2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had all five of my rear lights replaced over the last year due to water getting in and then misting up when it can't get out.

Last month my warranty expired. Today after a week of sunshine I find my main central light unit has a lot of water in it and everything is misting up again.

What is the answer? Do I now have to pay every summer for new rear light units? I have tried using a hair dryer and cloth from the inside bulb holes but the lights are it seems double glazed and the leak is between the inner and outer glass/plastic. It means I now have no fog or reversing light. Will this also cause the car to fail its next MOT?

I was hoping to exchange the car for a new generation Civic but these are not going to be available for another year.

I am considering drilling a small hole in the outer plastic to let the water out and the air in to dry it. What do people think?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I checked, this particular light unit was replaced 15 months ago. I will however be asking Honda for a contribution.

I suppose I could ask that as they need replacing each year they shold be included in the annual service that I took out for 5 years.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dealer has quoted £250 for a new light unit plus £100 to fit. It seems that Honda UK have had so many people putting in claims that they now refuse to replace parts saying the condensation is normal. However I have half an inch of water sloshing around in my lights so this is hardly condensation.

The dealer did not want to sell me a new part on the basis that it would not last more than a few months and it was unlikely that Honday UK would ever agree it was faulty.

I was advised to remove the unit myself, dry in airing cupboard before drilling out to enlarge the water escape holes.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
My answer would be to have the lights removed and drill tiny drain holes at the bottom inner then no problem with misting or filling with water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts