2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. Been driving the FN2 in the wet recently, and must say I'm shocked! Not sure if there's a problem with mine (possible tracking/alignment?) but have noticed that when trying to pull away from lights/junctions/roundabouts it just spins up the wheels in 1st and 2nd even on gentle acceleration. And on twisty roads there's just no grip at all, car understeering and over steering massively. The wheelspin is really bad, to the point where I was on a perfectly straight road, no apparent diesel on road, no camber etc, and in third when vtec came in it just started spinning the wheels and wandering. Backed off the throttle and it went immediately into oversteer, which I kinda expected as that's the general progression o0f the handling on them. But on a straight road, using hardly any throttle, it's quite worrying. I was only using part throttle when it entered vtec, and the wheelspin started immediately.

The one thing I know that wont be helping is tyres. Honda fitted a brand new set of tyres to it before I got it, and theyre some unknown cheap make (Maxtrek ingens). Brand new with mile deep tread, but obviously not the best tyres to have on such a car!

Will this be the cause, the tyres? Or do they all drive/handle like this in the wet? Just want to try and cure it before it ends up in a wall! Really don't like driving her in the wet at the moment.

Whats the best tyres for these, and what do most members go for? Was thinking about Goodyears, as I had them on my MB6 and they were superb, so hoping they work as well on the typeR.

·
D and A said i did it
450 Posts
I had a couple of budget tyres fitted by the garage that sold it and had the same issue, had michelin ps3s and currently got goodyear eagle f1s on which are both great in the wet.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol just ordered 4 new goodyear eagle f1 2's! Always liked me goodyears. Was gonna try camskill but then I'd need to arrange fitting etc which can be a bugger round my area. Just paid £640 for 4 fitted. Damn I didnt know highway robbery was still around these days! Still Id rather throw them 4 cheapos into a skip than the car into a wall lol so getting them fitted tuesday. Looking forward to seeing what the difference is in the handling.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
£640 ££$£$£$£$, are you running 19s? 18s should not come anywhere near that price even with fitting.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not too bad then as Black Circles is coming up with Total £807.96 for 4. :D
Wholly crap! I've paid that to buy a car and sometimes got change! lol [smilie=shake.gif]

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I just fitted some Michelin piliot 3 to the car yesterday, fortunatly it was raining when I drove away and they are bloody brillient in the wet, hard braking cornering and hard acceleration when pulling away, till you hit Vteck mind lol

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Good tyres on a any car above 200hp makes a big difference.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts