2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, there was/is water inside the side pods of my FK2 Type R spoiler/wing.

Backstory:

I bought the car in November 2020 from another country (with 52k KMs on it) so I didn't actually test drive the particular car itself but judging from the pictures and because the vendor was legit, I had no doubts about the car. The car came and it seemed to be in good condition (apart from of course regular wear that is expected when buying an used car) and it made me very happy (still does). Since winter is really cold in my country, basically as soon as I got the car, temperatures fell below 0 Celsius and stayed like that all throughout the winter right about until the second half of march. As everything began to melt, I started hearing the sound a McDonald's cup full of coke and ice makes when you shake it a little bit and that sound was coming from the rear. Immediately I suspected water in the tailgate and started googling if anyone had had similar problems but to no avail. As temperatures got warmer, all the ice melted and I tried to pinpoint the exact location of the water. I put my hand on the wing, shook the tailgate and right away felt water sloshing about inside the wing:

If I remember high school physics correctly, having a liquid slosh around that high above the centre of gravity of a car is not good for the performance so it had to come out one way or the other.

Removal of the wing:

As there is very little regarding removing a FK2 Civic Type R wing online (I mean why would someone do it), I went to my mate's place (since he has all kinds of nice tools and know-how) and we went at it by trial and error. I'm not going to go through all the mistakes that we did so this is how it should go according to our experience:

Note that the pictures might not be the best since I did not intend to write a post about it when we started with it

First, remove the plastic covers from the inside of the tailgate in the order marked in the picture below. Note the red circle as this is the spot you should start from. Try to use a plastic prying tool or something like that since metal screwdrivers can damage the plastic a little bit if not careful. The plastic details do come off with quite a bit of force/jiggling so it might feel sketchy at first. All the necessary bolts and such are under plastic detail number 3, but first 1 and 2 must be removed.

After removing the plastic details, remove the outer spoiler bolts found on the inside of the tailgate

The bolts marked with the red circle are the ones you need, the blue arrow one releases the light reflector attached to the tailgate.

Next remove the nuts and bolts that were hidden behind the plastic details (marked with the red circles). Do not forget to unclamp the wires leading to the rear brake light (blue circle). It is a good idea to have a friend hold the spoiler at this point since the wing will not be attached to the car any more after this.

So the rear window splitter and the wing are now free to lift off from the car, but before ripping the thing off, remember to safely remove the rubber seal around the rear brake light wiring loom from the tailgate:

You should now be able to lift the wing/splitter combo off from the car:

This results in an incredibly cursed Civic Type R:

Yes, I know that the wheels are horrendously scratched, courtesy of the previous owner, but he was also rich enough to buy an extra set of genuine Honda 19in rims which are in very good shape and those are under my summer tires.

To remove the actual wing from the rear window splitter, you must remove these three bolts:

Don't get confused by the other bolts/nuts as we put them back where they belonged so that they would not get lost and/or mixed up.

For those wondering what a few litres of water inside the wing sounds like:

This is where I hit the 10 image upload limit so the following images are going to be Imgur links.

Upon further inspection, the last pieces were glued together and we could not find any way how the water got in and neither did we find any way to get it out without drilling a hole, so this is exactly what we decided to do. To access the water without drilling the wing from the outside, a bracket must be removed and the only way to do this is with this tool .

We took a 4mm drill bit and drilled a hole through the fibreglass (red circle). Note the red arrow - that screw is hidden by a circular car coloured sticker. DO NOT remove that sticker as there is literally nothing of use under that small panel. The sticker just becomes ruined and you gain nothing from it. We tried to drill a second hole so that the water could get out faster but could not find a spot where we just wouldn't drill through the whole wing.

Now that we had a hole, all we needed to do was get the water out. Easy, right? Absolutely not. If you had incredible stamina and patience, you could potentially shake the wing until all the water came out but we didn't have all day. Luckily my friend had an air compressor, and with him holding the spoiler and swinging it side to side and me using the compressed air to shoot air into the small hole we made, we were able to get almost all of the water out. Even that took over half an hour and quite a lot of physical exertion but the results were worth it. The wing was noticeably lighter, almost all of the water was out and with the warm summer days coming there is now a hole where the remaining drops can evaporate.

To put it all together we just followed all the steps in reverse. I still haven't figured out how the water got in there besides a conspiracy theory of sorts that a Honda factory worker did a prank and poured water inside the fibreglass before glueing all the bits together. Nevertheless, you might wanna check for water inside your wing if you own an FK2 Civic Type R.

·
i-Vtec
4,864 Posts
I guess time will tell if its a long term fix. Would you mind if I linked your post in the How2 section?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess time will tell if its a long term fix. Would you mind if I linked your post in the How2 section?
Sure, go ahead. I will definitely post updates whether or not water still gets in there.

·
Super Moderator
4,141 Posts
Interesting that we have had exactly the same issue with the FN2 spoliers.
Still don't know how the hell it gets in to start with.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Honda need to start using tiger seal or similar & not that pvc glue we used in design tech in school

1 - 5 of 5 Posts