2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a problem with this product until now, but I've just had the plastic link that attaches to the short shifter and the gearing rod itself snap on me and had to drive home in 2nd gear. Luckily I was only 400m away!

Honda said I am covered through my warranty as it shouldn't snap at all, but here's some pics for those interested.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Is it possible that you didn't file enough of the plastic out and the bit that stretches to the bottom of the short shifter has been catching/wearing away over time and eventually given up the ghost ?

The other posts I saw about the syncro problems mate me consider taking mine off tbh.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the dynafile at work and took plenty off and the gear changes were exceptionally smooth, so I don't have a clue what's done it.

I've heard stories of people shattering their gear box because of these so maybe they're not all what they are made out to be!

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Certainly doesn't fill me full of confidence. I might just have to remove mine when I can be arsed :thumbdown:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No me either. A honda technician has just been and said that it's not because of the shifter that the linkage has snapped. The guy was cool and told me to keep hold of it so when it gets back to Honda it isn't noticed and it'll fixed under warranty.

When I get the car back it certainly won't be going back on, that's for sure.

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
To be honest any part on a car can fail for how many of these are fitted with out problem i'll be leaving mine on
As for the syncro prob I really dont see how it can be related, its the same cable pulling mech its just we make it longer so the gear stick moves less it just dont figure, is it just another case of coincidence.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the tech said it wasn't caused by the shifter but how many people have had it snap without one fitted? Knowing me, I'll probably hate the length of the throw when it comes back and end up putting it back on, but I'll wait until it's back before deciding.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I know the tech said it wasn't caused by the shifter but how many people have had it snap without one fitted? Knowing me, I'll probably hate the length of the throw when it comes back and end up putting it back on, but I'll wait until it's back before deciding.

To be honest this is the first time I've ever heard of this snapping... with or without the shifter!
The only thing that makes me totally unworried is the fact that if Honda thought it was in any way related to the shifter they wouldn't be fixing it under warranty.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be honest this is the first time I've ever heard of this snapping... with or without the shifter!
The only thing that makes me totally unworried is the fact that if Honda thought it was in any way related to the shifter they wouldn't be fixing it under warranty.
Sorry for being so moody earlier, I wasn't very happy after this happened, as you can probably appreciate. Luckily, being in the forces doesn't matter if I can't get to work, I just have the day off.

I completely agree with what you're saying though, the tech that came out after I'd posted this said that it wasn't anything to do with the short shifter. The tech said that I should keep the short shifter at home so that Honda wouldn't know about it, that way it would definitely be fixed under warranty.

Whether Honda would do it under warranty with it fitted is a whole different question, I guess they wouldn't as, surely, it is a modification to the gear system.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, they towed my car away and told me to phone them at 8am tomorrow to "authorise" the work to be carried out because I bought the car at a dealers 300 miles away.

I will probably end up putting the shifter back on, I like the feel of it too much. I'll keep people updated on how everything goes tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
To be honest any part on a car can fail for how many of these are fitted with out problem i'll be leaving mine on
As for the syncro prob I really dont see how it can be related, its the same cable pulling mech its just we make it longer so the gear stick moves less it just dont figure, is it just another case of coincidence.
Same here. I can't see how a short shifter would damage the gearbox. I think this is probably just a coincidence. Then again the shifter does lengthen the original lower pivot connecting point so maybe more strain is being placed on the connector?

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right guys here's an update. Let's just say that if I didn't have warranty I'd be £740 out of pocket! £592.38p for the gear selector rod and £150 labour. That's a sting for a snapped bit of plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
I bet they don't have to, but change it all anyway to make some revenue and slap more labour costs on :( Is that part a Honda only part too? I've got the megan short shifter at home and still think i'm going to fit it as i can't find another person complain about this snapping??

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I severely doubt they have to, the bottom of the black bit that has snapped you could easily put on. But as prada said, they need to make money and it is a honda only part.

Don't quote me on this, but the technician that came to my car to decide if it warranted going to a garage or not said that he highly doubted the short shifter was the reason behind it snapping, still, Honda have no idea why it did snap so I can only put this down to bad luck, but good that it was a warranty claim and not my own money.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
It might be that the plastic clip is not available separately and they need to buy the entire assembly.

Looking at the following:

#6 is what they need to be able to replace the plastic bits.
This used to be the case with the SOD in the mirror, requiring an entire unit to be obtained until they identified that so many failures were happening that they made it a separate part.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It does seem a bit stupid that a simple plastic clip isn't obtainable by such a reputable company. However, that being said, how often have they had a failure? I spoke to two different Honda garages and both said they'd never heard of one snapping before.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts