2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all

I took my 2013 1.6TDI Honda Civic to an independent mechanic to have it serviced and also to rectify a warning that had appeared on my dashboard: "Water in fuel filter" (see pic below). I thought I could have the filter replaced but it was an extra £70 so I asked for it to have that drained (It's due to be replaced on next service anyway).

When I collected my car I was told that the fuel filter in my car is "lifetime", installed inside the tank and not serviceable. When I mentioned about the warning light, they said they did not see any warnings. Indeed the warning has been a bit intermittent (mostly on) and after a bit of arguing I reluctantly had to go as they wouldn't believe me.
Too bad the warning came up again immediately when I switched the engine on. I walked back and showed them the message, they said they had never seen that before and they claimed that it's "just a timer". They connected a machine to the car and attempted to reset many things to no avail.

They asked me to move the car in the shop where they would attempt with a second machine but I had to go - and also the whole situation did not feel ok to me.

Before I go any further I would like to find out if my 2013 1.6TDI Honda Civic is indeed NOT featuring a serviceable diesel filter and - if that is confirmed - what the warning message means.

If the filter is instead fitted, can someone point me to a guide or link where I can try and drain it myself?

Many thanks for your help!
Tony

Link to picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b82k8dtp09zwi3d/water_in_fuel.jpeg?dl=0

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
The 2013 Civic 1.6 I-DTEC (mine is 2014) HAS indeed a serviceable fuel filter. It's not visible, at least from above the engine bay. It can be reached under the car, but it's not an easy task. Take it to Honda. They'll know what to do. Mine was changed earlier this year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

It seems that finding a decent garage these days is a tough task. Unfortunately main dealerships are also often delivering inadequate service...
I'd be happy to get my hands dirty if it's just a matter of draining it. Do I need a ramp to decently access it? I suppose the protection at the bottom needs to be removed?

I'll leave an adequate feedback online.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
popped in to Honda.

They asked me £105 to DRAIN the filter or £110 to replace it. I said I would think about that :x

I have asked another independent, he's having a look on Thursday. He said it depends how buried in the engine it is...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: the new mechanic found the filter (still a bit disappointed that it took him 5 minutes to find it but it's better than "your car does not have a fuel filter!"). The filter has been drained but unfortunately the alarm is still there so I'll book a visit to replace it. No money asked to drain it!!

Curiosity: he did not prime the filter when he put it back together. Car is working. Shall I be concerned?

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I had this problem, sensor on fuel filter was replaced under warranty. Problem gone!
As for independents saying that the fuel filter is a lifetime component - I absolutely despair.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

·
Ex-Pat Geordie! and Moderator
2,617 Posts
I had this problem, sensor on fuel filter was replaced under warranty. Problem gone!
As for independents saying that the fuel filter is a lifetime component - I absolutely despair.

Never changed it on my 57 plate 2.2 and I traded in at 150K miles and it was still going fine. But I will be changing it on the 9G. I'll have a look when I'm servicing it next to see how easy the access is to decide on whether to have a go or not.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Never changed it on my 57 plate 2.2 and I traded in at 150K miles and it was still going fine. But I will be changing it on the 9G. I'll have a look when I'm servicing it next to see how easy the access is to decide on whether to have a go or not.
Yes it's obvious that it doesn't need changing as often as some people say

. I think Honda used to recommend that it was changed every 2 years on the 2.2 then later it was taken off the major service schedule, probably because it jacked up the price by around 125 quid due to it being so awkward and labour intensive. I'm not sure where it is on the 9g but my days of car servicing are over, so not my problem!
As for priming after a filter change, if the engine is a Euro6 one it apparently needs some sort of dealer kit to do it because there isn't a priming bulb in the passenger footwell unlike the earlier cars. Also because of this omission you can't run the car totally out of fuel - the engine stops to prevent you from doing so after apparently displaying a tortoise on the dashboard - I kid you not but I've no intention of putting it to the test!

·
Ex-Pat Geordie! and Moderator
2,617 Posts
I've read that the Fuel Filter on the 1.6 is above where the Oil Filter goes, looking at the Filter for the 1.6, it looks an easier Job to do than on the 2.2. As noted, I'll have a look next time I change the filter to see how accessible it is to see if I'll have a go myself.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Oh, and by the way, if he says he's drained the filter, not primed it and the car is working - I despair even more!
Steve,
This is another mechanic and I was there when he drained the filter. He removed the bottom engine cover and removed a sort of a screw-cap with a short electrical lead attached to it. Diesel drained down the engine when he removed it. He cleaned the sensor and re-attached it. The car is working without priming.

Also, I did not find any mentions on the user manual about priming the circuit. Can you give me more advice?

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Sorry for the misunderstanding Tony, I obviously didn't read your post properly It must be possible to change the sensor without letting air into the fuel system, or I'm sure it would have to be primed to get the air out of it.
With my car the sensor was actually faulty, bringing an alarm up when nothing was actually wrong.
There won't be any instructions in the manual regarding priming, as Honda will assume that everyone has their car serviced at a garage, but I believe you squeeze the priming bulb repeatedly until it feels hard

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
There should be no need to replace a filter on a 2013 car. I've never replaced a fuel filter on ANY car and with a diesel, it's perfectly normal for a diesel engine to get water in the filter - diesel unfortunately often contains water and the purpose of that filter is to remove water. Should be a simple drain, prime and drive operation. If there's no sign of water in the filter and / or its happening too often, then suspect the sensor. Also, try changing fuel garages / brands. There are number of factors that can lead to water contamination, but it tends to be garage / brand / location specific:

https://www.ipu.co.uk/diesel-contamination/water-contamination/

If the filter is hard to get to then that makes me wonder if Honda are designing in high price servicing - my Toyota Rav4 diesel had the water filter right on the very top of the engine, - the hand book told you how to drain it. The problem with water is you really don't want it at all. Toyota took it so seriously the advice from memory in the handbook was to stop the car ASAP and drain it at the side of the road if the light came on.

This is a HiLux but shows where Toyota mount theirs right at the top with the drain at the base, all easily accessible:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RA108
The filter was drained but the warning is till there - now permanently. I've just returned from the garage - the wrong filter was delivered so I'll have to go back. It's it so incredibly frustrating and time consuming.

Steve
Honda recommends to replace the filter on my next service, that's why I'm looking at having the whole thing replaced and not just the sensor.

Why do I have a bad feeling about this? Why am I expecting the warning not to go away after the filter is replaced? I may wanna go with the old fashioned "black tape" on the dashboard! :D

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Hope it gets sorted out for you Tony. Unfortunately I now no longer trust anyone to do a proper job - it seems to be constant hassle with anything, not just garage service. I just wish I could do everything myself so I'd know that it was done properly first time.
RA108
The filter was drained but the warning is till there - now permanently. I've just returned from the garage - the wrong filter was delivered so I'll have to go back. It's it so incredibly frustrating and time consuming.

Steve
Honda recommends to replace the filter on my next service, that's why I'm looking at having the whole thing replaced and not just the sensor.

Why do I have a bad feeling about this? Why am I expecting the warning not to go away after the filter is replaced? I may wanna go with the old fashioned "black tape" on the dashboard! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello!
I got the same problem on my Honda Civic 1.6 i-DTEC -14. I have drained the filter (filter was replaced a few months ago) but the warning is still there. Is there a way to reset the warning without any special diagnostic tools? I have a fault code reader but it only reads the standard codes and it can not detect any faults.

I just want to know if the sensor is broken before I buy a new one.

BR,
Johan

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,471 Posts
Out of interest those of you suffering this water problem do you
a. Keep your tank usually full or less than half full.
b. If full run to to nearly empty before filling up
c. use regular or premium diesel

1 - 20 of 29 Posts