2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

not been on for a while but wanted to ask you lovely people a quick question. Some of you maybe aware that I've recently sold my Type R, but the new owner has just informed me that the car has Warped discs all round? She had them checked as the car was juddering under heavy breaking which I assumed was the ABS kicking in...? (This has been happening since I brought the car)

Now, while this could be a possibility the discs that are warped, the car passed the MOT a few months ago? So how could that have happened? The new owner is saying that a mechanic is saying its unsafe to drive?

I struggle to believe that its unsafe as this has been MOT'ed and serviced (service by Honda) a few months back, and I am fairly certain that they are not able to remove the wheels of the vehicles on an MOT (fairly new requirement means that the wheels are not removed, or so thats what the MOT centre told me) so it would have been impossible to check if the Discs are warped?

I understand that an MOT is not a certificate to state that the vehicle is safe to drive for a year, but more of a document to say it is road safe at the date it was checked. But I fail to believe that the warped discs have been warped within the last month? Remember I've been having the judder under breaking since I brought the car....?

I guess my question is:- Are warped discs unsafe or just an audible annoyance?? Would this have been picked up on an MOT or service? If its unsafe, then why don't the MOT mechanics take the wheels off to look for these problems.

·
Boooooooooooooooooooooom
278 Posts
I dont seen why it would be a MOT failure but could be more of a Advisory?

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont seen why it would be a MOT failure but could be more of a Advisory?
Thats what I thought.... Therefore meaning its still safe for the road? Anyway, as I said, and MOT mechanics don't take the wheels off the car, so there would have been no way for a mechanic to know if they are warped. All of which suggest that any warp of the discs mean that it would still be deemed safe.

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
A MOT is just a report on how the car was at the time of the inspection. It is no warranty for the future.
Perhaps the new owner was breaking hard for some puddle on he road and then water splashed on the hot disks, so she could have warped the disks herself.
Also, when she bought the car, she took it in the state it was at that time. I don't think you gaev her any warranty, did you? :)

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
you can detect warped discs on the mot during the brake roller tests , it shows up as a fluctuation in the brake efficiency readout ,i dont know if its a fail but i have had an advisory for it before.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A MOT is just a report on how the car was at the time of the inspection. It is no warranty for the future.
Perhaps the new owner was breaking hard for some puddle on he road and then water splashed on the hot disks, so she could have warped the disks herself.
Also, when she bought the car, she took it in the state it was at that time. I don't think you gaev her any warranty, did you? :)
No, I didn't give her any warranty, it was a private sale. Just doing her a favour really. On one side the mechanics telling her she's been shafted (Which isn't the case as I didn't know about it).

They are saying its unsafe to drive, which i don't believe at all... Yeah it would be worth changing, but I don't know if warped discs are unsafe?!

on the other hand, I am asking you guys to get your views. Should I be going back to the MOT garage and ask them why it wasn't picked up on? Or do I even call DVLA themselves perhaps? Or maybe she should do this as its no longer my vehicle.

But like you say, the DVLA or MOT could easily say that its happened recently leaving her without a leg to stand on.

Tough one.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you can detect warped discs on the mot during the brake roller tests , it shows up as a fluctuation in the brake efficiency readout ,i dont know if its a fail but i have had an advisory for it before.
Oh this is interesting.... but still, if I gave her the garage details, they could easily say it was done after the test? We have no proof to suggest that the discs we're warped at the time of the MOT. Interesting to know that the MOT centres use a brake test to test warping though....

Maybe they were not warped then? ODD?!

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think this says it all really.

Stoptech say this (Who are one of the biggest manuafacuers of brake systems out there)

They basically saying that there is no such thing a disc warping.

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi
Im the new owner of the above mentioned car. Firstly it is worth pointing out that I am not attempting to return the car or ask for any payment towards the cost of correcting the brakes i am only interested in peoples views and experiences.
The easiest way to see if the brake discs are warped is visually and by running your finger down them.
When i test drove the car the brakes clapped when i broke hard and was advised this is the ABS but i knew this wasnt right as i'd never had that with any previous cars and put it down to the fact that the beauty had been lowered and/or fast road set up???? Long and short of it is the brakes are not as sharp as they should be and when driving the new love of my life the way it should be (fast) the brakes shudder alot. My question is am i about to be mugged off and really they are safe or should i get all the discs changed. Helpppp :D xx

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi
Im the new owner of the above mentioned car. Firstly it is worth pointing out that I am not attempting to return the car or ask for any payment towards the cost of correcting the brakes i am only interested in peoples views and experiences.
The easiest way to see if the brake discs are warped is visually and by running your finger down them.
When i test drove the car the brakes clapped when i broke hard and was advised this is the ABS but i knew this wasnt right as i'd never had that with any previous cars and put it down to the fact that the beauty had been lowered and/or fast road set up???? Long and short of it is the brakes are not as sharp as they should be and when driving the new love of my life the way it should be (fast) the brakes shudder alot. My question is am i about to be mugged off and really they are safe or should i get all the discs changed. Helpppp :D xx

;) Welcome Tina! Whether you look at my views as biased or not is unto you. But personally I would get a second opinion from Honda. For 1 disc to be warped (or uneven due to brake dust - which is what it is as what Stoptech say) is possible, but for all 4 wheels to be warped is a little odd in my opinion.

Take it to Honda, get there views, i've had that car in and out of Honda, for MOT's and SERVICES and they've not brought it up once (but the way, i've never gone to the same Honda Garage, I've always mixed it up) so find confidence in knowing that its been looked at by a number of technicians.

xx

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi
My question is am i about to be mugged off and really they are safe or should i get all the discs changed. Helpppp :D xx
And I assume you mean "mugged off" by the mechanic that believes they are warped?

x

·
Type EX,A guy called Mark
3,435 Posts
Hi

This is totally incorrect. Grooves have nothing to do with it.You need either a disc run out tool or to attach something to the calliper pointing at the face if the disc then turn the disc and check the gaping.

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
^ this is how it should be done!

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi
should i get all the discs changed. Helpppp :D xx
And yes, if they are warped then get them changed immediately.

Although not without a 2nd opinion as I am struggling to believe this guy who's checked them from what you've said. x

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes mugged off by the mechanic that told me to run my finger over all the discs etc not you Oli ;)
Ok im going to take it to Honda chelmsford and get a 2nd opinion so watch this space ??
oh surely this should be mine now lol
57 CTR GT NHB,Miltek Exhaust (Cat Back),Gruppe M,KW Coilovers V1's,FRS - By SumoPower,Ambient Lighting,Rear Camera,Rage Alloys,SatNav + HFT

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes mugged off by the mechanic that told me to run my finger over all the discs etc not you Oli ;)
Ok im going to take it to Honda chelmsford and get a 2nd opinion so watch this space ??
oh surely this should be mine now lol
57 CTR GT NHB,Miltek Exhaust (Cat Back),Gruppe M,KW Coilovers V1's,FRS - By SumoPower,Ambient Lighting,Rear Camera,Rage Alloys,SatNav + HFT
HE TOLD YOU TO DO THAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! SO HAS HE NOT CHECKED THEM AT ALL?

Yup, you've earnt the sig, mines being changed to:

Oli
Proud owner of a Skip with wheels.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
P.s... Introduce yourself by starting a thread under introduce yourself funny enough...x

·
Registered
17 Posts
When he returned the car back he came in shaking his head and asked to see the full service history and said i wouldnt put my kids in the car as the brakes are shocking!! then walked me around the car and told me to run my fingers down the discs.
First thing tomorow i will book it into chelmsford before I let it go in on monday

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.