2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got hold of my first Type R and this will sound very novice...

I know what Vtec is and what it does but could someone please explain at what point does it kick in and how will I know?

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
VTEC kicks in around 5600rpm on a standard car (if I remember right). Engine sound will change and you will feel the pick up in acceleration. it is a very noticeable event so you should have no problem noticing it once you get the revs up (just make sure the car is warmed up first).:)

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
You can set the little LED indicator on the dash to light up when you enter VTEC, you'll need to enable it within the settings via the steering wheel and computer.

However, the more obvious way to notice is the pick up in acceleration and change in engine tone. Don't change gear until you have all the rev lights luminated!! :VTECSMILEY:

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can set the little LED indicator on the dash to light up when you enter VTEC, you'll need to enable it within the settings via the steering wheel and computer.

However, the more obvious way to notice is the pick up in acceleration and change in engine tone. Don't change gear until you have all the rev lights luminated!! :VTECSMILEY:
does that just light up based on rpm or is it more clever than that?

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
The VTEC indicator comes on when the VTEC solenoid is activated. ie my VTEC point has been lowered, so the led comes on when VTEC kicks in (yo!) and not at the original OEM crossover point.

The rev lights are based on RPM though.

·
I'm going fast again!
1,137 Posts
The VTEC indicator comes on when the VTEC solenoid is activated. ie my VTEC point has been lowered, so the led comes on when VTEC kicks in (yo!) and not at the original OEM crossover point.

The rev lights are based on RPM though.
Is this always the case? I'm sure I read somewhere that after someone had a remap bringing the Vtec point in earlier, the light still came on at the original RPM?

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Is this always the case? I'm sure I read somewhere that after someone had a remap bringing the Vtec point in earlier, the light still came on at the original RPM?
Pretty sure this is the case. However if anyone knows otherwise they normally share it quickly and I will hold my hand up in error and have learnt something new. I'm now questioning when my little light comes on and I'm certain it is the mapped crossing point...

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts