it is noticable, but more akin to hesitation; as it changes.
Any RPM over about 3k (iirc) and any throttle positon over say 25% would switch straight onto the "normal" profile.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi mate. I have that smell too, and I m sure is the kat... I drive eco most of time but when I pull above 3.5 to 4k the smell appears for half a minute or so... If I keep on pushing the smell disappears... If I drive eco again next time I pull the smell shows again... So it's exhaust related and the kat for sure... don't forget the exhaust manifold in this car is integrated on engine head so it heats more and faster...

Thank you mate that makes sense. Your right and I drive the same as you by sounds of it and thank you it's ok be decated soon... problem solved. :p cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will do mate no worries. It will be interesting to see if it does go.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
You're right sometimes it is noticable, but more akin to hesitation; as it changes.
Any RPM over about 3k (iirc) and any throttle positon over say 25% would switch straight onto the "normal" profile.
Yes, this is it... a slight hesitation... All 3 of the 1.8's I had did this, although even less so in the 2012 9G (Different ECU)

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Thank you mate that makes sense. Your right and I drive the same as you by sounds of it and thank you it's ok be decated soon... problem solved. :p cheers

Never heard of a 1.8 being de-catted before, will it improve performance? and won't it throw an error light?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bog: these have 2 cats on them and you can get decats imported from US. know some civ owners who have done this and sounds throaty and give you the usual 12-15 increase as better flowing etc. Coupled with custom gas flown inlet and remap gives a nice increase in power, response deletes the hesitation your on about and belive it or not improves fuel as engine can breath better which means less strain and labour on it. More than likely it will throw a cel but they keep the lambda bungs and egr piping is all plumbed up ready to go. Plus the best part is it's Shiney under then engine bay! lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys quick update finally got the pipe fitted so I couldn't get a skunk2 imported so I made my own from an lx with a bit of pipe bending bolt hole modding and new gaskets and the help of a trusty grinder it fits perfectly. Must say it's a worthy mod to do. The increase is very good a friend got his dyno'd at 163.4 bhp with only twin cone cai and this pipe. My fuel round town is now 45+ initially it was VERY raspy this has now gone and only when in vtec does it sound agressive but normal driving sounds as it did. Throttle response is up and using an 02 fooler stopped any cels been thrown up. :) so 10/10 in my eyes

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys quick update finally got the pipe fitted so I couldn't get a skunk2 imported so I made my own from an lx with a bit of pipe bending bolt hole modding and new gaskets and the help of a trusty grinder it fits perfectly. Must say it's a worthy mod to do. The increase is very good a friend got his dyno'd at 163.4 bhp with only twin cone cai and this pipe. My fuel round town is now 45+ initially it was VERY raspy this has now gone and only when in vtec does it sound agressive but normal driving sounds as it did. Throttle response is up and using an 02 fooler stopped any cels been thrown up. :) so 10/10 in my eyes

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Nice one, but has the Hot smell now gone ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts