2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought my civic and love the car but this morning after a night of rain i got into my car and noticed a few drops of water on the centre console sliding compartment with the cup holders, when i slid the cover back this was full of water :( runining everything i had in there! the passenger seat is also wet down the side. I checked everywhere else and there doesnt seem to be any water. The only wet area is by the reding light cluster when i put my hand behind the roof lining, but it doesnt look like it could get to the centre bit of the console very easily. IM STUMPED :(

anyone else expeireanced this problem before? maby windscreen leaking??

ive looked on the forum and found alot of things about heater matrix and pollen filter but i cant see how the water could get to there from the heater matrix without soaking everything in its path and the footwells are bone dry so i cant imagine it being the pollen filter.

Thanks in advanced for any help! id really appreciate it.

Regards, Tom

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
I see that you don't have a sun roof, how is the seal at the top of your windscreen?

If the console is wet, could water be dripping from there?

Did you park on a slope?

Either way, you shouldn't have a leak so go hunt down the source.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Before you do any major clean up or drying, point the hosepipe at it from a few different angles and try and look for ingress.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No havent got a sunroof and i wasnt parked on a slope.
If it was dripping from the windscreen which to me seems the most likely it baffles me how its in that specific area and no where else.
I will be taking the reading light cluster out when i get home and investigating further and putting a hose on it, im hoping it is the seal on windscreen, somehow i think that will make life very easy, autoglass to the recue! heavy rain forecast this weekend so i may be gettin wet in or out of my car lol

·
**R-0571**
254 Posts
I had similar problem a couple of months ago.
My car had been sitting on the diveway for a couple of weeks.
The first time I used it after this period I had water dripping from the area around the courtesy light and roof lining.
On further investigation I found that the water was actually coming from the area around the hinge pins on the sun visors and drpping onto the front centre consul or front seats.
The problem was intermittent but I noticed it was worse when braking.
My car was due for a service and I got them to check out the water leak.
The garage removed the roof lining but reported that they could not find a leak and there were no traces of water in the roof space.
They did suggest that if the car had been sitting for any length of time without being used it could be down to condensation.
Apparently if you are not using the car or if you are doing a lot of short journeys and the car is not getting a chance to warm up condensation can collect on the underside of the roof panel and get trapped between this panel and the roof liner.
They suggested that I drove with the air conditioning on for the next few weeks especially during cold weather.
Within a week of driving with the air conditioning on the problem was resolved.
I hope this helps.

Reactions: xtombx

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Really? Kinda surprising that much moisture could build up.

If it is condensation, then perhaps you should grab yourself one of those large bags of silica?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i havent left it sitting as ive been driving it everyday but i have only been doing short journeys to be honest, I will investigate further tonight after work and try and find the source, it rained quite heavily last night so im pretty certain it is a leak rather than condensation but i will deffinatly be leaving my heaters on hot to try and dry everything out. it was shocking how much water actually built up filling the centre cup holder section, im just hoping it hasnt found another collection point else im sure ill soon be having electrical problems!

im going to remove the light and get the hose on it from the outside hopefully find out where it is coming from. but for now the mystery continues. I will keep the post updated!

Thanks alot for your help!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi xtombx, did you manage to find the rootcause? today while driving back home from work, there were 2 drops of water fell onto my hand on gear knob. At a closer look, the water seems to drip from my rear mirror socket which attach to the windscreen. i have no idea how the water get there as there were no crack on the windscreen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts