2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know a way of stopping or reducing the wear on the bolsters of my fn2 also getting it on the bum bit !

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda defeats the object of having cool seats though huh. Could be good for regular journeys though I guess when its just me :rolleyes:

·
UKDM
779 Posts
I'm the same mate dont wanna drive around with a seat cover on

Plus those covers arnt compatible with the seat airbags which could one day save your life

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Kinda defeats the object of having cool seats though huh. Could be good for regular journeys though I guess when its just me :rolleyes:
It's either that or learn to drive without sitting down ;)

EDIT: Good point regarding the airbag, I hadn't thought of that!

·
ivtec just kicked out,YO!
1,007 Posts
How about getting them reupholstered?
Some people buy several sets of covers 'cause they're never happy how they fit. For a price of 2 or 3 sets you could probably get them reupholstered and will look like new and last longer ;) Airbag safe too
Btw. I was told that Honda doesn't offer (or even advices) seat covers because of side airbags

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
I'm the same mate dont wanna drive around with a seat cover on

Plus those covers arnt compatible with the seat airbags which could one day save your life
No one sees the seats when you're sitting in the car 'driving around':confused:

Also the cover has a lightweight zip up the back of it. If the bag can punch out the side of the seat I'm sure it can pop a zip.

Seen so many shiny/worn FN2 seats - It's the first thing a potential buyer sees when looking at the interior. Ass stains dont tend to make a good point of sale.:rolleyes:

·
1,007 Posts
The problem is not that the airbag won't punch through the cover, problem is that it may not punch fast enough. That's why they have special seams. The time is crucial for its opening, it's microseconds we're talking about.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
The problem is not that the airbag won't punch through the cover, problem is that it may not punch fast enough. That's why they have special seams. The time is crucial for its opening, it's microseconds we're talking about.
To be fair the curtain SRS will still fire as will all the other airbags. The seat bags will do no good against a car driving into the side of you at 70odd anyway. As the name implies they are Supplemental - as in - Supplemental to the primary restraint - the seat belt.:popcorn2:

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
To be fair the curtain SRS will still fire as will all the other airbags. The seat bags will do no good against a car driving into the side of you at 70odd anyway. As the name implies they are Supplemental - as in - Supplemental to the primary restraint - the seat belt.:popcorn2:
Personally I would rather have them operating at 100% of design than impeding them in any way - even if they are supplemental.
Not possible to have the covers on in a way (i.e. with cutouts) that doesn't restrict the airbags?

·
UKDM
779 Posts
Covers like that are available for other cars but not ours for some reason

I am also not buying it will easily just pop through a zip, the cover could do more harm than good in an accident imo so I wont be using one

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Personally I would rather have them operating at 100% of design than impeding them in any way - even if they are supplemental.
Not possible to have the covers on in a way (i.e. with cutouts) that doesn't restrict the airbags?
Yeah good point - did think about getting some cuts machined into them but in the end I have started to leave zip undone, the bags deploy with such force that the covers just going to rip up the side. No one sits in the back ever so doesn't notice.

·
1,007 Posts
Yeah good point - did think about getting some cuts machined into them but in the end I have started to leave zip undone, the bags deploy with such force that the covers just going to rip up the side. No one sits in the back ever so doesn't notice.
Actualy my theory is that leaving the zip undone is even worse... Airbag "explodes" with it's max power when it is suppose to break the cover seam and it continues to inflate but with bit less power. If the cover is loose, airbag will use it's max power to move and fill the cover till it isn't loose anymore, and then try to break it as there'll be no room left under the cover, but will it have enough exploding power left by then to break it? :p

Ah the philosophy... :alberteinstein:

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I think clearly the solution to the seat cover question is just don't get involved in a situation that would require airbag deployment ;)

·
UKDM
779 Posts
Even easier just dont drive the car and you will do nothing to put future purchasers off :rolleyes:

at 90 quid I will just replace the top section if it starts to wear through but the occasional brush with a suede brush off ebay seems to do the trick in keeping them looking ok for me as at 6'4 I cant get in and out without brushing against the bolster

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Mine are beginning to do this now also :-(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts