2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, difficult too explain the noise, but everytime i go over a speed bump, there is a strange sound coming from the rear of the car, bought it in November last year is it has always done it.. kinda just ignored it tbh! but now i want too know if anyone else has this problem or what the cause is? i am unsure if it is the suspension causing it, but it is a heavy sound when coming over the bump and dropping back down.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I have a strange sound at the rear to somtimes a knock somtimes more a rattle.. Sounds like its coming from the passenger side. Honda have looked at it and say they can't see anything wrong but want £80 to strip it down and check it properly. Kwik fit have checked and can't see any problems either.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess thats good-ish news then if it is the same sort of problem.. I took is as that is just how the car is, but recently ive been questioning it! sounds sorta like the rear of the car is coming down too hard or something haha

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, mines perfect on cornering, just the bumps really.. very strange imo.. :(

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Is it sort of a creaking sound, mainly happen when the car is cold and goes away as you drive? If so its probably a Honda known issue. There not going to fix it as it is not terminal, just need some grease on the rear shocks. Comes back though. I have a link to Loxy explaining how to fix it but it's on another forum. I did it not long ago, lasted a while but came back. I'll just grease them as part of maintenance from now on.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Is it sort of a creaking sound, mainly happen when the car is cold and goes away as you drive? If so its probably a Honda known issue. There not going to fix it as it is not terminal, just need some grease on the rear shocks. Comes back though. I have a link to Loxy explaining how to fix it but it's on another forum. I did it not long ago, lasted a while but came back. I'll just grease them as part of maintenance from now on.

Honda greased my rear shocks but it didnt stop the noise. It happens all the time not just when cold.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Honda greased my rear shocks but it didnt stop the noise. It happens all the time not just when cold.

Hmmm not sure then.
I have to admit I always had an issue with my FK3 with creaking. Drop links, shocks, springs all checked and never got to the bottom of it.
My FN2's shocks creak like I said which is temp fixed by grease but there also seems to be creaking from the tailgate somewhere.
Quite rattley cars...

·
Registered
179 Posts
A couple of months after I bought my 1.8 (2nd hand from Honda) I had rattles comming from the suspension. Honda said it was worn upper suspension mounts and replaced them under warranty. It solved the problem.

Shock knock is where the rubber bushes in the upper mounts compress and allow the whole shock to rattle up and down over bumps. Does this sound similar?

Reactions: BenCA2

·
Looking to buy a Type R
275 Posts
Could also be the plastics on the inside of your rear arch rattling round, least it was for me

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
A couple of months after I bought my 1.8 (2nd hand from Honda) I had rattles comming from the suspension. Honda said it was worn upper suspension mounts and replaced them under warranty. It solved the problem.

Shock knock is where the rubber bushes in the upper mounts compress and allow the whole shock to rattle up and down over bumps. Does this sound similar?
This sounds like a good thing for me to get checked. It does sound like a sudden bang on the n/s rear shock over bumps

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yup. It was very bangy / crashy.

Other cars I have had you could solve this by putting a large washer under the nut/washer at the top of the shock. This re-compressed the rubber bushes and stopped the rattle. Since my Civic no longer does this, and it was replaced under warranty, I did not investigate this solution for the Civic.

Reactions: BenCA2

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could be the mounts to be fair, might need too get them checked out.. it sounds like something too do with suspension/shocks area, hopefully nothing too serious though and pricey!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
is your jack loose in its holder?
you need to turn the jack screw so that the jack grips the side of the holder and maybe even stuff a bit of rag around it.
just a thought!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Just on the jack note, I just realised a few days ago my parcel shelf is creaking like hell! Think it might be since it was valeted. Took me a while to work out it was that, had to go around wiggling stuff.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the suggestions guys, im fairly certain its something underneath, just cant figure out what! will keep searching though.. now its in the head its hard too ignore haha

1 - 20 of 32 Posts