2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning Civinfo Electrical Guru's.

Soph's driven to work this morning and reported back to me with a strange issue. When the headlights are on the dash dims and when the lights are off the dash brightens up - the complete opposite to how things should be.

I did a couple of things on the car at the weekend but not really sure if they could be causing the problem. Changed the headlight bulbs to the really white ones from the seller on here (probably not the cause) and I also installed the wing mirror mod unit to fold the mirrors in when the car is locked, I followed the instructions and the mod seems to work okay but guess I could of cocked something up somewhere.

The car was also treated to the celtic tuning upgrade last week but think it has been okay since then until this morning.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Ian

·
My VTEC doesn't VTEC
1,110 Posts
That's exactly how the dash should work, use the dial to brighten or darken if you're not happy with it though.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmmm, I pretty sure it worked the opposite way to this before this morning. Maybe I've typed it wrong, I'll check with Soph to confirm.

·
My VTEC doesn't VTEC
1,110 Posts
hmmmm, I pretty sure it worked the opposite way to this before this morning. Maybe I've typed it wrong, I'll check with Soph to confirm.
It may have done if you'd already adjusted the dial, but as said above removing the battery would have reset the settings. The dash is meant to be bright with lights off and dim with lights on as not to blur your vision in the dark.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think I may have caused some confusion. It's not the 'blue' that's causing the problem but the displays for the speedo/stereo etc. Before they used to brighten up when the lights were turned on, presumably the backlight was turned on whereas they were dimmer with the lights off.

Soph tried the adjusting the brightness but she said it only seemed to adjust the blue effect.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,556 Posts
As above - should be the opposite way round. At night when you put your lights on the dash dims.

Full brightness stays full (rotate the knob behind the wiper stalk)

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess that way round does make sense.

However before, if I was in the passenger seat on a sunny day I could barely see the stereo display but if Soph put the lights on then I could see it again. Every other car I've owned lights up the dash when you turn the lights on.

Also just realised I posted this in the 9th gen section, can someone move it to 8th Gen if more suitable.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,556 Posts
Moved

Same for 8G and 9G though, turn dash brightness to max and it won't dim regardless of lights on/off.

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Yesterday when I drove all my dash/speedo/stereo light etc dissapeard suddenly. Now it seems I have like 10-15 levels of brightness. It doesnt matter if headlights are auto/off. I now can dim it down to invisible. Just like the car had an update while driving haha. I've never had it like that before, I like it :)

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,556 Posts
Update:

My 9G isn't quite as I posted earlier. The dash brightness is also controlled by the light sensor on the top of the dash.

I'm now in the window where daybreak is during my journey.

I started out with my headlights on and the dash dimmed (as posted). Then, with my headlights still on the sun caught the front dash of the car and the dash brightened up. Went under a wide bridge and the dash dimmed and then brightened up again when I exited the bridge.

·
Dervinator
1,349 Posts
The dash brightness has 2 settings.
Headlights on
Headlights off.

Each can be set independently from each other
I've yet to discover how !

I've tried just about every conceivable combination to stop the dash & HU dimming when lights are on.

Just doesn't do anything !

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,556 Posts
I've yet to discover how !

I've tried just about every conceivable combination to stop the dash & HU dimming when lights are on.

Just doesn't do anything !
Me too, I tried this when first posted and I can't seem to get 2 individual custom settings. Just one setting for how bright and one for how dark, same as the 8G

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
If I remember rightly (it's a while since I had a Civic!!)

With the ignition on, and sidelights/headlights off, adjust the dash brightness using the adjuster knob on the dash to the desired level for when you have your lights off.

Then, turn your headlights on, and use the adjuster knob to alter the brightness to the desired level for when you have your lights on.

The car should remember these two different settings for lights on/off like Grayfox suggested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem, it was the dimmer, I pressed it all the way in and out again, turned as well and it worked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts