2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a keyless car if you get out with the engine still running and the fob in your pocket there is a loud succession of beeps which seems to be coming from the outside rear of the car.
I keep my car in a garage(unusually strange thing to do :D) so I need to get out with the engine running to close or open my garage/gates. I work shifts and it is not ideal to have this loud beeping noise early in the morning or late at night.
I have looked through all the menu options but haven't been able to find a way of turning this warning off.
Does anybody know how to do it, or is it a case of yet another thing that cannot be disabled on this car?

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You really don't want to drive off without the key otherwise you could get to where ever and won't be able to restart it.
Hmmmmm......I don't think you have properly understood my post. :confused:

Just for the record my last 3 cars have been keyless, I appreciate how they work and I've never had a problem. :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hmmmmm......I don't think you have properly understood my post. :confused:

Just for the record my last 3 cars have been keyless, I appreciate how they work and I've never had a problem. :)

The beeper is warning you that the key has left the car while the car is still running, this could be in the pocket/bag of someone who is not the driver, so you could then drive off without the key being in the car.

You could just turn the car off when closing your garage or leave the key in the car when you leave it running.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The beeper is warning you that the key has left the car while the car is still running, this could be in the pocket/bag of someone who is not the driver, so you could then drive off without the key being in the car.

You could just turn the car off when closing your garage or leave the key in the car when you leave it running.
Sorry Steve but your first sentence does not apply to me, you should have realised this otherwise I would not have made my post in the first place.
I have already told you I appreciate how the system works.

Your second point, seriously?
All I want to do is disable the loud warning beeps.
That will be a NO then.....that's all you had to say. :)
Its a wonder Honda trust us to actually drive their cars what with all the automation and warnings that they have put in place. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Leave the drivers door open when you get out of the car with the keys in your pocket and engine running. Beep should not go off.

Reminds me when we first got car, was unable to lock it. After a lot of head scratching had discovered my wife had thrown her set of keys into the glove box for safe keeping..:smile3:

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it safe to leave the keyfob in the car while you close the gate/garage ?
Nope, I certainly wouldn't ever consider doing that. The potential problems that could arise don't bear thinking about. :eek:
To me the major advantage of having a keyless system is that the fob never needs to come out of your pocket, so I have never understood people who put their fob on the centre console or wherever while driving. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
21,003 Posts
It doesn't matter if the key fob is in the car or not, if the engine is left running then someone could jump in and drive off.
I did consider that, that's why I asked if safe.

In my location it would be safe because I have a long drive. I thought if the OP was leaving the car with the engine running anyway. Plus, presumably, before the new keyless car it was being left running with keys in ignition ?

I'm thinking too much, need a rest .....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey,

I'm looking for a post about how to turn off beeping sound when the driver door is opened and key is inserted, for 8 gen civic.
Searched the forum but no success. This here seemed most similar.

Thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts