2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I started to notice a damp smell in the car, and some investigation revealed that there was a wet patch on the floor in the passengers footwell. Now we had a lot of rain last week, and I thought it might just have been tramped in by someone I'd given a lift to. The weather dried up through the week and the patch on the floor dried out. Then we had more heavy rain on Friday night, and on Saturday the wet patch had returned. There were no passengers in the car, so I know it wasn't brought in that way. I checked around the door seals and there's no sign of any leak there. I also checked the pollen filter to see if it was wet, incase the water was coming in from the ventilation system somehow, but it was dry too. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I'll want to investigate further, is it easy to lift the carpeting from the footwell to see what might be causing the leak? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.:(

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the vents at the bottom of the windscreen this evening, sorry to say all seem clear. Read the other thread about bad seal on the windscreen causing a leak, really hope its not that. We did have the windscreen replaced last year (because of a stone chip), but that was about 8 montha ago so you'd think the problem would have shown up before now. Will try doing a test with a hose pipe tomorrow to see if there's any sign of where the water's coming from.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
The windscreen seal may have been damaged in the recent cold weather

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
Check the condense water drainage from the airco unit.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did a bit more investigation last night. Removed the trim panels in the footwell which allowed me to lift the carpet up to check in below. There is some padding material below the carpet, I'd say its about 1/2" thick, and this was completely satuarated with water. I sprayed water on the windscreen and all around the passenger door to see if there was any clue where the water was coming from, but couldn't see water coming into the footwell anywhere. Most likely culprit is still the windscreen seal, but can't see where. If I call Autoglass who replaced the windscreen would I have any recourse given the length of time since it was replaced? Would I need to consult a garage to see if the water could be coming from anywhere else?

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
This happened to me once, about 2 years ago. My car was parked on a hill, with one side(driver) of the car leaning down, and the other side (passenger door side) facing higher. Was heavy rain that night, came back to car few hours later to find carpet on passenger side was absolutly soaked.

Dried out after a few days, was gonna take it to be looked at, but never got round to it. 2 years on its never happened again, can only think it had something to do with the angle i was parked at, but its never happpened again since.

Another thing, check your windows are up all the way, and remove the rubber bungs on the bottom of the door, incase water is somehow running from the insides of the door into the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did anyone get to the bottom of this fault?
I have just discovered the mat on the front passenger side absolutely soaked after the recent rain we have had. The carpet underneath is only slightly damp so the water has come in from above.
The source seems to be down the inside of the central consul maybe from the heater vent but it seems lower down than that and not so far back.
Windscreen is original and I have the car for 2 years and this is the first time I have noticed this problem. The windscreen vents look clear, any thoughts?

·
Living the dream!
8,542 Posts
Check the pollen filter as my guess the damp has come from the ac system, I had this problem 10months ago was really bad and found a damp pollen filter. Could not find anything wrong but refitted everything and never had any more problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wet carpet - front passenger footwell

I've had an 08 2.2. EX for nearly 4 years. End Nov 12 I noticed the carpet was damp in front of passenger seat but not further up into footwell. Checked carpet was dry around pollen filter (also dry) and passenger doors, that water was draining from outside of windscreen to under car, and air con draining as usual under car. The problem got worse when the car driven after heavy rain – there were beads of water on top of the carpet when the rubber mat was lifted. (It was water not coolant).

The trusted, independent mechanic who services the car first took off the black panels under the windscreen but couldn't find any obvious sign of water leak. He then removed the passenger seat, lower dash, centre console in order to lift the passenger side carpet. Carpet and thick foam underlay were soaking wet. To find the actual leak he'd to take off the front wing and peel back the inner wing (see photo). A hole was found in the inner metal panel at the bulkhead (see photo); this must be a manufacturing fault by Honda. When there's enough rain the hole allows water to drain straight from the rainwater gulley below the windscreen into the cabin and down under the passenger carpet. The hole was then welded up with metal plate, seam sealer applied and painted.

Pleased to say six weeks on the car's fine and the carpet’s dry. (Re-fitting the dash also stopped it creaking). Disappointing that Honda's quality control allowed this to happen – and involved a repair that wasn’t my fault.

With other reports on the forum about similar leaks there must be more Civics with this problem.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apologies for digging up an old thread. I've been battling a water leak for a few months now. I found a crack in the roof skin at the top of the A piller and thought that was it and it was sealed by tiger seal maybe 2 months ago.

Fast forward to this week and there was some heavy rain and I came back to find my passenger footwell of my FN2 just as bad as ever.

The carpet and the underfelt are saturated and I noticed the water was still getting in the same spot, just in front of the passenger door under the glovebox. I pulled off the black plastic trim and the bare metal was damp.

Edit: I can't post links to the images I uploaded unfortunately. /Edit

I'm guessing but I think those black cables are for the passenger door.

Question is, has anyone encountered water in through this way before and how did they solve it? I'm getting the windscreen resealed by Autoglass on Tuesday which could be a bit overkill but was wondering if there was anything else I should be looking at.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Holy super old thread batman!

Don't suppose you have these pics? I think my FN2 has the same problem, I'm sure the leak is coming from the rain water drain.

Can't see anywhere else for it to be coming from and it's totally spoiling my civic...

Cheers
Daz

I've had an 08 2.2. EX for nearly 4 years. End Nov 12 I noticed the carpet was damp in front of passenger seat but not further up into footwell. Checked carpet was dry around pollen filter (also dry) and passenger doors, that water was draining from outside of windscreen to under car, and air con draining as usual under car. The problem got worse when the car driven after heavy rain – there were beads of water on top of the carpet when the rubber mat was lifted. (It was water not coolant).

The trusted, independent mechanic who services the car first took off the black panels under the windscreen but couldn't find any obvious sign of water leak. He then removed the passenger seat, lower dash, centre console in order to lift the passenger side carpet. Carpet and thick foam underlay were soaking wet. To find the actual leak he'd to take off the front wing and peel back the inner wing (see photo). A hole was found in the inner metal panel at the bulkhead (see photo); this must be a manufacturing fault by Honda. When there's enough rain the hole allows water to drain straight from the rainwater gulley below the windscreen into the cabin and down under the passenger carpet. The hole was then welded up with metal plate, seam sealer applied and painted.

Pleased to say six weeks on the car's fine and the carpet’s dry. (Re-fitting the dash also stopped it creaking). Disappointing that Honda's quality control allowed this to happen – and involved a repair that wasn’t my fault.

With other reports on the forum about similar leaks there must be more Civics with this problem.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Are you guys sure the pollen filter cover is securely fitted? I've had a wet passenger footwell just after a service with the pollen filter cover not refitted correctly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wet footwells following windscreen replacement is no coincidence in my experience. I also suffered from this problem on a previous civic after a windscreen replacement by AUTOGLASS. The sealant they applied in the corner near the passenger footwell wasn't sealing the gap.

The experience taught me two things, firstly to mention this in the future to anyone replacing my windscreen in the hope that they'll ideally do a better job than I'd previously had and not leave me with a leaky car. Secondly, if and when I have glass replaced on one of my cars again, I'll test its watertightness ASAP following the replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hope this helps someone.

Hello,

I realise that this is a very old post- do you still have these pictures? Im having the same problems and could do with seeing where these potential holes are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts