2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. My 06 plate 1.8 EX has developed a leak, saturating the passenger footwell. I have searched here and seems a few have had the same issue, but no definitive cause. I have removed pollen filter and housing is completely dry. Removed AC drain hose from bottom of heater system, hose is completely clear and unblocked. Checked rainwater drains under bonnet at each side and these are also fine.
It is definetely not coolant and I also do not think it is rainwater. The water has that slight smell, like when you clean out your house fridge, or maybe I am imagining that! The sound deadening material is saturated but not high up, meaning it cannot be dripping from above.
Anyone actually found a cure for this issue?
On the plus side, I fixed my folding wing mirrors recently due to the excellent tips found on here! :D Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
to find out if waters leaking in from a door seal , window etc.. hire a smoke machine and put it in the car close the doors windows etc.. and start it off
the smoke will eventually find it's way out if there's a leak anywhere

saw this tip on wheeler dealers and thought thats a great idea :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is an idea and it might come to that yet. I was totally wrong though, the leak is rainwater. Put the car outside last night with the carpet folded back and this morning there was a nice puddle of water in the footwell. It is dripping in from behind the heater/aircon unit, almost right in the centre of the car and right where I cannot see any further. Almost right above the transmission tunnel. Looking in the engine bay, I have the airbox etc out and cannot see anything dripping down bulkhead etc. Nightmare. Any advice considered!!:(

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Check the pollen filter and see if that's wet. There are a few other posts on this same topic but can't remember the root cause - have a search

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have searched them all, cannae find a cure. Already checked pollen housing and it is dry as a bone. Leak is a wee bit higher up than that. Of course that is where it manifests, could be coming in further away, will have to keep plugging away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been tearing my hair out with this! Eventually I can now see that the water is coming in "somewhere" high up behind the dashboard. Some water trickles down to the passenger side and some to the drivers pedal area. Only solution I can see is to remove the entire dashboard (gulp)! Already got the lower bits off and the glovebox out, has anyone attempted a complete dashboard removal? Would be interested to hear any tips or tricks. Anyway the darts will be on soon so it can wait until tomorrow. Cheers, Rich.

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
When was your windscreen last replaced? And have they sealed it properly?

sent from fraggle rock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, windscreen has never been replaced. Water is getting in from the drainage channel under the bonnet. I have trickled water in here from the hose and it gets in the car, not even near the windscreen. Dashboard out tomorrow, cannot wait!

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I had similar issue. Water was dripping from pollen filter. First honda said the ac drain hose was blocked, this sorted it but it still leaked when it really really rained. Anyways today honda said they think the pollen filter front cover is distorted.

They replaced filter, packing seal, evaporator cover and filter lid.

Let's hope this solves issue.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Well its still f**king leaking. I am getting annoyed now this would be the fourth time car is going in for this leak. And every time they say it's sorted . its still leaking from pollen filter

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Well the leak has been found. All I can say is check your windscreen seal.

Big thanks for Johnson honda oxford who have gone well above their normal duty to find this issue after a slight disagreement to begin with.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I take it back car is still leaking from pollen filter housing. Is there a remote chance that water could make its way up the ac drain hose when aircon is off and when really really wet and driving fast??

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
It's a strange one. Car only seems to leak when it's raining and I am driving and usually after 25mins in to drive.

It doesn't leak when cars been sat over night.
Here is a video I took:

So far they have replaced pollen filter and cover, and had window resealed. But they are now refusing to do anymore unless I agree to pay for labour incase they don't find the heater matrix malfunctioning.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Let it sit overnight and if there's no water in the morning let it idle for half an hour with the heater on. If the matrix is leaking that'll show it .

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
How will that show it water is definitely clear and not coolant.

It also only leaks when I'm driving and it's heavly raining!!

If it's raining and it's been left overnight car there's no leak. It only occurs when driving. The video above was after a long drive Saturday

1 - 20 of 45 Posts