2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
are the droplets inside the lens? I can't tell from the picture....

Condensation is normal, but water droplets? I don't think that is normal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The water is between the lens and the rubber seal at the top edge. It makes the lens look like it is damaged. The water drops are outside the lens.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Yep it see it now, sorry. I don't really know if that's a problem, I'd suggest you keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse. As long as it does not get passed the seal and into the lamp, it shouldn't cause any problem.

You can ask them to look at it next time you visit the dealer, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
I can see what you are talking about - mine gets it too, the first time I saw it I thought the plastic was chipped on the inside. Some days it is worse than others. It can not be fixed apparently, I have been told by a manager from Honda UK that provided the water doesn't actually go into the light fittings itself it wont do any harm, It is because they can not make the seal water tight.

I also get bits of blossom in mine, I had it cleaned and dried out last Wednesday but now its back :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
are the droplets inside the lens? I can't tell from the picture....

Condensation is normal, but water droplets? I don't think that is normal.
Why would condensation be normal? My neighbour has an Opel Astra, and I never see condense in the rear light. However, my Civic does, and the dealer thinks it's normal. The quality of my Honda is a bit disappointing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Why would condensation be normal? My neighbour has an Opel Astra, and I never see condense in the rear light. However, my Civic does, and the dealer thinks it's normal. The quality of my Honda is a bit disappointing.
If you get condensation inside the lens, the silvering on the reflector will fail before long. Then it should be replaced under warranty.

I haven't noticed this on my Civic, but I haven't really looked. I don't think I've had a condensation problem in the lights, on any car, in the last 20 years.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Condensation cannot be prevented. No light cluster is air-tight.
If you get warm, humid air in the cluster, which will happen in the right weather, and then the lens cools down, the water vapour in the air has to precipitate as cooler air cannot hold much moisture.
When the warm moist air meets the cooler lens, condenstation will form on the lens. It's simple physics.

Until they make an air-tight light housing, which has 0% humidity of the air in the lights, condensation will happen.

I have had condensation on both front a nd rear lights of all my previous cars (Metro, Ford, 2X Renault, 2X Hondas). So fay I have only seen condensation once on the lens of the rear indicator.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Bungle,
Agreed, many cars have this condensation problem, but some do not. My previous car was a Toyota and never suffered, by daughter's car is a Seat and is very bad. Keeping the car in a garage seems to help.
I think the water ingress at the seals is a seperate issue caused by the use of rubber seals rather than bonding. Over time, this might cause the seals to deteriorate and fail.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I guess we just need to keep an eye on the rubber seals and see how they last. Remember we have a 3 year warranty so if anything goes wrong in that time it will get sorted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts