2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone else have this problem?

When washing the car (not power wash - just hose pressure) / driving in rain I have noticed that water leaks out of the central rubber bung on the inside bottom edge of the drivers door when the door is opened. This is much worse when the car is parked at an angle sloping towards the driver's side (camber of the road). I suspect that water is running off the roof down the driver's window and into the door.

As a point of interest when opening the windows when wet, I have noticed that none of the water seems to be wiped off on any of the windows from all 4 doors, which would suggest that the rubber seals are not doing their job!

I have pointed this out to the local dealer who say that there isn't a problem - This doesn't seem right to me!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The windows not being wiped by them opening and closing is quite normal, I have seen this in a few new cars. Is water getting into the cabin when it rains or you wash the car? I don't really unerstand your description of the water in your door, but does it look like a deliberate channel for the rain to use?

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Watter getting into door is not unusuall. That's why all doors have hole somewhere in bottom of door to drain that water.
Also, as Bungle said - it is normal for rubber seals NOT to wipe water - otherwise they'd need to cause friction, and motor for lowering/raising window should work much harder (especially when window is dry).
Rubber seal is there when window is completelly closed so water cannot get into the door - but again, some minimal water may get into door, and it is not a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info so far. I have amended the main description to clarify the situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I've got what sounds like the same problem.
If it's been raining overnight, when I open the driver's door in the morning, water gushes out of the centre rubber bung.
The nearside door doesn't have the problem.
I don't know what the solution is unfortunately!

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
All cars exibit this to a greater or lesser degree. The bottom of the doors have 3 (if I remember correctly) drainage holes with rubber inserts to allow water to escape.

I have noticed that these inserts are easily displaced when wiping the underside of the doors and always check that they are still located correctly after cleaning.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
yep completly normal :)

If you ever get round to taking off the door trim (for any reason) you will almost certainly discover what is basically a sheet of plastic held in place with some extra strong tape :)

This is to keep the water (that goes in at the top of the door / bottom of the window) to go all the way down to (and out of) the bottom of the door without getting anything important wet :)

A seal that was waterproof against the glass would not only cause the motor to work that much harder (as per Nick7), any grit that got onto the window would then get into the seal, and scratch the heck out of the glass :(

Water - nothing to worry about :)

Just try and park on the other side of the slope / road every now and then to make sure both doors get a chance to drain :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
yep completly normal :)

If you ever get round to taking off the door trim (for any reason) you will almost certainly discover what is basically a sheet of plastic held in place with some extra strong tape :)

This is to keep the water (that goes in at the top of the door / bottom of the window) to go all the way down to (and out of) the bottom of the door without getting anything important wet :)

A seal that was waterproof against the glass would not only cause the motor to work that much harder (as per Nick7), any grit that got onto the window would then get into the seal, and scratch the heck out of the glass :(

Water - nothing to worry about :)
I'm not sure I really like this answer, but I suspect it's right. The problem comes if the rubber drain holes get twisted and block up, like they did in my car today - result, rear passenger door full of water and sloshing about! Dealer solution? They took the bungs out completely :rolleyes:, so now I have three ugly holes int he bottom of the door. Nice one boys...

·
Registered
118 Posts
If the rubber seals against the glass did not allow water to pass, they would also not allow the glass to move. There has to be some sort of gap to allow the window to be opened, as has already been mentioned. It may well be that yours are a little looser a fit than others but they are not designed to be watertight.

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
There is a long thread about the said 3 bungs under the doors.
Opinion seems to be, -- remove them, therefore not giving the water a chance to build up within the doors, if they where to get blocked up.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I had an issue with the interior trim of the door being wet because the plastic seal described earlier was compromised.

Dealer solved by replacing membrane and new trim under warranty.

They could not explain, i think they suspected a build issue as it would not take much during assembly to either not seal or tear it but replaced all affected parts with no questions .....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts