2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you want a radio to work properly do not buy a civic
Honda's Customer service have informed me that it in certain area's the radio will not work.They will not be doing anything about it as it is a characteri'stic of the vehicle.
I wish they had told me about this before i bought the vehicle.
The Dealer has told me there is nothing they can.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
:confused:

No problems here, and I have travelled up and around a fair bit of the country...

·
estranged
391 Posts
It's a characteristic of the the vehicle that the radio will not always work? I would have expected to hear that kind of comment from British Leyland in the 70s, but certainly not from Honda in the 21st century!

I would seek confirmation, and then perhaps drop an email to a certain weekly auto mag.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Only issues here is that the RDS can take an age to re-tune, did I see somewhere there was a fix to that, did it do anything?

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
half the signal in the sea

One of the problems living on the southcoast is half the signal goes out to sea so if you live in the midlands etc it will be fine
The man from honda customer service(name best kept to myself) will never win any prizes in my book

·
Registered
347 Posts
One of the problems living on the southcoast is half the signal goes out to sea so if you live in the midlands etc it will be fine
The man from honda customer service(name best kept to myself) will never win any prizes in my book
Find out the retail cost of the radio fitted to your car. Then send the dealer an invoice for that amount (and copy it to Honda Customer Services). If they haven't paid in a week - or fixed the radio - take out a small claims court action to recover it.

As an alternative, get a quote from a local I.C.E. supplier for fitting another radion of comparable quality, but working.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
geoff, I honestly have'nt had a problem with the radio in the Civic.

I think the first car I had with the ariel in the rear window, was, I think,

the Ford Orion 1.6 Ghia. Never had any bother at all, with any of them.

Perhaps your ariel or ariel lead is faulty, if not it must be the radio.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not the only one

Mine is not the only one the dealers own cars are the same and so are other customers
My other car a vauxhall corsa is fine

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Mine is not the only one the dealers own cars are the same and so are other customers
Could it be Continental Interference --- with you living on the coast ?. Especially as others in your area have the same problem.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Geoff,

What model do you have?

My EX has no problems on the odd occasions when I've listened to the radio - or more often RDS announcements.

However, I saw rather a lot of a Sport 1.8 recently when the dealer tried to repair my leaky rear window. The radio reception on that was terrible, in areas where the EX had been OK. This fits with tales elsewhere on the forum, where many (but not all) owners of non-EX cars have similar complaints. IIRC, theres a fairly hefty thread on the subject somewhere.

So at the least, make sure that the dealer has the problem recorded somewhere, and you have a copy. Then you are in a position to have it fixed later, even after the three year warranty is over.

·
Definately Female!
2,967 Posts
That is ridiculous - under the Sale of Goods Act a known fault has to be reported to the consumer before purchasing, clearly the dealers are not pointing this problem out to their customers!! Geoff if I were you i would consider taking the matter further. It seems to me that Honda's good customer service is rapidly going down hill, clearly they are under a lot of pressure with all the faults developing with the Civic. I admit the radio on my replacement car is not as bad as the previous car I had but it still has its moments where I have to turn it off rather than listen to the static and two of my stations cut out quite a bit. Have you seen the message from Damianscott71 on your original post "Poor Radio reception in Sussex" that says that Honda have come up with a fix?

·
Registered
106 Posts
There's something funny going on with these radios. I have a Sport & live on the south coast & (so far) I haven't had any noticeable problems. I have recently driven to Swindon, Gloucester & Oxfordshire & still no problems. I shall try travelling east & see what happens...

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Topcat, in this day and age, you should'nt need an exterior ariel. Most of our radios work fine, so the others must have faulty ones.
Write to Honda C.S , and ask them to sort it.

·
Definately Female!
2,967 Posts
I have already had a meeting with two guys from Honda CS (one of which was a customer relations manager) they told me that they are trying to sort the problem out and that one of their top executives has the same problem with his Civic. It would appear that we are all being told different things by Honda CS.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
snail mail

I am going to write to honda customer service as the reply i have recived is not good

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I think that is the right thing to do. If everyone with a faulty whatever,

writes in, and keeps up the pressure, I'm sure it will be resolved.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Honda will loose many sales when it is gererally known that the radios are poor. At the moment Honda do not appear to have a solution, although I believe a different radio is fitted in the EX model which is fine.

·
Diesel Demon
502 Posts
You/the stealer could of course try fitting an in line aerial amplifier. That might help. I wonder if any other fitted options are causing interference???

Hmm.. I wonder... :confused:

Damian

1 - 20 of 82 Posts