2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Washed the car today and decided to give it a hoover aswell. When removing the drivers mat I noticed that the footwell was soaking. The car has only been back from the dealers a couple of weeks as I had issues with the windscreen freezing inside. They said that the drivers door membrane was incorrectly fitted and was causing water to leak in. This was apparently fixed!
The carpet is not wet near the sill, but the fixed rubber mat is soaking and so is the carpet in the centre of the footwell.
All seals appear to be fitted perfectly and no water is present near the pedals or other interior trim.
Took the car to the dealer again who was surprised at the positioning of the water and the amount of it. Booked in for next week.
Anybody ever had any similar problems? I hate problems like this as the dealers don't seem to be able to resolve them!

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi DB SGT08

I have a 2006 EX Civic and have the same problem with water in the driver footwell. Its with the dealer at the moment but although they can see there is water/damp in the footwell area they have yet to determine where its coming from.

I maybe clutching at straws here but since this is the only post I found with a similar problem I was hoping you could tell me what they did to solve the problem. I could then try and help them to solve the problem.

If anyone else has got any ideas I would really appreciate it.

They have already established its not the usual air con problem.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
It might be worth checking that the outside air intake drain pipes are not blocked, as this will allow water to build up and enter through the vent pipes into the car.
I had this on an older Civic

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,178 Posts
I've had ice on the inside when it was really cold, is this why? I may have a leak? I will investigate it later. I hope it's not a leak. Last car had this and the interior seats and carpet had to be removed to dry it out. Also had the windscreen removed and resealed. Was fine after that.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Ok speaking with some experiance on windscreens . If the problem happened just after getting the screen fitted due to it freezing inside then its fair to assume that its windscreen related . ( did this happen, did you get a windscreen refit ? )The seals which you refer to are not seals they are are comestic trims . The screen is bonded to the car using a polyuerthine (something like that ) sealer which adheres to a primed surface . The trims around the edge are not actually required to secure the screen or keep water out .The then bonded screen forms part os the cars overall structure. The windscreen people who fitted that glass should be able to find the source of the leak using a ultraviolet dye which is added to a bucket of water . This is then sprayed on the car and using a ultraviolet light inside the car the leak should become evident . It is then a mater of patching in some more sealer from the inside . In saying that sometimes it can be tricky to seal the leak from the inside and the screen will have to be cut out and refitted . It can be quite difficult to cut a front screen without it breaking so expect a new screen . One thing though if the screen is being removed for a refit have a good look at your dashboard . Most likely piano wire will used to try and keep the screen from breaking when removing . It has been known for the dash to get cut into .
hope this helps

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,178 Posts
The screen is original, I will have a feel of the carpets. The mats do get wet due to snow etc on the soles melting. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the delay in responding.

The water leak was a nightmare and the civic spent a total of 8 days in the dealership before it was resolved (appears to be resolved anyway!)
My leak was actually in the drivers footwell and not the passengers, so could be a different issue altogether.
The dealer eventually traced the problem to a hole in the windscreen seal on the A pillar causing the water to run in and flood the footwell (literally flood the footwell). They apparently had to take advice from Honda technical as they had tried a number of fixes which didn't work.

All seems well at the moment, havent had a soaking footwell or solid ice to deal with on the inside of the windscreen.

Also, on collection the car had a large scratch on the drivers door which fortunately the dealer managed to polish out - all part of the honda experience!

Hope you manage to get your leak sorted.

DB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi DB SGT08

Sorry I havent posted for a while.

But to feedback on this issue. I got the car back with the remedy being that they resealed a body unit seal (thats all I was told so not much to go on)and they tested the leak and it was fine.

Unfortunately didnt have any rain until last couple of days and upon checking under the mat the problem is still there. My problem is same as yours with the water coming through to the driver footwell.

I think I will have to book it in again and perhaps this time ask they contact Honda Technical for advice as they did in your case or perhaps try the fix that cured your problem.

As you mentioned this is turning out to be a nightmare for me and I beginning to wonder why I ever changed from my previous generation Civic Ex to the newer one!. May sound a bit harsh but thats the way I feel at the moment.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just got back from the dealers with a similar problem water in the drivers footwell which has now started to go slimey. They said something about a crack between the welds in the roof was where it was leaking in and are waiting to hear back from Honda re a warranty claim. Ill let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive a problem with water collecting in the drivers footwell, but have just been informed that my warranty does not cover it. This is a pain as im going to have to do it myself, ive read the suggestions here but does anyone have any idea where would be the best place to start.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Our turned out to be a badly fitted windscreen, this was sorted under warranty along with new set mats and replacement carpet throughout. Although I think this was as much down to having a great service manager who fought my corner. Hope you get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey guys , just washed the car today and decided to hoover the carpets and noticed the drivers side foot well was saturated , I did a search on here and found this post , the passenger side is dry . I wonder if it's anything to do with my paintwork warranty claim a few months ago . It was in for the rust on the roof where the seal is on top of the window , I'm assuming the window was removed as they old seal they put in my boot , I wonder if the bond to the window is not right , this dampness cannot be good for the car. Anybody had the issue corrected ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi just an update for everyone, I found that the water was getting into my drivers side footwell via the windscreen bonding on the drivers side. I imagine it was only a small hole and was just letting water run behind the console. Cue some stix all or sticks like s**t down the bonding and the problem is solved. Had some pretty awful rain and no leak yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem lads. Water on the drivers footwell along the floor by the door. It seems to be coming down A-pillar. I am trying to remove the trim to try and trace where its leaking from. I cant remove this trim and dont want to force it.

imgur.com/a/Jw6SR

Tried spraying parts of the car with water to find the location. Didnt help. It seems to leak worse when its raining.

·
drives a shed now
1,430 Posts
I hate water leaks, a pain in the a….

If the A pillar rubber is in good order, and correctly fitted, then yep you’ll likely need to remove some trim to spot the leak. Mind you, the glove box is easy to remove, maybe look there first? it could be lower than you think, if there are no other signs than just a wet floor.
There’s a thread or two on here for glove box removal, but as not a how to, isn't listed in the very useful @Grayfox
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how-guides-only/376465-8th-gen-how-guide-master-list.html

A pillar removal isn’t in the list (that I could see), but a google search returned
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/4909-roof-liner-squeek-solved.html#post64486

Don’t have the keys in the ignition when going near trim with airbags, you don’t want to arm the system.
If you are concerned about hitting the trim, given there’s an airbag down there, disconnect battery for at least 15 mins (so I’ve read) and reconnect after refitting. Did some airbag bypass on mine recently, left it an hour to be sure and nothing went bang!

I have the same problem lads. Water on the drivers footwell along the floor by the door. It seems to be coming down A-pillar. I am trying to remove the trim to try and trace where its leaking from. I cant remove this trim and dont want to force it.

imgur.com/a/Jw6SR

Tried spraying parts of the car with water to find the location. Didnt help. It seems to leak worse when its raining.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with mine, had to remove all carpet in car as both the driver footwell and rear driver's side carpet/pad were soaked and smelled of mildew. Can't duplicate the leak/drips with a water hose, no matter how long water is ran over windshield, door trim, etc. (primarily on driver's side). However, leaks seems to be worse when car is in motion, and during a recent rainstorm, I was able to visibly see the water running down the front wall on driver's side, looks to primarily be dripping/coming in around clutch cylinder. I am second owner and as far as I know, windshield is original.

Any and all tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had once a problem with wind noise coming from somewhere near the front windshield above 60km/h.
I saw in a polish car service how they check a leaking windscreen seal.
The putted foam/soap on the outside on the edge of the windsreen. Then from inside blowing with an airgun with compressed air (as close as possible to the sealing) to see if bubbels are growing on the outside foam/soap.
This is quite an easy DIY job...if you have a compressor ;-)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts