2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so my car has started leaking both sides sun visors on the inside clips, so I have done some research and many cases is rust, but once I taken the seal off there is no rust on the paintwork, the seal however is really loose, so my question is, could a loose window seal let water in, it's not much but it's beginning to worry me.

I have gone to gatwick honda and they where really unhelpful and although I have told them this is possibly a design fault or a recall, all they where interested was in my money.

Would it be worth contacting honda UK regarding this or just fit a new seal in a see how it goes?

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Hi all, so my car has started leaking both sides sun visors on the inside clips, so I have done some research and many cases is rust, but once I taken the seal off there is no rust on the paintwork, the seal however is really loose, so my question is, could a loose window seal let water in, it's not much but it's beginning to worry me.

I have gone to gatwick honda and they where really unhelpful and although I have told them this is possibly a design fault or a recall, all they where interested was in my money.

Would it be worth contacting honda UK regarding this or just fit a new seal in a see how it goes?

Thanks guys
It could be the seal as water will find its way into places you wouldn't think.
My advise would be to get in touch with a local windscreen place and get a price for them to reseal it.
It might not cost much and at least you could then dismiss that cause.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
had this same issue start a couple of weeks ago, went to auto glass for inspection. Turns out to be condensation. I never use my air con, and was advised to do so. since then and using it i've had no more drips of water.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys left the heating on yesterday for a while and it's rained today with no drops. Will get a new seal fitted just for piece and mind as its a little loose. Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Yeah I had this the other day and it's just condensation on the roof panel. As said run your air con when using your car and it will draw the moisture out the car and stop. Mines been fine since.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Out of interest how do you get the sun visor clips off without breaking them?

I have the same issue and ive booked the car into a Honda dealer to have a look at the rusty roof...as I thought it maybe linked as my sunvisor has drips...but for the last 3-4 days ive seen no drips and its been raining a lot here....so I wanted to check as I first thought i may have rusty holes in my roof...maynt be the case

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Out of interest how do you get the sun visor clips off without breaking them?

I have the same issue and ive booked the car into a Honda dealer to have a look at the rusty roof...as I thought it maybe linked as my sunvisor has drips...but for the last 3-4 days ive seen no drips and its been raining a lot here....so I wanted to check as I first thought i may have rusty holes in my roof...maynt be the case
It will be condensation forming on the roof panel when it's cold. If you had holes then your roof lining would be soaked along with your carpets etc. As said drive with air con on and this will get rid of any moisture inside the car. Mines been fine since I've done that and I aren't getting condensation on the inside of the windows like I did before.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
It will be condensation forming on the roof panel when it's cold. If you had holes then your roof lining would be soaked along with your carpets etc. As said drive with air con on and this will get rid of any moisture inside the car. Mines been fine since I've done that and I aren't getting condensation on the inside of the windows like I did before.

Hi it does seem like this is the problem then...just below the sun visor clips the lining is wet...i checked today and its dry...if there was rust then im sure like you say..i would have had a lot more water.

If it happens again i will try the air con and see what happens.

Now im contemplating what to do with the Honda dealer...is it worth taking it in, they could muck up the seal and charge me etc.

Although i could get the radio sorted out and also the rear shock squeaking sorted out instead.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Hi it does seem like this is the problem then...just below the sun visor clips the lining is wet...i checked today and its dry...if there was rust then im sure like you say..i would have had a lot more water.

If it happens again i will try the air con and see what happens.

Now im contemplating what to do with the Honda dealer...is it worth taking it in, they could muck up the seal and charge me etc.

Although i could get the radio sorted out and also the rear shock squeaking sorted out instead.
Hi did window sea laying the top of the screen is just decorative, if you remove that there is another seal under there which is what stops water going in the car.

If you have rust along the roof edge where the decorative seal goes then you need get that done under warranty at Honda.

The rear squeaking shocks will be done under warranty as well.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Hi
So the big rubber seal above the windscreen is decorative?! I see.
Trouble is im just out of warranty by 6 months so all ive been told is il received a good will payment...this could be minimal and il end up having to pay £200+ I believe.

I rang Honda today, wanted to get the rear shocks done...3 year warranty...so out of warranty here also

CD (Radio upgrade) I also asked about....its not actually a warranty issue....I was told I can ask the dealer...see if they have 1 they can download...otherwise again they wont help.

Looks like now they may start playing hardball....the joys of Honda

Im starting to think perhaps taking it in isn't worth it....considering I haven't had any leaking sun visor and its rained a bit this week

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Hi
So the big rubber seal above the windscreen is decorative?! I see.
Trouble is im just out of warranty by 6 months so all ive been told is il received a good will payment...this could be minimal and il end up having to pay £200+ I believe.

I rang Honda today, wanted to get the rear shocks done...3 year warranty...so out of warranty here also

CD (Radio upgrade) I also asked about....its not actually a warranty issue....I was told I can ask the dealer...see if they have 1 they can download...otherwise again they wont help.

Looks like now they may start playing hardball....the joys of Honda

Im starting to think perhaps taking it in isn't worth it....considering I haven't had any leaking sun visor and its rained a bit this week
Yeah that seal is just decorative and has no purpose other than looks. It pulls out and then you can see the seal underneath which seals the window screen to the bodywork.

There are people on here with cars out of warranty that have still had the roof painted free of charge under warranty as it's a fault if the decorative seal has rubbed through the paint and it's started rusting. The issue really is not all honda dealers are helpful and it's luck of the draw whether you have a good one. Unsure why they are like this really as you'd think they'd want the work as they get paid by honda uk. If you have another dealer close by I'd try them see if you have any better luck getting it done.

Same again with rear shockers, if there squeaking first thing in the morning and then goes off after about 5 mins of driving that is a know fault. Cheap for them to do as well as just needs grease packing in the shockers.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Leigh...thanks for this, good to have knowledgeable members such as yourself.
Im thinking I may have a look myself but then il probably break the focker.

They get paid via Honda UK, if Honda UK say no to the warranty work, theyre out of pocket I believe.
So Honda UK must authorise the work beforehand...when I ring Honda UK, its a little comical, because theyre helpful but its as though they haven't a clue at times.

Yeah I have the service bulletin, I may ring the dealer tomorrow and see if they will add this to the list. Do you think Honda have to do this or could my local Mechanic do this?

Im really thinking sending it to the dealer isn't a good idea, they could scratch the car etc and I end up with them asking for money to get the car done. The rust doesn't seem too bad, so im half thinking about putting some waxoyl on it instead

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Leigh...thanks for this, good to have knowledgeable members such as yourself.
Im thinking I may have a look myself but then il probably break the focker.

They get paid via Honda UK, if Honda UK say no to the warranty work, theyre out of pocket I believe.
So Honda UK must authorise the work beforehand...when I ring Honda UK, its a little comical, because theyre helpful but its as though they haven't a clue at times.

Yeah I have the service bulletin, I may ring the dealer tomorrow and see if they will add this to the list. Do you think Honda have to do this or could my local Mechanic do this?

Im really thinking sending it to the dealer isn't a good idea, they could scratch the car etc and I end up with them asking for money to get the car done. The rust doesn't seem too bad, so im half thinking about putting some waxoyl on it instead
No problem mate, yeah honda uk pay the honda dealers to do the work, but I don't see how they won't pay for a know fault on the car where they have done it for others outside warranty and im sure the shell of the car has longer than 3 year warranty against defects. If it was me I'd be going back to them saying others on here have had it done who are in same circumstances as you or try a different honda dealer see if you have better luck as I say some honda dealers can't be bothered with doing warranty work and make our honda uk won't do it to fob you off.

The rear shockers anyone can do if you have the service bulletin as it's just packaging them with grease which stops the squeaking again I'd be trying get it done free instead of paying for something that is a fault.

If it's rusting and is left or gets worse it could result in you needing a new roof panel as it will affect structure of the car plus leak water in. So I'd get it repaired.

What I did when getting mine done was take pictures of the car at all angles getting the honda dealer in the picture and with date and time on so I when I picked it up I could prove how the car was when I dropped it off, worked for me and the damage they caused they had to put right.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
This is true, in my eyes its simple....if there is a known fault and they have been willing to fix this...why the timeframe realistically!
Trouble is they take your reg details when logging a ticket with Honda UK, so they will see my reg again at another dealership.
Its going to be interesting what they say when I get the car looked at.

Well ive been informed the shocks and the CD poor signal upgrade are both 3 yr warranties so my times run out but Honda UK did say you can ask the Honda dealership if they can do it....why would they do it for free though...stage 1 of passing the buck.

This is true, hence why im thinking of carbon vinyling the roof...

This is a good idea, which is what il be doing, that way like you say I have proof...id be gutted if anything did happen though, people just don't respect others possessions these days. Im just waiting for the first person to blatantly open a door on my car or take something off it...does my head in

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
This is true, in my eyes its simple....if there is a known fault and they have been willing to fix this...why the timeframe realistically!
Trouble is they take your reg details when logging a ticket with Honda UK, so they will see my reg again at another dealership.
Its going to be interesting what they say when I get the car looked at.

Well ive been informed the shocks and the CD poor signal upgrade are both 3 yr warranties so my times run out but Honda UK did say you can ask the Honda dealership if they can do it....why would they do it for free though...stage 1 of passing the buck.

This is true, hence why im thinking of carbon vinyling the roof...

This is a good idea, which is what il be doing, that way like you say I have proof...id be gutted if anything did happen though, people just don't respect others possessions these days. Im just waiting for the first person to blatantly open a door on my car or take something off it...does my head in
Have you rang Honda uk directly to see if the garage has raised it with them? As some garages make out they have when in fact they haven't.

So on my car I went to honda to get the roof done and they come back saying honda uk wouldn't do it cause it didn't have full honda service history (fist service carried out by abp motorsport to ho da spec), I went back and said I'd only recently brought the car from them and was sold as a full service history car and if that's the case I want my money back next thing honda uk had agreed to pay for the work.

There is a thread on here specifically for the roof issue, might be worth going on there and finding the people that fall into your scenario send them a PM and ask what honda garage they used then call them to see how they went about the claim and if what your honda dealer is saying is correct.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts