2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Just picked up my new Type R on Sunday and on inspection discovered a wierd paint defect which affects both front wings and the bonnet. It is as if there are stretch marks in the paint which results in a lighter shade of red. The bonnet has spot marks as if something had been dripped on it. Wierd thing is the lacquer is spot on with no signs of damage etc. which means it must have come out of the factory like this.

Of course it should have been discovered when the car was being prepared but at least the dealer are going to sort it out. I am going back tomorrow so the service manager can assess it.

Has anyone heard of this before (Milano Red)? Don't have any pics and it is dark outside but will post some if I can.

Cheers!

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts
I would reject the car and get them to supply another
That is a good point, Robbo. In the UK a respray can reduce the overall value of the car, can't it?

It's not a good start and I would make sure you are not losing out in the long run - by that I mean resale value when you come to sell it.

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
reject the car

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I am mulling over whether to reject the car or not. The vehicle is actually a contract hire vehicle so technically I don't own it and the resale value isn't important. It doesn't say much for the control of quality at the factory though does it. I will probably decide tomorrow once I have had a chat at the dealers.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
You might want / need to let the lease company know, just incase they try to sting you when you eventually give it back :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
my milano type r has this but only on one small inconspicous part of the body work, its too much hassle for me to reject the car based on such a minor defect.

the quality of the paint is very poor compared to the seats vw and audi at work

·
Registered
91 Posts
Makes me wish that Honda give the VW/Audi group the design and let them build it - we wouldn't have any of these probs then (being an ex VW man). Still prefer the looks over VW any day though!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I am sitting at the dealers just now waiting for the paintshop people to come and take a look. The hot chocolate is a bit watery!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back home and here is the result. They think it is caused by the protective plastic which is stuck to the car and need heat to be applied to remove it. It is booked in at the end of the month. I am a bit sceptical about this but it is fair enough to give them the chance to sort it out.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Why reject? Let them respray it and get rid of the stone chip problem :rolleyes:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, that would be nice if it had any stone chips. I have only driven it 25 miles so far! Anyway, we will see if their idea works when they try at the end of the month. I don't think that will help their hot chocolate from the drinks machine though :) Incidentally, I will be getting a 1.8 auto Civic for the duration. Should be interesting to see the difference!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Goes in tomorrow morning. Interestingly someone else has posted about this issue. I will mention it to the dealer. I don't think the heat treatment is going to work myself and expect it to have to be resprayed. Anyway, I will leave it to the experts! Will keep this thread up to date with any news though in case anyone else out there finds this problem.

I worry that some people (Milano Red it seems) have this issue but haven't noticed it. It isn't that obvious unless you go looking for it...

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I picked up my Milano Red Type R on friday eve, due to the poor light I couldn't see too well but on closer inspection in the sun today I have found the same issue. Pretty much every panel has ghostly white spots under the paint, which looks awful. Will be going back to the dealer myself tomorrow to find out the cause and rectification etc.

Other than this the car is great, just a shame to get a problem so early on!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder if this is caused or a result of a batch problem? After all, Type Rs and all red. Can we share our serial numbers to see if they are very close? Can we private message them? Will be in touch shortly.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Spoke to my dealer today and he backed up the suggestion that it is the wax put on from the factory that bonds to the car when in the sun too long. They heated a small part up there and then and got rid of the marks so its now booked in to get the rest done - a happy conclusion from my view.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts