2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
If they took it for a test drive & the i-Vtec kicked in around 4,000rpm I'd say they'd give you the keys back & send you packing.

·
Wife & Civics to support
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK chaps... many thanks. I think I'll leave it a while then. Only thing is I've got a 4 year warranty! Its going to feel like a prison sentence. :(

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Can you not just load the stock map back onto the ecu before taking it to the dealers?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
If you fit an exhaust and lets say your shocks collapse, gearbox lets go, water leaks in through the windscreen etc etc they won't void the warranty.
If anything you have done "could" affect that area you have an issue with then they will say no but otherwise they will honour it.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
If you fit an exhaust and lets say your shocks collapse, gearbox lets go, water leaks in through the windscreen etc etc they won't void the warranty.
If anything you have done "could" affect that area you have an issue with then they will say no but otherwise they will honour it.
Could Honda not argue that remapping the engine would have a negative effect on the exhaust, gearbox, clutch etc. to avoid honouring the warranty?

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Could Honda not argue that remapping the engine would have a negative effect on the exhaust, gearbox, clutch etc. to avoid honouring the warranty?

If you have a diesel yes as they know what the torque limit is on the stock motor and if they are suddenly getting DMF's etc exploding they know exactly why. They aren't stupid.
With the Type-R's its subtle changes anyway and why would they be taking the car on a road test anyway? If you were that worried you could always load the stock map file.

Fact is warranty issues tend to be with known items. syncro's, release bearings, squeeky pedal box's, balljoints. Even remapping with a supercharger thrown on isnt going to effect any of these.
If your motor suddenly throws a rod then yes they would look at that area and pull the data off the ecu and see its been tampered with and wouldn't pay up but luckily the motors probably about the best bit on the cars.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Whatever you choose to do :--------
Inform Your Insurance Company about it, as they will not pay out, if the "Old Bill" decided to take the car to bits after a serious accident.
This will never happen of course, as it only ever happens to someone else. ???????

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
They would be well within their rights under your warranty to void it completely. Modified cars are expressly excluded from Honda warranty as per their terms and conditions. Now you may get a friendly dealer who will process a claim for a faulty outside temperature sensor when you car is modded, but then again you may not.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
They would be well within their rights under your warranty to void it completely. Modified cars are expressly excluded from Honda warranty as per their terms and conditions. Now you may get a friendly dealer who will process a claim for a faulty outside temperature sensor when you car is modded, but then again you may not.
That's ridiculous and never going to happen even if they could.
It would void warrantys even for fitting of tires that were never fitted as standard!

If they were doing this they also wouldn't be selling aftermarket parts like suspension, intakes, manifolds and exhaust systems through Honda main dealers. But they do. Just look at the amount of Honda aithorised Mugen dealers.

Reality is they honour a legitimate claim even if the car is modified AS LONG AS THE PARTS FITTED COULD HAVE NO WAY HAD IMPACT OR DIRECTLY CAUSED THE FAILURE.

We all know they "could" reject any claim if they wanted but they do tend to try and keep the customer happy. :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
That's ridiculous and never going to happen even if they could.
It would void warrantys even for fitting of tires that were never fitted as standard!

If they were doing this they also wouldn't be selling aftermarket parts like suspension, intakes, manifolds and exhaust systems through Honda main dealers. But they do. Just look at the amount of Honda aithorised Mugen dealers.

Reality is they honour a legitimate claim even if the car is modified AS LONG AS THE PARTS FITTED COULD HAVE NO WAY HAD IMPACT OR DIRECTLY CAUSED THE FAILURE.

We all know they "could" reject any claim if they wanted but they do tend to try and keep the customer happy. :)
Couldnt of been said better :)

If theres any levels of doubt then the good thing with flashpro is it can hold 2 calibrations. Just upload the stock map in 90 seconds and it will never even come to light.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I had my clutch master cylinder replaced under warranty for a clicking clutch pedal just before xmas.

My car was mapped, with a toda mani and miltek exhaust. They test drove it before and after to confirm the fault.

No questions asked!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Just out of interest, everyone is sure that loading the original ecu map will not be detectable, is that neccessarily so ? I think it would be quite possible for Honda to add firmware to detect this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.