2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Yes, that was main dealer.

Not sure how it will continue - if I ever had to do something major like that it would be down to the good-rep independent first, then on to the main dealer for the regular service (for the record).

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Well, the Merc is sold.

At about 52,000 miles, the auto box started behaving oddly. It was not locking up, so the revs were all over the place. Then it would lock with a bang, much like a sledgehammer in the back of the car.

The dealer suggested I kept going until it broke finally. I kept going to 56,000 miles at which point I just gave in on it and traded it in.

Overall, a good car. Very economical and surprisingly quick. Nice and comfortable and quiet. Only two downers were the engine refinement (which got worse after a new set of injectors and a software update) and the gearbox with too few ratios and not good enough reliability.

Economy graphs:

Notice how the MPG seems very seasonal. This graph is a plot overlaid with the average temperature in Oxford (from the met office). Pretty good correlation!

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
So, what to change it with?

As usual, when you change a car, you tend to want to really fix the one thing that bothered you about the last car. So I needed a silky smooth 6 cyl (twin turbo) diesel, with a proper modern box. A car that was a bit less SuBo and a tiny bit more sporty would be nice, but also with a decent ride.

A6: Bouncy ride, FWD (or 4WD at a huge price), £44k +.
530: Ride problems again, bit dull, £46k.
E350. Quite a possibility, but a bit ugly and old, poor 'box, £44k.

And the Merc dealer?

MB: (looks down nose) I value your car at £11.5k.
Me: (shocked, as this is miles lower than other offers) Do you have an E350 demonstrator?
MB: Yes, I think we do.
Me: I will be looking for some form of discount.
MB: Mercedes do not need to discount cars in order to sell them. Will that be all, sir? (Walks me towards the door).

However... There was an outsider!

I am so impressed with the big 3.0 V6 twin turbo and new 8 speed ZF box in the Disco, I thought I'd see what it was like (same combo) in the new facelift Jag XF. The Jag is not perfect, but it is very good indeed. Fully loaded with all the kit, totally silent, smooth and powerful, and a sense of very high quality. The only compromise is quite a sporty setup, meaning slightly jiggly at low speed. The clincher is the fact that Jag struggling to sell the cars, and at Christmas Stratstone bought 800 new cars. So....

3.0 Premium Luxury, with the two factory extras I wanted (heated front screen and rear camera), in the colour I wanted, and interior I wanted, with the 18" wheels I wanted (19" and 20" just too bouncy), for £5k off list price (£41k reduced to £36k) and the most generous offer on the Merc. Compared to the list of German metal, it's a complete bargain!

A few days later, it's here. I have 17" Jag wheels with winter tyres (all from ebay) in the garage to go on tomorrow, but so far I love it. :)

And the two things that clinched it? You can do an Austin Powers and call it "The Shag" and the official name for the snarling cat logo is "The Growler". :popcorn:

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
that thing is the SEX!
nice motor dude, jealous much - nah not me honest.... ;)

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Ta!

What I never realised about the XF is that it is a proper, nice handling, rear wheel drive sports coupe. I always assumed that they were more "pipe and slippers".

0-60 in 6.7s? That's for my one (240 hp), there is a factory chipped "S" at 275 hp (5.9s), but the recognised Jag tuning company will give you 295 hp...

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
cracking car pottsy, good luck with it :)

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
That is gorgeous... definitely looks better than the current equivalent BMWs, Mercs etc...

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Very nice, I like the new Jag but everyone keeps saying they are old man cars. But then they say that about my Civic until they get in it.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Curiously, my one issue I have with the Jag is that the suspension setup is not old man enough! It's more M3 than Merc.

I think the issue will be durability of electrical parts. We shall see....

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Very striking indeed ! - but- where are the wings hidden ? ...

81 - 100 of 108 Posts