2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A mate has a 2.2 8G Civic and recently hit a nasty pothole, although the car is driving fine and seems physically unharmed he's been left with a number of warning lights and no speedo or rev counter. The only controls working on the instrument cluster are the fuel gauge and low outside temperature warning.

Is there a common sensor or reason that this may have happened? He's noticed the mileage isn't increasing either.

Cheers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
First thing I'd check would be the fuse that the instrument cluster uses.

Bottom row, second from the right, interior fuse box. 7.5 amp fuse. This is the fuse linked to the instrument cluster

It is strange that going over a bump would cause this though. That would lead me to believe something has gone on with some wiring somewhere. Worth checking the fuse anyway, before you do anything drastic.

Can't hurt to plug in a decent fault code reader too.

It might be worth checking who maintains the road the pothole is on, and getting in touch with them. You don't want to have to pay out a big repair bill out your own pocket if you don't need to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just an observation, this is exactly how the instrument cluster looks when the ignition is on, but the engine isn't running. So perhaps there could be a link there - the cluster somehow is disconnected to a sensor that tells the cluster the car is running? I honestly don't know, but thought this might help diagnose.

·
Registered
63 Posts
After testing the fuses and charming for fault codes, I'd then try disconnecting the battery for 5 mins or so, then reconnecting it. Could work, worth a go lol.

After that it might be a case of having the ignition switch and instrument cluster looked at, and possibly repaired/replaced. I can't think of any other connections, relays or fuses that could affect the instrument cluster.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good suggestions, thanks folks. I'll meet with him later and try checking the fuse and disconnecting the battery. He does have a claim open with the council!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts